• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 965 Newbie Oc help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Glad you're back, OP.

Ok, what would you like to do first? What I'd like to see happen first is for you to go into your BIOS and set everything to optimized defaults, and then we'll start over. Really.

Lots of ways to go about this. I think we might be able to get that memory running at 1600, but we (I) need to start from scratch.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I have posted a link for my bios settings in the last page of this forum! please take a look.!

Yes, I am still waiting on the SPD tab from CPUz, can you please post that up for us?

Also, if you could post your memory model / part # that would be helpful, as I need to cross reference a couple things.

Thanks. We will take it one step at a time, as I already mentioned previously.

posting to save you the time if typing this and googling
This appears to be dicksonjoe's memory CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324

it appears the bios down-clocked it to 1333 to keep the voltage at 1.5v as 1.65v is rather hard on a modern intel cpu and voids the warranty (1.65v ram slowly damages the cpu according to intel, so it is down-clocked to prevent that) forgot we are deal with a amd cpu for a moment there when i saw it was downclocked, lol

Here is how to use the in forum attachment tool as well as the spd tab that was posted.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 49
  • insert image.PNG
    insert image.PNG
    68.9 KB · Views: 49
You may want to PM your old buddy "storm-chaser" since he and you are engrossed in high CPU-NB and overclocked ram. Otherwise here is some information you can use to troubleshoot a bad pool header error.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Please, stop whining because he preferred actual troubleshooting as opposed to a wet blanket response. Like I said, I don't have to defend myself for helping another member. Please, get over it.

The fact is this gentleman is running 1600Mhz RAM at 1.480v when it should be running at 1.650v is the real problem here, now that we have the correct ram voltage. This obvious truth, is one you are obviously having a hard time coming to grips with.

rgone, can you please describe for us some symptoms of undervolting ram?
That was a rhetorical question in case you were wondering, we all know that BSODs can be caused by low voltage issues.

Now, dicksnjoe,
Lets get on to the business at hand. I have attached a picture of the ram listed above (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9). What you want to do is go into your BIOS, and where it says "DRAM Voltage Control" please change this from 1.480v to 1.650v, save and reboot. I can personally say I've had that same ram model with a Phenom II and it required the full 1.650 volts to run properly at 1600mhz.
attachment.php

Once you can confirm stability, you can lower the timings to the XMP-1600 tab as listed above. If you have any questions about doing this, please let me know. Thanks.

Yes, I am still waiting on the SPD tab from CPUz, can you please post that up for us?

Also, if you could post your memory model / part # that would be helpful, as I need to cross reference a couple things.

Thanks. We will take it one step at a time, as I already mentioned previously.

The information about his ram has been available since posts #27 and #28. Here we are at post 70+ asking those same questions. Is this going in circles?

Last edited:
The information about his ram has been available since posts #27 and #28. Here we are at post 70+ asking those same questions. Is this going in circles?

I'd rather confirm information before throwing out voltage information, since the computer as built a while ago. :clap:

Besides, that's not the point here. The point is his ram is running at 1.480v and not the prescribed 1.650v.

Obviously, you too are having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that his ram voltage is low.

And we are not going in circles. The OP has been responding intermittently and we are waiting on him right now. We are most definitely making progress now that we can see his ram voltage is low and that's likely the source of his BSOD issues.

storm-chaser said:
That was a rhetorical question in case you were wondering, we all know that BSODs can be caused by low voltage issues.

Surely they can and bad pool header errors can be caused by more than ram. That is why I suggested he zip that 64K minidump file and upload it as well as contact you since he and you had been tweaking.
RGone...

Surely they can and bad pool header errors can be caused by more than ram. That is why I suggested he zip that 64K minidump file and upload it as well as contact you since he and you had been tweaking.
RGone...

Look, I think we should start with what is a clear voltage issue on his RAM, address that first and If he has any other problems we can go from there.

That' was my original point back when I first examined his system and that was my intent. :thup:

I'm sorry about the static, dicksnjoe, here is what you need to do and hopefully it will resolve the bsod issues:

Lets get on to the business at hand. I have reviewed the ram information and clearly your voltage is low for running 1600 Mhz Corsair (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9). What you want to do is go into your BIOS, and where it says "DRAM Voltage Control" please change this from 1.480v to 1.650v, save and reboot. I can personally say I've had that same ram model with a Phenom II and it required the full 1.650 volts to run properly at 1600mhz.

Please let me know how that goes.

I'd rather confirm information before throwing out voltage information, since the computer as built a while ago. :clap:

Besides, that's not the point here. The point is his ram is running at 1.480v and not the prescribed 1.650v.

Obviously, you too are having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that his ram voltage is low.

And we are not going in circles. The OP has been responding intermittently and we are waiting on him right now. We are most definitely making progress now that we can see his ram voltage is low and that's likely the source of his BSOD issues.

Not so. My contention all along has been that since Denebs often struggle to run ram at 1600 mhz it would be smarter to first establish stability with the ram at 1333 and then try for 1600 mhz. As it is, no one is really sure whether something about the ram is causing the instability or if it's something else. Why not eliminate as many variables as possible? That just seems logical to me. I know, I've already said this and it was discounted so I guess I'm just wasting my breath. Too many cooks in this kitchen with different recipes. Storm-chaser, you seem to want to take the lead in this one so have at it and this old "wet blanket" will just get out of the way.

Last edited:
Not so. My contention all along has been that since Denebs often struggle to run ram at 1600 mhz it would be smarter to first establish stability with the ram at 1333 and then try for 1600 mhz. As it is, no one is really sure whether something about the ram is causing the instability or if it's something else. Why not eliminate as many variables as possible? That just seems logical to me. I know, I've already said this and it was discounted so I guess I'm just wasting my breath. Too many cooks in this kitchen with different recipes.

At the top of this page, you agreed to leave this alone. I'd appreciate you standing by your word.

thanks.

@ OP:

What we have going on here is a few members who would like you to try a few different things to get you where you want to go. It is often the case that there can be more than one way of getting there.

I am not picking one way over another (including mine). As it happens, I am one of the people who is running a Deneb with 1600 RAM humming along nicely at 1600. I also needed a bit more voltage to my RAM.

If indeed you are running the Corsair RAM from the link above, *please* up your RAM voltage to 1.65v. Will that work? Maybe.

Back