• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Turbo Core technology

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vandexa1

Assuming the CPU works correctly in the motherboard, does AMD Turbo Core technology depend on anything else in the PC to work correctly?

I'm stretching the window on what an older Dell Optiplex 740 SFF can do. I've already upgraded from an Athlon X2 to a Phenom X4, ringtones free to a Phenom II X4 successfully. Now I'm wondering if a Phenom II X4 960T with Turbo Core will work. The motherboard is a Dell and has no capability to adjust any settings.

Last edited:
its out dated , i dont think older dells support newer turbo technology

It might be fun to get an old Asus mobo with Core Unlocker and see if that 960T will unlock to an X6. That would be a big leap in performance.

AFIK the 960T doesn't have a turbo function in it. I think Alaric has the best solution. Get another mobo with core unlocker and some OC capabilities. This would give you some life in that PC for a bit longer

Now that you mention it... But isn't the Turbo function just an automatic OC and chipset dependent? I'm guessing here, as I went from a Phenom X4 to a FX chip. I still haven't used my 980 BE for anything. (It may be dead)

Yep you're correct up to 3.4GHz, I always forget it started with the Thubans

The chip needs the proper P-States programmed into it first then bios support so it's a two way street

Well keep in mind that almost every Dell pre-built will not take a normal motherboard, so you should investigate that before spending the cash (and then report back, because I'm thinking of buying a few SFFs for media centers).

Back in the day, most overclockers disabled the Turbo core feature on the 960 Thubans and ran all viable cores at the same frequency. It was common for one one of the two hidden cores not to be viable or for one of the two to become unstable over time. Usually, for whatever reason, it was core #5.

Back