• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 9000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
AMD FX 9000? The rumours are true! 06/11

Found this floating around.

Sweclockers has reported that AMD is readying two new “Vishera” processors, the FX-8770 and FX-9000 which, like their predecessors, feature an AM3+ socket, 32 nm lithography and are based on the Piledriver x86 architecture.

What sets these two CPUs apart is the astounding TDP of 220 W and the FX-9000’s clock rate of 4.8 GHz / 5.0 GHz (base / turbo). This will necessitate some “interesting” cooling solutions and seems set to grant the FX-9000 the distinction of being the highest clocked stock processor.

AMD has yet to provide any official comment on the report, but we expect further details to be available at Computex 2013, which takes place from June 4 to June 8, 2013.

:shock: 220W TDP
Most boards won't handle this.

Last edited:
I thought that with our big, juice sucking 8 cores we were drawing that, or more anyway

YA I figured my TDP was up there at times.Little piggy has it's head in the trough and doesn't stop for air. Ha ha
Almost looks like they're picking the prime silicon and just pumping the volts to it. Makes me think these chips haven't seen their max yet!

so centurion is comming............. i wanna see what cooler they supply it with. ....... :D+ i wanna put it in my ud3 to see if the magic smoke leaves the mosfets

The motherboards to run those are going to be expensive. Especially current boards might cut it, but they won't be able to push much beyond the 200w TDP so no overclocking.

if it's rebinned cpus why would we have any issues running them, one of my 24/7 clocks is 5.0 anyway. this will be the same processor that we have been clocking to 5.3-5.5?

if it's rebinned cpus why would we have any issues running them, one of my 24/7 clocks is 5.0 anyway. this will be the same processor that we have been clocking to 5.3-5.5?

1. I expect you are hitting the nail squarely on the head there C_D.

2. I wrote about TDP and how AMD figured it in a post a month or so ago. TDP is not the only spec that AMD has thrown around. If you look back some years ago you will see how AMD tried to respond when questioned about their white papers for power consumption. Sounded like a freeken politician was being interviewed to me.
http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Clarifies+ACP+TDP+Enigma/article9981.htm

3.TDP is not the maximum that the cpu can consume in watts. Not even close if you read how the TDP is figured. No not hardly the max current that the cpu can consume even in a stock condition much less when overclocked. The TDP is low not on the high side for sure in relation to actual watts pulled thru the VRM circuit.

4. I have seen reputable sources say the Asus CHV can supply up to 300 watts to a cpu. Maybe even a little more. In fact I think a little more. Will have to RE-check that number. But that should handle the newer 220TDP cpus.

5. Just as an aside let me quickly describe TDP. It is a calculated amount of heat to be put off by the cpu and removed when loaded to a certain level and that level is not a 100% load. That is why the users with cheap boards and 125W TDP cpus have run into issues with the FX processors.

TDP is not the max current draw of the cpu. It is only relative. AND then most of us that overclock go in and make an 8core FX processor run in full on 8 core mode all the time and people wonder why their boards cannot tote the mail. Not enough real beans in the VRM circuit of most boards. Especially the entry level boards.

NOT a SINGLE FX processor is designed to run with all cores on and in WFO mode for any length of time and yet we adjust the FX processor to run just that way and call it merely overclocking. It is far away from just a plain overspeeding of the cpu, it is hammering the cpu and circuits with ALL cores on all the time. NO freeken wonder the entry level boards cannot push the high overclocks with ALL the cores on and completely out of the design parameters of the FX processor.

6. After looking at big-business and AMD lately, they are having to release something since Intel has just released the Haswell, I believe it is. They have to try and keep up even if they say the upper end of the desktop market is conceded to Intel. I said late last year that AMD now could bin the PEE out of their processors and imagine that is what we see in this newly hyped cpu release. Steamroller is likely just as far off as we expect it to be and will be next year. However AMD has to have press to compete to the extent they intend to compete with Intel. These greater clocked Vishera's are one way to get that press. Even if we see very few and high dollars just like the Centurion was said to be and has not appeared but the lesser cpus now touted appear to be going to appear actually. BS.

I believe that if AMD had a Steamroller close to ready they would be leaking it to counteract the release after release of desktop cpus by Intel. However AMD may have learned their lesson by a years worth of leaking before the release of the underperforming Bulldozer series and drying up the awesome 1090T and 1100T thubans.

Shett RGone, quit your rambling. I have no doubt my first edition CHV can handle 220W TDP. What else can do so, is a complete mystery to me. However I doubt that CM 212 EVO cooling need even knock on the door of 220W TDP.
RGone...

Is AMD going to charge 400-500$ for these processors and give away CL water cooler's as "stock heatsync" OR WHAT??

RGone's post needs to be stickied. That explained TDP better than anything else I've read.

+1 atminside, his head is jusy chalk full of good info, one day that thing is gonna pop!!!!!
you should see his work in the motherboard section in " is it a contender".

the 8350 is sold with an all in one cooler, at 5.0 the one that they offer will be a little on the weak side, all the 8 cores just make so much heat that it will take good binning and a swiftech 220 cooler to make that.

Yes, it sounds good to hear the rumors had some truth to them. As rgone mentioned, AMD has been in a habit of leaking this stuff.

I imagine this CPU will be a powerhouse. I wonder if they are simply binned processors like the 4350 and the 6350 or if this will be a new revision.

Either way, I am almost pushing 220w with a hyper 212, at least if HWMonitor is reporting correctly. Then again the thubans don't get nearly as hot as the FX chips, nor do they inflict nearly the punishment on the vrms.

C3DA162B-80B2-4BA7-B277-A548571A77E3-18757-0000031F6090BF29_zps89365d0e.jpg

I'm all set for stock clocks 220W :rofl:

the vcore needed to run those clocks would be pretty extreme, even on binned cpu's, and if AMD releases a new cpu with a stock vcore of ~1.5v+ I think it would scare a lot of people away from them, I'm interested to see what the stock vcore is.

That air-cooler has been rated in the top 3 or 4 for a while. But it will take air in and out of the case for sure.
RGone...

C3DA162B-80B2-4BA7-B277-A548571A77E3-18757-0000031F6090BF29_zps89365d0e.jpg

I'm all set for stock clocks 220W :rofl:

the vcore needed to run those clocks would be pretty extreme, even on binned cpu's, and if AMD releases a new cpu with a stock vcore of ~1.5v+ I think it would scare a lot of people away from them, I'm interested to see what the stock vcore is.

I only use if out of a case for air benching and TBH it works pretty well but only up to a point and then it gets hot pretty fast which is understandable, but I have no problems in saying it would not cope with a fx8xxx on full oc mode I think water is the only way to go for them if you want to keep temps at a reasonable level for an extended period, so I wonder what sort of numbers the "new" fx will push out in terms of heat ?

I only use if out of a case for air benching and TBH it works pretty well but only up to a point and then it gets hot pretty fast which is understandable, but I have no problems in saying it would not cope with a fx8xxx on full oc mode I think water is the only way to go for them if you want to keep temps at a reasonable level for an extended period, so I wonder what sort of numbers the "new" fx will push out in terms of heat ?
i`m thinking supernova level of heat

I don't know what my 8350 is pulling at 5.0 and above but it makes the heatkiiler motherboard blocks look like a cheap investment with the heat given off to the room.

I don't know what my 8350 is pulling at 5.0 and above but it makes the heatkiiler motherboard blocks look like a cheap investment with the heat given off to the room.
I have seen readings on my Watt meter of 500+ drawing from the wall on my combo. Take into account I have 10 120's and 3 92mm fans and a pump in my case, add to that an overclocked 5850 at 1000/1145. I have to believe the 8350 is drawing at least 200w when Oced.

I have seen readings on my Watt meter of 500+ drawing from the wall on my combo. Take into account I have 10 120's and 3 92mm fans and a pump in my case, add to that an overclocked 5850 at 1000/1145. I have to believe the 8350 is drawing at least 200w when Oced.

Its like a mini nuclear reactor. How is the sound level? I would think with that many fans, it would be a nuisance.

Then again, you must keep all that hardware cool, and that's what matters. I eventually had to soundproof my nzxt case because it was getting loud with only 3 120mm fans. Added a few degrees to my mb temps, but I can still keep my 4.0 overclock alive.

it will be better binned processors, so there will be a little less heat per clock.
it seems to me that the hotter per clock processors clock higher for some reason.
my 4170 is the hottest quad core I have seen posted anywhere and the highest clocks I have seen also on water.

Back