• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 9000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought the upcoming 9xxx series was going to be available to system builders only and not your average Joe?

Having a half educated consumer picking a cooler with the help from some uninterested parts store counter person is a disaster in the making for AMD and they know it hence the restriction to system builders.

I don't see much more than a top-binned 8350 here. Temps are gonna be scary.

You got that right zedodog after my breif chat with one guy at Canada Computers. At least AMD has come out and stated that these chipps are only suported on 2 Motherboards ..... The CHV and Sabertooth 990FX rev2 acording to the same tech

Well the new CPU's are up on Newegg now. $899 is just absurd. I hope they drop that down to at least $500 if they want anyone to be excited about the two new batches.

Well the new CPU's are up on Newegg now. $899 is just absurd. I hope they drop that down to at least $500 if they want anyone to be excited about the two new batches.

Did you notice it can ONLY BE PURCHASED IN COMBO.
they're pairing it with a Corsair H80i and a CHV-Z etc. the minimum you spend is $ 1600

Hahaha...so you CAN buy it away from builders on the Egg, but you've got to spend an arm and a leg and don't get to choose the components you get with it. The MINIMUM PSU that comes in the four combos is 1000W.

:facepalm:

The one thing that comes to my mind is this "Frying Tonight Dear" NO JUST MY VRM SECTION SMOKING!! :p But still a good idea to pair them with a high class board Johan, but $1600 that's really steep for so little gains! AJ. ;)

Yes Hokie you dead right a AX1200i PSU to run the unit!

EDIT: Serious question to all AMD Members will the Corsair H80i cut it with all the extra heat?? With a TDP of 220w!

Last edited:
At least NewEgg are pairing it with a motherboard that can handle it, I'm not so sure about the H80I though.

Yeah, H80i isn't going to cut it at all. Definitely needs a 240 rad.

an h80????? no friggen way. my 3x120 has a time with it.
a 1000 watt psu, very good idea.
they get a +1 on the topend board also.
1600 bucks????, go get an intel rig for that, and a very nice one for that dough!!!!

So talking about the H220 as from the other thread on OCF they have been pulled from the shelves in the USA!! Due to a Lawsuit so is any one going for a Custom water loop as C__D said! Because the H80 is not a option with this CPU. AJ. :shrug: ;)

I had used the H70 with Ultra Kaze 30mm fans with my fx 8120 with max OC somewhere around 4.5 - 4.6GHZ but that was running them fans full out, the antek 920 was also capable of similar clocks .... I think 4.5GHZ was max as well as an H100 4.6GHZ max.

The big issue with these was noise, after a while the noise would drive me nuts. When running a BLU-RAY movie I would have to leave the room. Big reason why I went for water cooling. Without getting my hands on one of these and seeing for myself the actual heat they generate, having just bought a house and have more important things to spend my money on now that isn't going to happen especially at the price they are listed for. But based on my experience with the above coolers I would say that an H80 is a very minimum cooler for this chip and I am not sure if even the bigger H110 will allow much of an OC with this chip, for me this would be a minimum cooler for either of the 9000 series CPU.

Back