• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 965 Newbie Oc help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicksonjoe

Registered
Hi guys, I have the Gigabyte 970A-DS3 motherboard and 965 BE.

I have never overclocked before. It is running at 3.4 at the moment, is there a way I can push this cpu to a higher level?

Thanks.

Just up the multiplier in BIOS from 17 to 19, with all voltages at stock, then run a stability test like Prime95 for a bit.

Quick and easy 3.8 GHz OC from 3.4 ;)

Just up the multiplier in BIOS from 17 to 19, with all voltages at stock, then run a stability test like Prime95 for a bit.

Quick and easy 3.8 GHz OC from 3.4 ;)

thanks!! it was sucuessful, u think i can push it to 4ghz?? and how do u oc the rams? i have 4gb 1333 mushkin. Thanks.

thanks!! it was sucuessful, u think i can push it to 4ghz?? and how do u oc the rams? i have 4gb 1333 mushkin. Thanks.

Just keep increasing the multiplier by .5x until you can no longer pass a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. You should also be monitoring your core and CPU socket temps with software. Most of us use HWMonitor. It's free. Have it open before you start Prime95 and leave it open during the test. You don't want either the core temps or the CPU socket temps to exceed about 65c for safety sake and you may become unstable before that. Until those temps are reached, add a little CPU voltage to restore stability when you fail Prime95.

Are you using the stock CPU cooler or an aftermarket goodie?

I am willing to guess that he is running the stock cooler.
On great CPUs that isn't totally out of reach, CPU-NB can usually be undervolted a bit at stock to save on heat.

I managed to OC to 4ghz. Using Zalman cpu heatsink fan.

Where do I go to overclock the rams? I have 4 gigs of 1333 rams.
Is it the DRAM configuration? Thanks.

Most of the guys here will tell you not to overclock the DRAM and chances are it is already running at 1333.

If you are stable at 4 GHz then we can start messing with DRAM overclock.

Can you use the validate function of CPU-Z (Google) and post the link here with the CPU at 4 GHz?

Also, download HWMonitor from the same website, cpuid.com and post up a screenshot of that. For that one, start the program before stress testing, at idle, then load the cpu for 10-15 minutes and take the screenshot.

Yes sure.
I just bought new rams actually, i switched over to 1600mhz corsairs ^^

Here is my url

You may find that you cannot run the ram at 1600 mhz and be stable. The Deneb core Phenom IIs had a relatively weak integrated memory controller and most folks coming through this forum are not able to run 1600 mhz ram at the full 1600 mhz. The capability of the ram is not the issue but the capability of the CPU's integrated memory controller.

You may find that you cannot run the ram at 1600 mhz and be stable. The Deneb core Phenom IIs had a relatively weak integrated memory controller and most folks coming through this forum are not able to run 1600 mhz ram at the full 1600 mhz. The capability of the ram is not the issue but the capability of the CPU's integrated memory controller.
trents I promise you that this is because of user error and not the IMC.

Some early C2 (2008) had issues with ram over 1600, but generally all Phenom II can run 1600-1700 in case of C2 and 1800 is easy on almost every C3 CPU with the worst ones getting stuck in upper 1700s.

You may think that I am only speaking from my own experience with the 4 chips that I've had but keep in mind I converse with other overclockers and see results on a consistent basis of tens to hundreds of CPUs.

Oh wow, would you please teach me on how to overclock them in bios?
If you don't mind.

It is currently 1:30AM here and I have to be up at 6, at about 10AM EST I will be able to come back and write out a more thorough guide/explanation.

GA-970A-DS3
Corsair 8 gb 1600mhz
AMD phenom BE oc to 4.0ghz.
Video Card 4870

scaled.php

To overclock DRAM, first:
"Set Memory Clock" - set to Manual
Set Memory Clock ratio to x8.00 which equals 1600 MHz.

Set DRAM voltage control to the stock voltage of your DRAM, can be found on the DRAM, also probably the package, on the website, wherever you bought it in specifications.

You can also set CPU-NB (CPU NorthBridge Freq) to 2600 MHz and set CPU NB VID Control to 1.2v.

I would test the stability in Prime95 without doing that last step first though, because they error out in similar ways and you don't want to do too much at one time.

Back