• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 965BE HSF with Vengeance DDR3 1600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyberNerdz

Registered
I have been looking for HSF for my system before I start OC'ng it. The problem I'm having is the air fins are either so far out that its covering 2 of my memory slots (DDR3_4 & DDR3_2 slot). I'm using 2X4GB DDR3 Vengeance in dual channel and this memory has a tall heatsink fin that keeps hitting the CPU's HSF. Fior now I can only use the stock AMD HSF that the CPU came with.

Can anyone please recommend a decent HSF for my CPU on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 that will not hit my Vengeance memory heat sink fins.

Thanks!

You could always go with a self-contained all in one water kit like the Corsair H80. That would eliminate the problem you describe. For future reference, don't buy ram with exaggerated heat sinks. It really limits your cooling options.

I have a CM Hyper 212+ on a I5 2500k with Vengeance Ram. If you aren't going extreme you can just put the fan in pull configuration, I have also used push pull with the fan above the RAM pulled up about 1/4 of an inch.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not used a water cooling system before due to some horrors stories I have read but that was years ago. I'm sure they're a lot better now and would just need to research on which best fits my raven case.

I'm glad I went with regular size g skills, they fit under my silver arrow (but the fan does move up/down), and they get cooled by the huge amount of air its 2x140mm fans move, same with the VRM heatsink underneath and behind

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not used a water cooling system before due to some horrors stories I have read but that was years ago. I'm sure they're a lot better now and would just need to research on which best fits my raven case.

Your only option for a self-contained all-in-one water kit would seem to be one with a single 120mm radiator and fan to go in the top of your case where you have a 120mm exhaust fan mount.

It might be cheaper and easier to see your current ram on ebay and get some different ram with low profile heat sinks. Testing has not demonstrated that those tall heat sinks do much good anyway. I think it just catches the eyes of more buyers, that's all.

Last edited:
Some ram runs hot, some does not. The goal is to spread heat, not necessarily dissipate it all at once. More mass means more time to heat to equilibrium and more stable temperatures. (Less temp swing)

Many 120mm air coolers run fine with high heatsink memory as long as they are in pull configuration, especially if you have the ram in slots 2 and 4, from the left side.

Again thank you for all your helpful contributions. I have searched YouTube for people that has the same Raven RV01 case using a water cooling system. I like keeping my system neat and organized with huge consideration to good airflow. The ones I have see on YouTube seems a bit messy:

I like Corsair's H80 or even the H100 series. I just need to decide if I will go with the top exhaust fan (H80) or side exhaust (H100). I might need to hold back on this for another month or so since I just replaced my mobo when my old one blew up on me a few days ago. I tried to keep my cost down to <$250 on this upgrade (Mobo, memory, CPU) and quite satisfied with its performance on stock. Of course I came from am AMD 64 X2 6000+ CPU with DDR2 800Mhz so any upgrades I would do should be noticeable. I always put more $ on my video cards since I do more gaming than anything else. Maybe by xmas I'll have my dream machine :)

Does your case have places in the side panel for two 120mm fans? The H100 would require that.

I do. The Raven RV01 actually has the capability for the size of the H100, 2 x 120 fans, BUT I do not think the the Corsairs H100 tubing will be long enough to run it to the rear of the case. Here is a sample water cooling system mounted to my Raven case:

DSCF1483-1.jpg

If I follow Raven's recommendation on mounting it where they have designed the ase to have water cooling, the H100 tubes will not be long enough. So I guess the H80 would be sufficient.

Yah it is unusual but I like it :) A few things I like about it is the airflow design and rear panel of the mobo is accessible from the top of the case.

5491.jpg

Back