• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 9000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just about any of us that actually know about pushing the FX 8 core cpus know that any of the 8 cores run really h0t. We also know that when we overclock, we do so with all cores ON. IF not so doing, then where would we get any performance. That means to run the newer 9xxx 8 core cpu the temps are going to be very high right out of the box. I noticed moving from FX-8120 to FX-8150 and the big increase in default cpu speed that the temps went up just at idle because of the difference in default speeds of the two cpus.

So when you have a new FX-9xxx that has a very high derfault speed, it is going to be h0t right out of the box. Treat it as we do and force it to run all 8 cores enabled from the get go and it will be one h0t mother. Period. No doubt.

But we have written pages of information in this forum section about motherboard selection. Cheap won't get it with overclocked FX. Mini-loops limit overclock with FX. YET they still flood into the forums with entry level motherboards and minimal cooling and want the hyped cpu speeds. No clue for many. AMD will sell some of these cpus. Maybe more than they want as the sales proliferate outward. Because there is a sucker born every minute.
RGone...

Last edited:
You can buy it oem style in UK but its still 700 sheets on its own :eek: keep trying AMD :facepalm:

Check out the vcore rating :eek:

Copied from site

- Multiplier Unlocked
- Eight Core Technology
- 4.70GHz Clock Speed
- 5.00GHz Turbo Clock Speed
- 5.2 GT/s System Bus
- AM3+ Socket
- 8MB L2 Cache
- 8MB L3 Cache
- 64-Bit Technology
- TDP: 220W
- Voltage: 1.4125v - 1.6500v
- 32nm technology
- Support upto 2400MHz DDR3
- HyperTransport 3.0 Technology

Conclusion

Typically, by the time writing the conclusion comes around, I know exactly how to sum things up. Not this time. The FX-9590 is an impressive tour de force from AMD but one which ultimately caused an epic battle between my enthusiast mindset and the side of me that appreciates efficiency. In the end, the little red speed demon won out over the halo-totting tree hugger. What AMD has created may not be the best processor around and it isn’t unassailable in every situation but it is pure, unadulterated fun for anyone who appreciates technological achievements.

The FX-9590 is a CPU that says “why the hell not?” to those who question its existence and keeps with an FX-series tradition first charted years ago. It brings us back to the glory days of AMD’s FX lineup when the FX-60 and its ilk were the fastest things around. Back then, power consumption was routinely pushed aside in an effort to cater to enthusiasts’ need for leading edge performance and significant overclocking headroom. While this latest iteration doesn’t quite beat Intel’s high end offerings in every benchmark, it sure makes things interesting. On the other hand, seeing AMD go back to their enthusiast roots is nothing short of priceless.

What AMD did here was push their current architecture to its absolute limit and that deserves some credit. However this quest for the highest possible out-of-box frequencies brings forth a number of issues as well. Power consumption was nothing short of stratospheric and the amount of heat produced by the chip will leave all but the best heatsinks begging for mercy.

The extreme levels of thermal output put a damper on overclocking unless you opt for exotic cooling methods like a TEC cold plate, dry ice or LN2. We achieved a constant speed of 5GHz (with Turbo disabled) in multi-threaded applications which represents a 300MHz increase over reference frequencies. For air cooling this isn't all that bad. But then again, the FX-9590 is all about out-of-box performance since there are plenty of other FX options which overclockers can tweak to their heart’s content.

Is a 4.7 / 5GHz AMD processor ultimately enough to compete against Intel’s high-end offerings? The answer to that is multi-faceted. In properly optimized applications, the FX-9590 is a dominating presence which often runs just neck and neck with Intel’s comparatively priced Sandy Bridge-E processors. However, due to the disappointing single thread performance of the Piledriver architecture, in-game framerates in some titles tend to lag behind. There’s also just no looking past Intel’s ability to achieve similar or better performance without pushing their architecture to its absolute limit.

While actual retail pricing is a bit of an unknown at this point, if a $750 to $850 bracket remains in place AMD may have a hard time moving the few FX-9590’s they produce. You can buy a 4770K along with a fairly high end motherboard for the price of a single 5GHz processor and still achieve better gaming performance than AMD can offer.

The FX-9590 certainly isn’t for everyone, nor is it a practical solution for current AM3+ users since quite a few FX-8350 processors can reach this level of performance with some judicious overclocking. Rather, this is an achievement catering directly to the AMD enthusiasts who will appreciate the FX-9590 for what it is: a successful attempt by AMD to throw caution into the wind by building the fastest processor they possibly can.

For daring to be different and injecting some much-needed excitement into a stagnant CPU market, AMD may not have broken any performance barriers but they have certainly earned my respect.

Taken From: here

My take on it:
If i had the spare cash i'd buy one and a CHV + a nice water chiller. Would i max out my credit card to get them? Hell no.
It reminds me of the original BMW M5. The engineeres said "why not?" that became an iconic car.
So will this CPU. Just because of the "Why not?" attitude.

Last edited:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...66-amd-fx-9590-review-piledriver-5ghz-18.html

the i7 3960x beats it, and that review doesn't specify if they overclocked the 3960x, but they stated they could only get the FX 9590 to 5.2 GHz, so the gap would only get larger, im sure a 3930k would beat it too.

Lmfao, this is AMD fanboy fodder

They really should stop it and work on trying to make a GTX Titan equivalent...

Wonder what would happen if Intel was pushed to such a desperate position... super unlocked i7 with a 5 GHz proc with 8 cores and 16 threads... lol

Now why did you burst out the "fanboy" word? Why would one buy an AMD chip? For fun. I find a 220W cpu funny. A big middle finger to efficiency. Just like me at work.... i do my job, it may take 10-20-30 Minutes more but i do it. :D

Because that's what the processor is, just like the nVidia Titan is nVidia fanboy fodder, it's just silly...

And all of these review sites comparing processors without overclocking the competition is really starting to grind on my gears, it's like comparing apples and oranges...

comparisons where stock v stock. :thup:
he/they later tryed to oc.
Please stop with the "fanboy" word. It's a bad word :cry: it does not matter if AMD/Nvidia/Intel to each his own. :chair:

PS: ....."Unfortunately, that doesn’t happen very often as our processor remained at 4.7GHz in most workloads.".......

Because that's what the processor is, just like the nVidia Titan is nVidia fanboy fodder, it's just silly...

And all of these review sites comparing processors without overclocking the competition is really starting to grind on my gears, it's like comparing apples and oranges...

The link I posted to kitguru's review shows it against a 3960x OC'd to 4.4 and the FX at an even 5. It still loses in the benchmarks but all the game titles they were toe to toe http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/zardon/amd-fx9590-5ghz-review-w-gigabyte-990fxa-ud5/18/

The issue I have with the conclusion that was posted was who it stated the target demographic was. I would guess an 'enthusiast' would be fine with overclocking a chip, therefore buy an 8350 and overclock to these speeds... for a few HUNDRED dollars less. It isn't like you are getting additional cores(modules), just additional speed that can be achieved by overclocking. Now if this chip was closer to $450 [and actually available in the market] it may be able to get a following, but I'm sure the amount of binning AMD has to do to get one of these chips ready to go isn't easy/cheap.

NewEgg has the FX 9590 for $899. If I am going to spend that, I might as well just go back to Intel, especially if Intel's current offerings beat it for nearly the same price.

NewEgg has the FX 9590 for $899. If I am going to spend that, I might as well just go back to Intel, especially if Intel's current offerings beat it for nearly the same price.

The question was can the FX 9590 be bought without having to buy the combo as in NegEgg you also have to choose a motherboard, Power Supply and ram which will set you back a cool $1600.

so, it can be bought in the uk without a motherboard?

I can confirm Canada Computer can get them and there is no bundle that you need to buy. As of now they do not have any in stock thus not listed on their website. Unfortunately, because it is a special order you cannot order them via the online store but have to come in to one of the stores and make your order. The FX 9590 will set you back $899 cdn, just like Newegg.

I'm not sure what AMD is trying to prove with these two chips. Maybe they are stalling in hopes people will forgot about Steamroller?

I can't see anyone in their right mind buying either the 9370 or the 9590 with the possible exception of the very uneducated consumer. Both of these chips are Vishera based so you're not getting anything for your $900 that you can't get for $200 and 5 minutes overclocking with an 8350. I suppose if you have more money than brains and are extremely lazy then you could purchase one of these "pre-overclocked" chips so you don't have to do the overclock yourself.

The problem AMD is going to be faced with is the uneducated consumer who buys the 9590 and then buys a $50 motherboard and $30 air cooler to run with it; hence why AMD was trying to lock these chips into system builders only in hopes that at least the majority of the CPU's sold would be in systems designed and built to handle the power demands that these chips have. Heck, look at the number of people wandering into the forums who have similar issues with the current run of 125W TDP FX chips.

Unfortunately I smell an epic fail with these two chips. Perhaps if they had been priced within the realms of reality then AMD may have been able to save this disaster but as it stands now, I see further credibility losses on AMD's part and a larger market share for Intel.

Maybe AMD should stick to their APU line and GFX cards while they still have some success in those areas?

The question was can the FX 9590 be bought without having to buy the combo as in NegEgg you also have to choose a motherboard, Power Supply and ram which will set you back a cool $1600.

Yeah, but I figure that this is temporary. When it can be bought separately, if the price doesn't drop and drop dramatically, there will be precious little reason to stay with AMD. I currently have an 8150 (top of the line AMD at the time). I based my set up around the 8150 because I could get the processor for less than $200. If I am going to have to spend nearly $1000 on a processor, I might as well go ahead and spend $1000 on a better performing top of the line Intel.

Back