• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ALU CPU container

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OMG, I had a long post all typed out clicked the link to get my CPU-Z validation link and lost it, so here's the short version, LOL.

Temp probe mounted. It's a bare-end pressed up against the side of the IHS. It seems pretty accurate, reading 2-3C lower than SpeedFan does.
probe.jpg

First fill! Yay, CO2 smoke :)
di1.jpg

Lowest temp I read was -62C with the system off. At 5.6-5.8GHz, it was in the -56C to -58C range at idle. For short loads (SPi 1M), it would move 4-5C and for super-long loads (SPi 32M), it would move 6-7C. Pretty impressive for an AL tube this size and I didn't get the hang of things really until the last bench I did, so they may even be a tad better.
di2.jpg

Like I said I didn't get the hang of the quantity/frequency really until the last bench (SPi 32M). I did about 5 32M and they all crashed at iteration 19-22. When I finally figured out I was using way too much DI, the last one finally finished and it couldn't even give me a 19m 59.999s. All the ones that crashed were faster up to the points thet died too. I think I'll be hitting this one again tomorrow. Yes, I forgot to pull the window before I started.
2001500.gif

SPi 1M, pretty self-explanatory.
22750.gif

Not a real big gain going from SS (5.8GHz) -> DI, but that's just the proc's fault. In any event, I am officially in the 6GHz club now :D Hopefully the 930 does at least as well. [url="http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=78074]CPU-Z verification[/url].
78074.png

For anyone who cares, no DEG in the socket and ZERO condensation anywhere other than the top of the tube and it was on there for a good 6 hours.

Many, many thanks to Maxi....this 6Ghz is for you ;)

Excellent benching Ross, especially for a first go with DI. Insulation, setup, container all look really good on your board.

I never thought I'd have an Intel bench dedicated to me ;) but I am honored anyway.

Thanks Maxi ;) Yeah, I am definitely glad I didn't go for the 1" thick insulation, that would've been a nightmare and this stuff did just fine. No burns on me and no blown gear, I guess that qualifies as a "successful" first DI use :D

Weird I was thinking that was the 1" stuff, kinda dwarfs the container a little :D

Anyway the insulation I have on the Mousepot sweats a little so thicker if it fits is definately better ;)

Wow. Rather nice setup guys, and nice run Ross.

Very nice job on the tube and the lapping job guys. Just for the heck of it, how long does a tube like that take to mill out?

And Ross, I love the compressor wheel floating in the plexi cube. :D What's it from?

Thanks Slayer! It's a Mistu 16G wheel from a DSM/Evo.

Maxi, yeah, it's a little thick for 3/4", but I think that stuff is slightly "oversized". It definitely wasn't that fat when I was done for the night ;)

Actually been thinking that for awhile now bazx ;)

Hey Ross, forgot to ask you. Did you get any condensation on the mounting plate?

Thanks bazx! I cleaned it up a little more too :) I am going to keep it naked from now on:
rack.jpg

I can fit the SS on the bottom shelf if I want to (I have taller supports) and I have some plans to build a better HDD rack, mount the optical drives, WC rad and a support for the vid card/PCI cards.

Maxi, no condensation around the hold down at all...the insulation was fit tight top and bottom and the nylon, polyethylene or whatever those boards are made out of certainly don't seem to transfer heat far. It was cool afterwards, but not cold or freezing.

Ross said:
For anyone who cares, no DEG in the socket and ZERO condensation anywhere other than the top of the tube and it was on there for a good 6 hours.

Many, many thanks to Maxi....this 6Ghz is for you ;)
ive been pondering this exact question for a while now...

did/do you use Di-elect *IN* the socket on you SS setup?

AWESOME work BTW (benches AND set-up looks).... with summer coming, im really thinking of going D-I rather than needing to run the AC as much... seems like a win/win to me :)

hi joe i used Di-elect in the socket once never again stuff stick like sht to a blanket

still the best is vapo grease as it will go with a bit of contact spray

bazx said:
hi joe i used Di-elect in the socket once never again stuff stick like sht to a blanket

still the best is vapo grease as it will go with a bit of contact spray

i put some in all my s478 boards i put under phase but only used it on my first 775 board. after having some problems with it and removing my cpu (thing was wanting to stick to the pins) i didnt use any in it again. now i have put a small layer of deg on the cpu itself to protect it since they tend to cost much more than the mobo but no more on the pins on 775 for me. i talked to fugger and he told me how he never used deg, of course he lives in the middle of a desert and i live in the humidity capital of the world (well just about) and that can make a bit of a diffrence.

great results with the di there ross and nice tube maxi :thup:

Ross said:
Maxi, no condensation around the hold down at all...the insulation was fit tight top and bottom and the nylon, polyethylene or whatever those boards are made out of certainly don't seem to transfer heat far. It was cool afterwards, but not cold or freezing.

Interesting, The mousepot hold down freezes pretty quickly. Looks like the plastic in those cutting boards is better for this. I was wondering if the rougher surface would not seal as well but it looks like that's not a problem :)

Eldonko said:
Hey where does one get that plastic for hold down? I have to come up with some sorta hold down hardware.

Hey Eldonko,

Laird Plastics, http://www.lairdplastics.com

But maybe these cutting boards are better ;)

@joe, I used DEG once and never again too. I also covered the contacts on a 775 proc once too and then never again. On a 775 socket, I mean just the open area directly under the core, not the whole socket. People who fill the entire 775 have a tendency to bend the pins when installing procs because they have no room to move. If I had a 478 proc or a proc with pins, I'd probably put some in the socket holes. It's just extra insurance, a little messy and adds to the install time.

DI is nice for benching, but the only real option for running often/long periods is a nice single stage phase system. DI is great for benching, not a long term solution.

@Maxi, nah, that board works great! So when's the copper one getting done :D

Ross said:
DI is great for benching, not a long term solution.

No kidding...I wish I didn't have this tube. So addicting, I just can't stop...can't tell myself that dry ice doesn't grown on a tree either. :D

Maybe in a couple of weeks, are you thinking you need one?
I'll let you know after I get the dual core on there this weekend, but I am thinking more like I want one than I need one ATM ;)

would be fun to throw a new intel under one for a change of pace.
There's just something fun about seeing 6GHz whether it benches higher than an AMD or not :D

So addicting, I just can't stop...can't tell myself that dry ice doesn't grown on a tree either
HA! Why do you think I put it on a DIY rack and not back in a $250 case?! Unfortunately for me, my local grocery store sells DI, is open 24/7 and is less than 2 miles away...makes it real hard on me :)

Back