• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 965 Newbie Oc help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks! but before I overclock anything further, I have a problem.
I noticed sometimes when I go into bios, it freezes. What is causing this?

That is correct. Only sometimes.
Then I would have to hard reset or shutdown. Sometimes it freezes during post screen = /

I just did and noticed still freezes sometimes in bios. Do you think its because I spam the delete button too much for trying to enter bios? LOL

Set DRAM Voltage in BIOS to 1.65v, set memory speed to 1600 MHz, you should not have to adjust timings, the board should set them automatically.

I did the prime test and got blue screen of death, I don't know if its the oc with the cpu or rams that caused the BSOD.

Bios screen freezing sounds like not enough vcore, same as the bsod running prime.
Perhaps your 4ghz oc isn't stable...Beebeep2 will probably guide you just fine, him being a uber-AMD guru (look at those scores :p)

Hey, i was wondering if you can help me out with the Vcore? how much i need to push it to?
thanks.

Leave rams at stock first, then try 1.4v for vcore...That should be fine for up to 4ghz.

I think he's going to need to higher than 1.4 vcore to get a 965 to 4.0 ghz unless he's got good H20 cooling or an unusual chip.

I managed to OC to 4ghz. Using Zalman cpu heatsink fan.

Where do I go to overclock the rams? I have 4 gigs of 1333 rams.
Is it the DRAM configuration? Thanks.

Zalman makes lots of different coolers. Do you know the model number. Good cooling and keeping temps down is critical to successful overclocking and to preventing damage to equipment. Have you done any temp monitoring under load like watching HWMonitor while running a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. If not, you really need to do so. Don't put the cart before the horse, Joe.

I think most people find it takes closer to 1.5 vcore to get 4 ghz or above on the low end C3 stepping Denebs with good air cooling. Took me 1.475 with a Coolermaster Hyper N520.

The better chips can need as little as ~1.3-1.35v for 4 GHz, my 965 needing 1.344v, then there are others that need 1.55v...
Just need to set a voltage and up frequency a little at a time, or set frequency and up voltage until stable...

What is the current OC?

The better chips can need as little as ~1.3-1.35v for 4 GHz, my 965 needing 1.344v, then there are others that need 1.55v...
Just need to set a voltage and up frequency a little at a time, or set frequency and up voltage until stable...

What is the current OC?

Yep, there can be lots of variability in CPUs from the same model line in that sense.

I hve been using the newest p95 and the big hit is out at 27-30 minutes so you might want to extend the stress test time a little.

Back