• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II 1050T OC @ 3.7 problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craig_

Registered
Hi, first off this is my first try at overclocking my rig. I've got a Phenom II 1050T, with 16 GB corsair vengance, running on a Asus Crosshair V Formula (latest bios). I got to 3.5 relatively easily using the FSB as my processor has a locked multiplier. At this point I ran prime for 5+ hours without any problems. Set this as a profile in bios, re-enabled all power saving features and tested again. All good till I tried to put my computer to sleep. Windows goes to sleep, but the computer stays running. If I hit the power button for 5 seconds, sometimes it will hibernate, sometimes it will come back from sleep, sometimes blue screen. I asked some questions on another forum about how to fix the sleep problem I couldn't find an answer. I did however get some help to get it to 3.7 then 3.8 all temps are good and prime runs stable for 20 - 30 min runs. (haven't tried passed that) Past 3.8 looks like a wall. The thing I notice though is the further I push the overclock the more symptoms I get from the sleep problem. At 3.75 and 3.8 sometimes the computer doesn't want to shutdown, same thing as sleep. Monitors go off, usb goes out, but computer stays running with fans and lights. Holding the power button will shut it down. After pushing to 3.8 and above I had to revert to my last saved profile @3.7 because I couldn't get it stable. Now if I clear cmos and run at stock settings everything works as it should, sleep, shutdown, restart..... Comparing settings reveals that all power saving features are set the same on both profiles. Anyone have any ideas on what is going on here? I should also mention that bois reported voltages and cpu-z voltages don't match. Bios says stock v-core is 1.44 v, cpu-z says something like 1.28. @ 3.7 with a + offset of .00675 cpu-z says 1.344 for v-core. I think thats everything I can think of now. Any one have any ideas what's going on? Nobody at the other place can seem to think of anything other than, "disable sleep".

Thanks

Craig

Disable sleep will be the first advice most around here would give you as well. Windows sleep mode has always been problematic especially when you start OC'ing.
First things first though. You should put up a sig like you'll see in the bottom of my post.

Capturesig.JPG

If you're interested in upping your OC we'll want to see some more info.
A snip of HWmonitor(non Pro) while Prime95 is running to get an idea of your temps and voltages. Also a snip of CPU-z memory and spd tabs.

As for the windows sleep make sure that you are in balanced power mode in windows and in the BIOS that APM(application power management) is enabled.
When OC'ing we typically disable all the power saving(green) stuff so we have control over the system instead of the other way around.

Last edited:
You might need a couple more posts for the sig and for some reason the pics aren't showing up. Use windows snipping tool and sve the individual windows. Go to the advanced section at the bottom of the post box. Once there you;ll fimd a paperclip beside the smiley use that to upload your images.
First try shutting off the cool and quiet, disable apm,epu C! and C6 in the bios to see if your problem persists during shutdown and restart. Also put windows in performance mode and set it so nothing ever shuts down.

How many sticks make up the 16 GB of memory? If it's 4x4GB, I recommend removing 2 of those sticks. Less memory slots occupied means less strain on the IMC, which may improve the symptoms you speak of.

As for sleep, your going to be hard pressed to get that to work. From what I've seen, it either works when you overclock, or it doesn't.

When you post CPU-z pics, please include the SPD tab. Without it we cannot tell what the RAM manufacturer recommends for timings and voltages at different frequency levels. All we know from the Memory tab is what timing and frequency you are currently running for the ram. Concerning the Signature, you don't have enough posts to be able to access that feature yet. By the time you have one gold star under your name you can create a Sig.

I do have all of those pics spu, memory, and hardware monitor are you guys not seeing them? I do on my computer I am using 4x4 GB ram, I do however us about 12-14 GB on a regular basis.

Nope no pix here. Did you get your comp behaving better.
The ram should be able to stabalize with some voltage to the IMC

how do you host pics? i put them in my dropbox and copied the public link. it worked elsewhere.

First click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the reply box.

Cappic.JPG

Click on the paper clip.

Cappic2.JPG

Another box will popup click browse to look thru your files then select something and click upload.
When the upload is done close the dialogue box.
When you want to insert that pic click on the paperclip again and then select the pic in the dropdown list.

I don't have a file upload/attachment button on my advanced post screen. Look back at my previous post, I changed the pictures tags to links to my dropbox.

Your links won't work for me. You should be able to add attachments. I can't remember if there is a minimum # of posts first but try again if you don't mind. You've hit 5 posts now it might work.

I just checked back to my very first post and I attached a photo and cpuz/ hwmonitor snips

haha, I didn't realize that a confirmation was sent to my email, lets see if I can change my sig now too

nope... Still no option for that :(. Can you see the pics now?

Yes I can. Everything looks good so far as temps and volts. Were you running Prime95 when you took those shots,
Since you are limited to FSB only I would set my Ram to the XMP profile That will give you a couple hundred Mhz on your ram before we need to worry about it causing problems.

What other settings have you made in the BIOS so far?

so far all's i've done is up my front side bus, as that happens lower the memory clock and cpu northbridge/ ht link speed as needed. I also added some voltage to my v-core to help stabalize at 3.7 GHz, this wasn't needed at 3.5 GHz. I was running prime but only for voltages. CPU core temp 20 mins after running prime is about 40 - 42 degrees.

Well like I said earlier shut off all the power saving stufff. I would bump the CPU/NB voltage to 1.25 to help satbalize the IMC.
Are you using manual or offset voltage?
For the NB frequency try to keep it 2400 to 2500 and HT 2000 to 2200.

I don't have a file upload/attachment button on my advanced post screen. Look back at my previous post, I changed the pictures tags to links to my dropbox.

Yes, I see them. My fault for not paying closer attention but I only saw two CPU-z tab pics and I assumed they would be the CPU and Memory tab as almost always new members neglect to include the SPD tab. But that means you neglected to show the CPU tab so please do that. We don't know what your HT Link frequency is until we get that pic.

Last edited:
1. Looks to me like your CPU core voltage is too low to progress past 3.7. HWMonitor shows a load vcore of 1.368. To get where you want to go I'm guessing you will need at least 1.425.
2. As others have said, we don't advice enabling sleep mode. It's invariable problematic, even at stock speeds and voltages. Neither do we advise having the "green stuff" enabled when you are trying for a high overclock.

Back