• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ALU CPU container

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ross.. if you get some LN2.. Get a bigger power supply (Zippy if need be.. :D )

looks great Maxi!! :D

Hehe. I don't see LN2 anywhere in my near future. The stuff is just a pain to work with and buy/transport. I'd have to get all crazy and find some way to gravity feed it and use a valve to meter it automatically so I don't have to...basically make it harder than it already is, LOL. Let me get through my first dice uses here first before I even start thinking about anything else ;)

greenmaji said:
Ross.. if you get some LN2.. Get a bigger power supply (Zippy if need be.. :D )

looks great Maxi!! :D

Nice.

Oh so tempting to build one after I see how nice yours turned out.

Good luck on the 7ghz Ross:D :D

Finally Ross I agree we need some bananas especially my favorite the Bananal;)

Thanks speed. I don't think 7GHz is really a possibility on dice and I am not going to run insane Vc's, so that's another strike against it. On the 661, I can hope that maybe it will suicide >6.5GHz, but the only thing I am really looking for on that proc are some real good SPi times.

I am definitely more interested in getting the 930 to bench at 6GHz or higher :D Too bad our cold weather is gone, so my "good" x1900 clocks won't be there for 3Ds :( Maybe I need to switch from a T-line to a res for the GPU loop and drop some regular ice in there too.

My insulation and thermcouple showed up today, so it's looking good for this weekend to get the "first test" out of the way. I dunno if I should start with an old 550 I have laying around in case things go "wrong" :shrug: I'd hate to mess up a good 661 or an awesome 930 on the first try ;)

LOL, yeah, they need to import some new smilies over here!

Ross said:
Maybe I need to switch from a T-line to a res for the GPU loop and drop some regular ice in there too.
No reason why you can't drop dry ice in there. Just switch what ever coolant you're running with denatured alcohol and you'll be set. Just keep the amount of alcohol in the res and loop low.

I was thinking about that, but was worried 1) the acetone/alcohol would eat through my HomeDepot tubing and 2) any carbonation in the fluid would mess with the pump. I guess carbonation isn't any different from what happens when bleeding it, but I'd hate to start melting the tubes/res from the inside out and send all that crap through the pump/rad/block.

We'll see. I am probably going to take everything out of the case tomorrow and see how I can set it up. I might just slap my big homemade aircooler on the card if I don't have room to have the rad/res/tubing laying around next to it anyway.

Does denatured alcohol run colder than acetone? I had planned on acetone or whatever HomeDepot has when I go in to get the mounting hardware, but if DA is colder, maybe I'll try it instead if they have it. I guess I can't smoke while benching with dice :)

DA would be a little warmer, but it wouldn't have any of those negative effects you mentioned...acetone very well could. ;)

mess up a good 661 or an awesome 930 on the first try

Ross the biggest prob I found when extreme cooling was the caps

If they are to close the CPU socket they freeze up and lock the chip

As they don’t like the cold

Try and insulate them also the 661 is a well known lover of cold

And would make your journey into this much easier

baz

Hmm. I'll see what they have when I go in. If it looks like I'll use the WC on the vid card, I'll put DA first on the list, otherwise acetone is easy to find and apparently cools better :)

bazx, I didn't even see your post there. Thanks for the info. I almost don't have any choice but to cover the ones closest to the socket anyway. On the P5WD2, they are like 1/4" away and I need to insulate further out than that for the evap/tube insulation to sit nice and flat on the mobo insulation.

The 661 works great on the SS (and the 930 for that matter). I am hoping that will be even moreso on dice. I am keeping my fingers crossed and will post results as soon as I get some :)

Maxi is the man :) The tube arrived today and I am getting everything in order. First order was business was to lap the machining marks off the base.

As received:
LNZ2.jpg

After ~30 min. 600->1500->2000 grits:
lap1.jpg

Yeah, but it is flat? You bet!
lap2.jpg

lap3.jpg

I have some more stuff to do before running to get the DI, then I may need a power nap because this will be a long night :D

LOL, yeah, but it would be a swift PITA to bling up the whole thing like that :D

My God, I forgot how long it took to do a complete format on a 160GB HDD. I just finished installing X64. I am downloading drivers now, will clean up the install and will let it defrag while I go pick up the DI. Then I gotta eat and will then mount the tube and get started :)

Maxi, cheeze man...couldn't ya lap it for the guy. We woulda had benches already...

EDIT: Just kidding Ross, take your time man, check everything twice before powering on. You don't want to waste any of that fine equipment you have there. And don't put your tounge on the tube.

I'll hang with ya man. Benching SP32 for highest FSB and tightest timings... Getting ready for Chilly's monster SS.. Just got the old lady a set of earplugs..

Last edited:
Great lapping job and tube looks great!

Hey where does one get that plastic for hold down? I have to come up with some sorta hold down hardware.

I made that hold down out of a kitchen cutting board LOL. Eldonko, I found a place that sells all kinds of plastics, I'm going to get some from them for the next one I build. I'll get you the name of the place on monday.

El<(')>Maxi said:
I made that hold down out of a kitchen cutting board LOL. Eldonko, I found a place that sells all kinds of plastics, I'm going to get some from them for the next one I build. I'll get you the name of the place on monday.
LOL nice! Now that you mention it, I have two of those exact same cutting boards. ;) Maybe I can scoop one without my gf noticing haha. What you cut that with, band saw, jig saw?

Back