• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ALU CPU container

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hawtrawkr said:
if your going to start cranking them out ill buy one :)

I don't think I'll be 'cranking' these out really just special order type of thing :)

What do you want hawk, aluminum or copper? I need to finish another couple of projects but I think I could have one ready for you by mid April.

Ross said:
rack.jpg

I can fit the SS on the bottom shelf if I want to (I have taller supports) and I have some plans to build a better HDD rack, mount the optical drives, WC rad and a support for the vid card/PCI cards.

Nice clean setup man...Let me know if you see any differences in max FSB or stability if you ever get the SS on that system without the case. You know how that rig runs within the case. Suspicions are that EMI is worse at high FSB's without the shielding from the metal chassis. Building a bench "plate" now that has a lid and EMI shield to enclose mobo, MCH and memory area to hopefully get stable-er operation above 1500 FSB and reduce random hangs.

Yeah, some kind of metal would probably be nice, but I haven't experienced any loss of OCability or anything strange since it's been out of the case.

I know a little late, but i'm still trying to catch up on my OCF reading :)

In any case, that is awsome Maxi! Great job benching there Ross.

Now when do i get one to play with ;)

Thanks Sucka! I think Maxi is still trying to find time to make some for himself, LOL ;) We did a little revamp on mine and I am hoping to test it out this week. I'll post back when I get some results with it.

Ross said:
Thanks Sucka! I think Maxi is still trying to find time to make some for himself, LOL ;) We did a little revamp on mine and I am hoping to test it out this week. I'll post back when I get some results with it.

I'll keep my eyes open for that.

Looks pretty good man! Im curious though, would it possibly be better to have fins down there of some sort(pins) and is brazing needed? I have a couple big 2" copper pipes that are wanting to be made into LN2 tubes. I'd mill a base to accept them, make a groove for them to slide into and braze or solder(if solder will work fine)

Jon

I think the tubes with fins/pins/mazes/rods/etc. built into the bases are better for LN2 than DI for the most part. A lot of people use 2-piece tube designs just because it's a lot easier. Your idea certainly wouldn't not work. I've seen that done with a 2" copper pipe+cap on DI and it has decent results, but there's a lot of factors in tubes, like base/wall thickness.

That being said, I built one like you're talking about last weekend for my NB :D I haven't tried it out yet, but it was cheap, quick and the NB doesn't need nearly the capacity that the CPU does, so I figured I'd give it a shot. 1" OD copper tube + cap.

nb_di1.jpg

nb_di2.jpg

nb_di4.jpg

No where yet, LOL. I can't seem to tear myself away from Oblivion to run to the store and get DI to test on the revamped CPU tube or the NB tube. Like I said last week, "I'll get to it sometime this week" :) I am not expecting a lot since I don't have a CPU that will run 400FSB+ without running into issues on its' own. The 930 is the closest, but it has it's own problems close to that speed (hot as hell), LOL. I only need 4FSB more for an even 6GHz on it though and I am hoping this will do it. My 670 did 406FSB max, but I want the NB tube more for Conroe than anything :sn:

^^^ LOL :D

Epox, you really could make one yourself easily, but I have enough tubing to make like 20 of them, hehe. There's no engineering in mine at all, just a copper tube with a cap soldered on. It should be OK since the NB doesn't need a lot, but let me see how it works one of these days and I'll report back. It works OK as just a passive sink so far...it's been on the NB just like in the pics since I made it :D

Back