• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 9000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's what happens when you put 2 little piggies in the same pen. The trough just isn't big enough for both of them. :rofl:

Speaking of no line voltage, with my new 580 overclocked I can't go past 5.0 on the 8350 of the system just shuts down. My little ol Seasonic 650 isn't going to cut it anymore, I was drawing 600+ from the wall according to my watt meter @ 4.7 on the cpu and 980/1120 on the GPU.

Man, this is not good news for me. I was just lining up to get a 7970, but I hadn't thought about the power draw at all. I run a 620w Seasonic, so I'm toast for sure with that config if you can't pull it off with your PSU. :bang head

Anyone have an update on the FX-9000? I want to know what board AMD suggests running it on if it really is released. I just hope that it isn't a binned 8350 that is stock at 5ghz but only will OC then to 5.5ghz.

MD- here is what we need :D

DSCF4285.JPG

OC I knew my 8350 was a power ***** but it never dawned on me that with the additional gtx 580 over the 5850 I had it would draw that much more power. Was I wrong, at full load with the 5850 at 1000/1145 and the 8350 at 5.3 I was pulling a bit over 500w at the wall max. As I said above with the 580 at 980/1120 and the 8350 @ 4.7 I was hitting about 610w max. When I went to bench Heaven at 5.3 it just shut off mid test, I knew right there and then I overloaded the 12v rail. I almost bought a Seasonic that was in Neweggs shell shocker deals yesterday. I think it ws the SII 750w for 79.99-20 mir but I think I'm going to play it safe and get something a bit bigger.

Yeah, I saw the S12II 750w on sale yesterday too. It would have been tempting for me too, except if I'm going to upgrade from my M12II 620w, the plan would be grabbing one of their gold/bronze rated models. The unit I posted the label for would be my pick if it was <$250. I think you'd be plenty safe at 750w, unless you plan on a crossfire down the road.

Is your rig all good still even after overloading the PSU? My nightmare is something like that happen with one of my rigs and having multiple components end up fried at once. Be careful!

Watch the classies guys. I picked up this 1K Superflowe for $140. Even thogh at the time I had to endure some jeering. I knew what I was doing. I'm not sure which pulls more power the FX or just 1 of the 580's. Throw two in the box and it's a no brainer.

Anyone have an update on the FX-9000? I want to know what board AMD suggests running it on if it really is released. I just hope that it isn't a binned 8350 that is stock at 5ghz but only will OC then to 5.5ghz.

This might not be what you're looking for but

LOS ANGELES, CA--(Marketwired - Jun 11, 2013) - E3 -- AMD (NYSE: AMD) today unveiled its most powerful member of the legendary AMD FX family of CPUs, the world's first commercially available 5 GHz CPU processor, the AMD FX-9590. These 8-core CPUs deliver new levels of gaming and multimedia performance for desktop enthusiasts. AMD FX-9000 Series CPUs will be available initially in PCs through system integrators.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...rst-ever-5-ghz-processor-nyse-amd-1800392.htm

The rest of the article. Which is copied right from the AMD site.

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-unleashes-2013jun11.aspx

■FX-9590: Eight “Piledriver” cores, 5 GHz Max Turbo = They are really hedging and hyping their PR releases. That is 5.0Ghz MAX in Turbo Mode. The default is n0t 5.0Ghz according to the PR release. They have had Vishera in Fab long enough to have made some minor changes as often happens to processors after a maturing of the fab. Has happened for years. But the release plainly says it is Vishera core and only 5.0Ghz max in turbomode so I doubt there is any extra headroom to be had. As far as I could see they did not release a TDP rating so there is not much more can even be guessed about the two 9xxx cpus.
RGone...

That's probably why they're going to builers first. They have to figure out what these things are like en masse. Watch the forums light up when these hit mainstream!

Is your rig all good still even after overloading the PSU? My nightmare is something like that happen with one of my rigs and having multiple components end up fried at once. Be careful!
Yup that's what you get when you buy a quality PSU, it just shut down when it was overloaded. I would assume that the worst case scenario would be a corrupted OS.

As far as the Fx 9590 I would love to see what they are going to be using as a heastsink. What is going to be really funny, is when you see the motherboard manufacturers start saying that a lower end board is compatible. Imagine that Cpu on a 4+1 Vrm with no heatsinks, there will be a lot of snap, crackle, popping going on.

Ah hah that snap, crackle and popping going on sounds like a 'classic' breakfast cereal or a nice bonfire or fireplace scene comes to mind. Should be good. Old cereal or nice roaring fire. I can just see it in my minds eye. Hehehe.
RGone...

Bonfire... Beer...

This processor will make me want beer because it'll be as hot as that bonfire, and crackling the board!

I imagine a lot of RMA's in the future, for motherboards manufacturers, if these dummies actually say you can run it on a lower end board.

As far as the Fx 9590 I would love to see what they are going to be using as a heastsink. What is going to be really funny, is when you see the motherboard manufacturers start saying that a lower end board is compatible. Imagine that Cpu on a 4+1 Vrm with no heatsinks, there will be a lot of snap, crackle, popping going on.

No doubt they will. Gotta move that old stock. And the users that want a cheap board cause they just spent their wad on a $300 chip!

No doubt they will. Gotta move that old stock. And the users that want a cheap board cause they just spent their wad on a $300 chip!

Yes but you don't for a minute beleive the mobo makers are not in the know? You know they know and that is why the plethora of REV 3.0 type boards now appearing. The mobo makers are not going to allow that huge current draw thru the VRMs of the Rev 3.0 type boards. APM = Disable is missing or well-hid. HPC is the new bios menu. It has to be turned on and off for each bios change is what it seems to say by those in forums that I have read. So surely not the neat deal we once had with a few lower end boards like the UD3 that if played with extensively would clock a 6 core or 8 core cpu. Not now is my understanding.

I believe the mobo makers had a heads-up and were preparing for the new 9xxx cpus. Or they are merely responding to issues even we who have tried to keep up have missed. IF my non-z CHV will understand the cpu intalled in it, then it will run a 9xxx cpu. Sabertooth 990FX Rev2.0 will also. Asrock 990FX Ext 9 as well, but beyond that right now my mind just cannot envision any other boards that will absorb the punishment of higher default speed 9xxx processors for the public at large that thinks to overclock and forgets that most of our instructions are to overclock all cores ALL the time. The OEMs with locked bioses can easily accomadte 9xxx. They allow NO full on overclock. It works for them and they have bigger and cheaper cpus to lure in the unknowing. When that cpu translates to DIY...all bets are off.
RGone...

So following that line of thought the MOBO makers release a new bios to support the 9xxx series that will basiclly neuter it. So no matter the tweaking and head banging the chip will run but only on their terms.

Back