• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-8150 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shaunnyb

Registered
hey all so I finished my new AMD / corsair build... and it works great here are the specs.

Amd fx-8150 (OC’d 4.2ghz)
Asrock fatality mboard
16gb ddr3 ram (at 1600)
SSD x2 (one for windows, one for games)
Asus HD7970
H100 water cooler
850w Gold corsair psu
corsair 650d obsidian case
3x 24" asus proart monitors.

Speads are great! FPS great! just waiting on AMD to lift their game on drivers for BF3 and Lotro!

and here is a little picky of my pc :)
431124_10150592597987038_603457037_9529500_1099454633_n.jpg

by the way, windows indexes the PC at 7.5, because it bottlenecks at 7.5 for the ssd, processor and ram are at 7.7, and everything else is 7.9

by the way, windows indexes the PC at 7.5, because it bottlenecks at 7.5 for the ssd, processor and ram are at 7.7, and everything else is 7.9

+10 points for having a really great hardware set up.
-3 points for using the Windows Performance Index to measure it. ;)

(I know, I actually do the same. Even though I know it's a terrible way to assess how cool my computer is, I still find myself looking at that 6.3 and thinking: 'if I just bought...' :D)

Actually, what SSD do you have for your primary on the system? 7.5 is actually very high. To get above that for the disk, I think you'd have to have something really high end. My SSD only comes in at 6.3.

(And just to show you how reliable Windows Performance Index is, the same drive comes in at 5.9 if my processor is running at its stock speeds)

H.

What's your ram rated for? BD will usually run stable with the ram at 1866 if the ram is capable of it.

Actually, what SSD do you have for your primary on the system? 7.5 is actually very high. To get above that for the disk, I think you'd have to have something really high end. My SSD only comes in at 6.3.

(And just to show you how reliable Windows Performance Index is, the same drive comes in at 5.9 if my processor is running at its stock speeds)

H.

I try not to put to much into the WEI but my Sandisk extreme 120GB scores a 7.8

Attachments

• WIE4-5-12.JPG
    WIE4-5-12.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 258
I found it weird that in my case the higher I clock my CPU the better score I got with the SSD. I went from a 7.3 at stock, to 7.5 @ 4GHz, and the 7.6 at 4.2GHz..... I don't really understand why this would make a difference..... I do realise that the higher clocked the closer my RAM got to its rated 2133MHz however I don't understand why my SSD performance went up.

Why wouldn't your SSD bench go up in speed, even for a drive, if the cpu speed is increased? The drivers handling the disk drives is running at increased speed for one thing and since the SSD has no platters holding it back, when the cpu speed is increased it can get its' results to the test application quicker and thus show a better result when benched.

Plain plattered drives don't show much increase when benched with cpu speed increase but even older RAID arrays with plattered drives would show a disk bench increase no matter how small when cpu speed was upped since most used the onboard raid where it really was software raid and of course cpu speed did matter.

Not sure, I still don't quite understand why it runs faster but I do accept that it does.

Why wouldn't your SSD bench go up in speed, even for a drive, if the cpu speed is increased? The drivers handling the disk drives is running at increased speed for one thing and since the SSD has no platters holding it back, when the cpu speed is increased it can get its' results to the test application quicker and thus show a better result when benched.

Plain plattered drives don't show much increase when benched with cpu speed increase but even older RAID arrays with plattered drives would show a disk bench increase no matter how small when cpu speed was upped since most used the onboard raid where it really was software raid and of course cpu speed did matter.

I think the surprise is due not to the notion that if the CPU is faster, the SSD can let rip a little bit more. I think the surprise is due to thinking the WEI gives reliable information about the separate components. I.e. people look at that chart and they think: "This value here, this rates my SSD", which is, after all, the intent of the WEI. They don't think "This represents my SSD when it's tied to this particular processor".

So when it changes because of some "unrelated" other thing changing, people are surprised.

i just check my proccessor score and it is 7.8 at 4.1ghz how come urs is only 7.4 LoganG?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it is because you have the Fx-8150 and I have the fx-6100. Also mine is running at 4Ghz currently and as yours is clocked a little higher.

Lol, makes good sense. FX6100 is a 3 module chip whereas the FX8150 is a 4 module chip

oh shiet!! lol i didnt realise i thought u had the fx-8120 sorry mate

Not sure, I still don't quite understand why it runs faster but I do accept that it does.

All integrated controllers are using cpu power to perform all operations so faster cpu = faster drive speed. You will see difference mainly in random operations that are most important for daily usage.

Hmmmm, interesting.... That does indeed make sense when you but it that way. I'm glad I overclock then, even though its about 500MHz from where it could be I'm happy with it as is ;)

Very nice..

I too have an 8150 but I use it for programming.
I am just learning to program using OpenMP and C

I love the 8150.. I was ripping a DVD, downloading, watching a movie and compiling the Kernal and it never slowed down. I've done that.

I am stock at this point.

Windowsscore.jpg

Stock for my 8150 build...

Asus M5A78L USB3 Mainboard
16GB AMD 1333 Performance memory
Asus ATI 6850 UC 1gb graphics card
1 X Liteon 256GB SSD
3 X Western Digital 256GB HD 2 X raid 0 1 X normal
1 X Western Digital 500GB HD

Not bad for £592 worth of gear that I brought... :thup:

Back