• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ALU CPU container

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^ container to use dry ice or LN2 on a CPU.

@ speed, that's pretty high...how big of a block?

@ Maxi, no luck I guess?

They didn't have exactly what I needed. I did find a couple of things there and after talking with a couple of guys I was ready to try something similar to your idea actually. The problem was the steel the carbide cutter was soldered to. It is so hard there was no way to drill it, it just fried the bit's I tried without leaving a mark :D

I did find one online however, should be here Monday.

Hehe. Good that you found one online though...will be waiting for update pics :)

I checked on copper price last nite a 2.5" od by 12" long piece of copper rod is $150 before shipping. However you can also get it in 72" pieces for $732.

I might end up building one of these though apparently the guy who runs the lathe at our schools shop loves to do anything he can with the lathe(a Haas SL30) so I might be in luck:)

I can get 3" CU for $140 locally per foot. Speed that lathe looks nice, I'd be making all kinds of stuff if I had access to that :)

Yeah I am hoping our shop hires me after all the seniors they have graduate then I could sit down and build fun stuff with that or 5 axis vertical mini mill, and the coming soon HAAS 7 axis full size mill. :)

Thats also a pretty nice price for copper there if I end up building stuff might bug you about it.

I did find one online however, should be here Monday
Get a tracking # for that puppy...ie. is it definitely on the way? Lucky for you I've been too busy to bug you ;)

Found a good supplier today, $205 for all this :D

2 2 3/4" copper 110, 1 3" 6061 blank, 1 3" tube & base for testing two piece unbrazed design with center pole.

Container-Stock.jpg

Ross the tool should be here tomorrow, hang in there.

OH BABY :) You have no idea how hard I've been fighting myself to not bug you, LOL. Looks like you have plenty to play around with. I guess you have plans for both copper blanks already, eh?

Have you decided how thick you were going to go on the base or are you going to jump off that bridge when you get to it? CM/Preslers have no cold bugs that I know of, but I don't want 30C delta on load either, so make your best guess ;)

What are you using for a temp probe....just a k-type thermocouple? Exposed type??

...can't wait! I saw a CM @ 7GHz on LN2 and want to see how close I can get on dice. It does almost 6GHz on SS without maxed Vc, so I have my fingers crossed ;)

8MM base thickness. I'm cutting the container plate tomorrow and hopefully finishing this up. You'll need to get insultation & mouting bolts/backplate. I have a Fluke 51 II with K-Type, found it on e-bay a while back.

El<(')>Maxi said:
Found a good supplier today, $205 for all this :D

2 2 3/4" copper 110, 1 3" 6061 blank, 1 3" tube & base for testing two piece unbrazed design with center pole.

Ross the tool should be here tomorrow, hang in there.
Nice!

8MM base thickness. I'm cutting the container plate tomorrow and hopefully finishing this up. You'll need to get insultation & mouting bolts/backplate. I have a Fluke 51 II with K-Type, found it on e-bay a while back.
Thanks for the info on the thermocouple. No problem on the insulation and mounting...I'll get it on there if I have to hold it down by hand :D

EvilT said:
how long does the ice in the container last?

It depends on load and a few other things but basically you can expect 1Lb of DI to last 20-30min once the container is at temperature.

Mission accomplished ;)

The inside is a little rough but for a 10" boring bar and the wrong inserts :rolleyes: it's pretty good I think. The lowest inner diameter is sized to the fit the IHS on Cedarmill so the container has the highest mass and thinnest base directly over the IHS only.

LNZ3.jpg
LNZ1.jpg
LNZ2.jpg
LNZ4.jpg

I need some dancing banana emoticons over here, LOL. Gonna test it out this weekend? Can't wait :D :D :D

Ross said:
Thanks for the info on the thermocouple. No problem on the insulation and mounting...I'll get it on there if I have to hold it down by hand :D
Just keep your tounge off that thing

Should be a fun weekend. :cool:

Nice work maxi.

EDIT: @ Ross, Let's hope your FSB can keep up with that CM and locked multiplier. Not to worry, I'll overnight you my spare P5WD2-e, fully modded, if you hit the wall.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot proth! I should be OK, the board is all modded and if I stand a chance of hitting a good clock on anything, it will be the 661 because of the 18x. My board has run 405FSB, which would put it at 7.3GHz which I don't think is doable without LN2. The 930 will definitely be more fun if it hits 6GHz or higher :)

I won't be on it til next weekend, but I'll probably be benching for like 2 days straight, LOL. I can't wait to try this :D

Back