• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 9000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Meh, I'm making do with my current chip until Steamroller is out. I hardly use it anymore anyways.... Then it can replace my 955BE in the media centre ;)

:sly: I thought the whole point of a media PC was to be as cool and quiet as possible- that's why I still even run my X3 455 instead of dropping in the 965. I can't imagine the FX in my HTPC case- it'd be louder than whatever it was playing. :p

SB- it isn't just about the BIOS. The physical avenues to channel that much power are not in place on boards like the '78=L. It isn't that the board isn't well built or designed, it's that it was spec'ed for WAY less and the extra capacity that is there for margin isn't going to be unlimited.

RGone- I can't disagree with your logic, and perhaps if I had a CHV of my own so I could tweak with it longer than an hour or two I'd see that in fact there is something I'm giving up now. I understand the design differences between the CHV/Sabertooth and the plain 990 boards from Asus and agree in principle they should be a step above. I guess I'll just consider myself lucky I'm doing okay with what I have now and will take the opportunity to pickup a CHV and compare for my next build.

Anyway, I'm curious to see if they even package a cooler with the 9590- I'm betting they may not and hand off that liability to individual owners. Can't complain about it overheating if they didn't provide your cooling as a package.

May well go for the 9590 as a scratch project if those bench comparisons charts are legit. Main reason I stay with AMD is that it's nice to have within reach always running the fastest CPU they are offering. Had planned on being the first with a Steamroller anyway, and that seems like it's a ways further down the road for release.

Pretty sure the 8120 is better at a low load than the 955 is. It's only when pushed that it guzzles power. Xbmc can't push it

As Rgone stated my previous board was a M5A99X EVO, which I still have and it clocks my 955 be very well. With that said I couldn't get the 8350 prime blend stable past 4.4 ghz. The second I tried running prime after 4.4, no matter how much Cpu V and such a added it would just hard lock. I ran it as high as 4.9 on that board but it was no where near what I would consider stable. As soon as I bought my CHV I was able to get the 8350 stable 2 hours prime at 5.1 though I never run it above 4.7, other then benching.

My experience was nearly identical. Had it stable at 4.5 and even that was a battle. That's when I first started posting in this forum. I couldn't understand why my socket temps were +20° over my core temps. I had the pleasure of running into bassnut and Rgone . They helped me understand what the problem was.
Either way that M5A99FX pro is a great board just not 8350 calibre for my taste. The Sabretooth now that's a different story. It's built rugged and can handle the power I've put through it so far ( 1.65v) and I'm sure it'll take more I just don't have the cooling for it yet.

Anyway, I'm curious to see if they even package a cooler with the 9590- I'm betting they may not and hand off that liability to individual owners. Can't complain about it overheating if they didn't provide your cooling as a package.
They likely won't. It would be easy enough to design a cooler for the load, but due the size it would have to be it would add too much cost. In manufacturing and shipping.

Intel didn't bother shipping one with their SNB-E offerings. It is likely to be the same idea.

I just hope there's not FX60 and FX62-like prices! (Like in 2006, when AMD was wrestling with Conroe.)
That period marked the start of the AMD losing streak. :(

I heard these 2 new processors are not being sold to the general public, but only to PC manufactures to use in there prebuild computers?

So I cant buy an FX-9000 and put it into my current rig>? I have to buy a whole new Dell computer or some name brand in order to get this chip?

Doesn't make sense to me has anyone else heard of this?

I believe that was discussed already in this thread, and we won't know for sure until release time.

I heard these 2 new processors are not being sold to the general public, but only to PC manufactures to use in there prebuild computers?

So I cant buy an FX-9000 and put it into my current rig>? I have to buy a whole new Dell computer or some name brand in order to get this chip?

Doesn't make sense to me has anyone else heard of this?

That sounds unlikely to me. The simple reason is that you're going to need a fairly beefy VRM section on the motherboard to run an FX9000 at such high speeds and with such high TDP. You can't have the typical "as few phases as humanly possible" approach OEMs take when they make their boards.

I think the target is more like Cyberpower than Dell, but still an OEM.

Well the OEMs hold a large advantage in that they control the bios. Will not be any of that turning all the cores on at the same time and then clocking the p*ss out of the cpu and drawing all that current thru the VRMs. And the large system intergrators have engineers not DIY'ers speccing the board, so they could conceiveably come out okay. It won't be much but for hype for the OEMs anyway. Most mid level to lower level pre-configured rigs never do much work anyway is my real guess.
RGone...

I was in Canada Computers today .... yup bad thing for me but had to kill some time and let traffic die off. Seem they are expecting the new FX 9000 on the 16th ..... apparently they are currently in stock at the warehouse. Speculation was right they do not come with a cooler. According to the guy I was talking to only 2 Motherboard will support it .... he CHIV and the Sabertooth.

Take this with a grain of salt guys ...... this same guy has his FX8150 running at 5.2GHZ stable with max temps around 38*C....... :shock::salute:

Also of note ..... there was not a rev 3 board to be seen and they now have new stock on new rev 2 Sabertooths as well as UD3. There might be something behind the talk about the new boards having been recalled or at least not being distributed. :popcorn:

yup...... the look he gave me when I questioned it was like I was suddenly growing a new head. I left it at that just said everyone can choose it stability as long as he is happy ..... cool and left.

nope ...... not sure if it is even worth getting. I will keep an eye out I still have a week before my time in Ottawa is done. Now I am not sure if they meant this month on the 16th or next month.

Back