• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 965 Newbie Oc help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I keep on getting a bad pool BSOD

What is the best recommended setting for the 965 with 8 gigs of 1600mhz?

I get BSOD once in awhile, don't know if its drivers problems or hardware problems.

I would try the ram at 1333 mhz for a time and see if your problems don't disappear.

Seems you have used some quality hardware in your build, and I see no reason why we shouldn't try to get your rig stable with the memory at 1600. After all, this isn't underclockers.com :D

Lots of time has elapsed since your original overclock. Can you fill us in on the current config and where you are at with voltages and speeds as of now. Additional questions / comments below.

I would recommend posting another screenshot of your CPUz SPD tab, so we can take a look at recommended 1600mhz voltages and timings. In addition, post up another CPU z screenshot showing the CPU configuration, and let us know your max cpu temps under 100% load.

Can you also turn of any green or powersaving settings in the bios? Such as coolnquiet, C1E, Halt state, etc.

Some things too keep in mind:
Your CPU v-core may play a crucial role in reliability. You are at 1.4v right now? Just remember, change one setting at a time, so you can start eliminating problem areas.
CPU-NB (Listed in your bios as CPU NB VID control) voltage can help bolster your overclock stability, and improve random hangs and BSODs. Are you currently at 1.2v? may want to go a little higher.
We will try to do more overclocking with your NB later, if we can eliminate the BSODs and bios hang ups.

Well its possible your ram voltage may be a little on the low side 1.480v seems more for a 1333 JEDEC profile, not XMP 1600. Can you boot into windows and take a few screenshots from CPUz? Would be good to see the CPU, memory and SPD tabs, if possible. You can attach snips to your post by clicking the paper clip located in the replay window, and hit "browse" to select/upload your images. Or just upload them to a photo sharing site and use the image button to link them.

Can you also provide the model # of the ram modules?
Once we have the proper timings and voltage for 1600MHz, we need to confirm and/or adjust your timings in the BIOS. Can you expand DRAM configuration and screenshot that page for us?

We still need the "SPD" tab if you can post it up. That will give us correct voltage to run at 1600Mhz speed.

I can tell you right now your timings are out of whack. They are too high, you are loosing performance right there, not to mention if the voltage is too low, could be the source of BSODs.

First, get us the SPD tab so we can confirm voltage.
Then, we will go into the BIOS and input the correct DRAM voltage
after a quick reboot, select DDR3 timing Items and change from AUTO to SPD. That will force the ram to run 9-9-9-24, you will notice better response times and decreased latency.

Also, judging from your idle speed, you still have C1E or other cool and quiet options / powersave options enabled. Go ahead and scan through the bios and disable all of those please. Its highly recommended to avoid those functions when overclocking.

What shows in the SPD tab JEDEC columns for recommended timings may be slanted toward Intel processors and may not be quite right for AMD CPUs. Just keep that in mind.

What shows in the SPD tab JEDEC columns for recommended timings may be slanted toward Intel processors and may not be quite right for AMD CPUs. Just keep that in mind.

Come on trents, you seem to be lacking your overclocking spirit tonight!
We are going to focus on the XMP-1600 column, not the JEDECs. And we can always go manual on the timings in the rare event of an Intel-AMD-XMP-Timing-Mismatch.

I was lumping the XMP column together with the JEDEC columns in my thought process. And a mismatch may not be a rare event.

And I still question whether the OP has a CPU that's going to want to play in a stable fashion with a 1600 mhz ram frequency, a least with latencies that will not defeat the purpose of going there. He's tried it at 1600 mhz for a long time now and still has random instability. It just seems to me a good diagnostic step would be to run it with the ram at 1333 mhz for a while and see if the instability goes bye bye. At least then he would know whether or not it was ram frequency or ram timing problem (or a combo of both).

Last edited:
"trents" since we are into thread necromancy, do you remember this short thread? http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700532. The actual XMP progamming can and very often does make adjustments to the bios that are not visible on the surface and on some boards those settings are not even available to the user for adjustment but the bios itself can be setup to run in XMP mode by the SPD of the ram. So the truth actually is that just the few settings visible in the SPD tab of CPUz is not the full deal.

Most ram when speccd for AMD boards is really done so at 2T not 1T as it is for the same ram on an Intel motherboard. However most motheboard bioses set 1T for fast AMD ram and often just the change from 1T to 2T is enough to change the way DDR1600 works on AMD boards. In fact it is one of the first things I verify by actual testing when changing ram speeds.

So the reality of stable versus not stable just from a change in ram speed is a truth. Give me stable as you suggest over non-stable as the OP seems to run into when he tries for DDR1600 on an older IMC. There is often a possiblity to overclock ram and there is the possiblity to run DDR1600 where it was not working previously by making adjustments to bios but the XMP profile when in actual use may well be setting up the bios in a manner the user cannot even do manually. So I watch the XMP as displayed in CPUz as it is not extensive enough to tell the entire story. Sorry "trents" I just was jogging them air old brain cells for you. I have to do mine at least 3 times a week these days.
RGone...ster.

I was lumping the XMP column together with the JEDEC columns in my thought process. And a mismatch may not be a rare event.

And I still question whether the OP has a CPU that's going to want to play in a stable fashion with a 1600 mhz ram frequency, a least with latencies that will not defeat the purpose of going there. He's tried it at 1600 mhz for a long time now and still has random instability. It just seems to me a good diagnostic step would be to run it with the ram at 1333 mhz for a while and see if the instability goes bye bye. At least then he would know whether or not it was ram frequency or ram timing problem (or a combo of both).

Still on that kick? You already addressed this issue multiple times in this thread and haven't even let us finish troubleshooting real problems with his OC and you are already repeating yourself... His voltage is clearly on the low side for typical 1600MHz ram. I think at the very least, it is prudent to be running the correct voltage, don't you? He also still has some green options turned on, which could be further irritating reliability of his overclock.

So there are clearly other issues going on that could be the cause of those BSODs and just saying "drop to 1333" underscores the forums ability to actually go ahead and troubleshoot the issue as I'm sure you know full well there are plenty of Denabs out there that run 1600mhz just fine, you know how the saying goes, a few bad apples...

Also, judging from your idle speed, you still have C1E or other cool and quiet options / powersave options enabled. Go ahead and scan through the bios and disable all of those please. Its highly recommended to avoid those functions when overclocking.

Yup. It actually looks like windows power saving. Go into your control panel, go to power options, set the profile to high performance.

Every rig is different, but I'd agree that your Vdimm seems low, as does the CPU NB VID, and you may not need as much Vcore as you are using.

Lots of stuff going on; and typically changing a bazillion things at once is a bad idea. But if you want that memory running at 1600, there's a chance that upping your Vdimm to 1.55v, your CPU NB VID to 1.20v (stock is probably 1.10v), and your CP NB freq to x13 will work. Might also bump up the HT link to x11. If you have good cooling, leave the Vcore where it is for now.

"trents" since we are into thread necromancy, do you remember this short thread? http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700532. The actual XMP progamming can and very often does make adjustments to the bios that are not visible on the surface and on some boards those settings are not even available to the user for adjustment but the bios itself can be setup to run in XMP mode by the SPD of the ram. So the truth actually is that just the few settings visible in the SPD tab of CPUz is not the full deal.

Not quite sure what you are rambling on about here. I guess when someone else recommends troubleshooting a system and the use CPUz and its functions you feel the need to be critical of that? ...That's why they include the most critical timings on the side of the memory chip, much of like what shows in CPUz SPD tab. This stuff is pretty cut and dry. We are taking the steps to get his rig stable at 1600. I don't need to defend myself for helping out another forum member.

Most ram when speccd for AMD boards is really done so at 2T not 1T as it is for the same ram on an Intel motherboard. However most motheboard bioses set 1T for fast AMD ram and often just the change from 1T to 2T is enough to change the way DDR1600 works on AMD boards.

:rofl: like I said, this isn't underclockers.com

So the reality of stable versus not stable just from a change in ram speed is a truth. Give me stable as you suggest over non-stable as the OP seems to run into when he tries for DDR1600 on an older IMC. There is often a possiblity to overclock ram and there is the possiblity to run DDR1600 where it was not working previously by making adjustments to bios but the XMP profile when in actual use may well be setting up the bios in a manner the user cannot even do manually. So I watch the XMP as displayed in CPUz as it is not extensive enough to tell the entire story. Sorry "trents" I just was jogging them air old brain cells for you. I have to do mine at least 3 times a week these days.
RGone...ster.
Yeah, this is the general wet blanket that many denabs have been getting and you are both mistaken, because we have already found issues with his overclock unrelated to the highly mythical IMC problems.
The real truth is he doesn't want a wetblanket response. He wants his ram to run stable at 1600 and considering his ram voltage is way off we are starting there god forbid we have to go ahead and make some manual adjustments to the RAM timings, right? I mean, its just the end of the world when you have to go that far.
:facepalm:

I am glad you are here to set us all straight storm-chaser.

And I agree with FlailBoy that it is not good to change a lot of stuff at the same time when you are encountering instability or, for that matter, in any overclocking undertaking. That is why I am suggesting putting the ram back at 1333 mhz to eliminate ram frequency being too high as a possible cause of instability. That I know of, OP hasn't established stability with basic settings like that. First establish the max stable overclock of the cores first with as many other variables at stock levels. Adjust the core speed with multiplier and/or FSB and add only core voltage while keeping RAM, HT Link and CPU/NB frequencies at stock. Trying to squeeze more out of the ram on an IMC that is rated for 1333 mhz ought to be one of the last things to tackle. Overclocking needs to be done systematically and incrementally.

Last edited:
. . . The real truth is he doesn't want a wetblanket response. He wants his ram to run stable at 1600 and considering his ram voltage is way off we are starting there god forbid we have to go ahead and make some manual adjustments to the RAM timings, right? I mean, its just the end of the world when you have to go that far.
:facepalm:

What we want doesn't always square up with reality. If I'm wrong about that, shoot, OP might as well try for 2100 mhz on the ram.

And I agree with FlailBoy that it is not good to change a lot of stuff at the same time when you are encountering instability. That is why I am suggesting putting the ram back at 1333 mhz to eliminate ram frequency being too high as a possible cause of instability. That I know of, OP hasn't established stability with basic settings like that.

Right, I agreed with FlailBoy in that regard (and he also agrees with me in the regard that his memory voltage is low). That's why I said we will want to change one thing at a time in my first response. :thup:

Now, I hope you can see why the OP would prefer actual troubleshooting over a wet blanket response. Why: we've discovered an undervolt problem that is likely to blame and are taking the steps to correct that. Please, you've said your peace, the OP chose against it, now let the troubleshooting go on. I'm sure the OP has been aware of both sides of the coin since he started this post a while back.

Back