• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This...

But in the end, for overclockers, it's a big flop. You can BARELY (100mhz if you are lucky it seems) get past its own boost/xfr using all cores and seemingly needing water to do so. I really wanted to see 4.5ghz+ on ambient and hoped to see it in the Intel ln2 ballpark for the hex/octos. But it's a few hundred mhz short with a few hundred mhz head start. I'm not sure a revision will get it there. Curious to hear what Dolk has to say on that, honestly. :)

Same feeling here. I was kind of frustrated of not being able to get one on day one due to cash hemoragy, but waiting a bit won't hurt. It also heped me of not maing the mistake of bying a 1800X when the 1700 overclocks just the same for €350 instead of €550. And with a low overclock margin, I am sure a B350 board will do an excellent job. Without the bells and whistles, but a fine job anyway. So something like €300 saved, which is a lot when looking at the overall budget.

STill impatient ot get one though!

Edit: fingers get soft, typo explosion!

Don't want to start a war, but I did not mention 7600K... As I believe 4C/4T is just not relevant nowadays. As is 8GB of RAM. 6 threads are the bare minimum, if you want to use your rig with a minimum comfort and ease (not having an eye on resource monitor...). Don't want to close my browser, my email client and my music client when gaming and/or streaming. If so I get a PS4 pro and call it a day. Or if I don't game but hae a casual use, an i3 will do the job.

You might not think a 4/4 CPU is relavent for gaming but the bench marks state other wise ryzen barely beats Haswell @stock in gaming and takes a loss when is 4.5ghz+
The money for better fps is better spent on a new gfx card vs a new CPU going all the way back to sandy bridge

You might not think a 4/4 CPU is relavent for gaming but the bench marks state other wise ryzen barely beats Haswell @stock in gaming and takes a loss when is 4.5ghz+
The money for better fps is better spent on a new gfx card vs a new CPU going all the way back to sandy bridge

I doubt they run any application in the background when benchmarking games... I stick to my judgement. ;)
Edit: on another hand, I agree on spending the money on a better GPU when already owning a decent CPU! Which is exactly what I will do, my [email protected] will do nicely ith a 1080ti.

This...

But in the end, for overclockers, it's a big flop. You can BARELY (100mhz if you are lucky it seems) get past its own boost/xfr using all cores and seemingly needing water to do so. I really wanted to see 4.5ghz+ on ambient and hoped to see it in the Intel ln2 ballpark for the hex/octos. But it's a few hundred mhz short with a few hundred mhz head start. I'm not sure a revision will get it there. Curious to hear what Dolk has to say on that, honestly. :)

Couldn't someone test with only 4 cores enabled so we could see how Ryzen overclock's in that situation?

I haven't followed Ryzen but I thought this CNBC article about Ryzen was interesting considering how many times people say that the gamer/enthusiast group isn't big enough to influence big companies. Hopefully AMD can recover some of the loss soon considering the price of the stock compared to how low it was not long ago.

Honestly it seems like Phenom II where the performance was good, but it didn't overclock very well. And less like the newer FX CPU's where the performance was terrible, but they overclocked pretty well (though it kind of needed it, as a 4.7-5GHz Octo-core FX performs like a 3-4GHz Quad-core Intel from what I gather).

I remember my Phenom II X4 965, it was a terrible overclocker and only made it to 3.8GHz stable if I remember correctly.

So, it's like Phenom III, I guess? Because 1.45v for ~4GHz was common for Phenom II quad's.

I was hoping for at least 4.2-4.6GHz.

Last edited:
This...

Remember B2 Phenom I's didn't clock much above stock speeds even when cold, but B3 was up to 4ghz with the right combo and chip on water. A revision on them could be night and day. R7 1850X will probably clock like a beast.

Don't want to start a war, but I did not mention 7600K... As I believe 4C/4T is just not relevant nowadays. As is 8GB of RAM. 6 threads are the bare minimum, if you want to use your rig with a minimum comfort and ease (not having an eye on resource monitor...). Don't want to close my browser, my email client and my music client when gaming and/or streaming. If so I get a PS4 pro and call it a day. Or if I don't game but hae a casual use, an i3 will do the job.

You said Kaby Lake is no longer worth buying and 7600k is Kaby Lake. You may have meant 7700k, in which case I would agree that I would buy Ryzen over a 7700k. If I was on a tight budget and wanted something now though I would get a 7600k. What I am actually going to do is wait and pick up a CPU from Intel Retail Edge program (assuming 7700k) or a Ryzen R3/5 once they are released just so I have something new to play with.

Couldn't someone test with only 4 cores enabled so we could see how Ryzen overclock's in that situation?
Since nobody has done it I kind of assumed there wasn't an option to disable cores in the BIOS like there was with FX.

This...

:( No board. CPU is here, but no mobo. It seems like reviewers were the only ones to get the Crosshairs. Both my pre-orders at Fry's and Newegg are still on hold, so I have to wait to play :-/

I've got a lot of tests in mind and the stupidly insane delta phans (ph for fat) should give me an idea on what low water temps can yield in OC. I'm skeptical as to what people are doing with overclocking and not exactly enthused to hear about the board issues. Late lab nights may be in order to see whats up on that particular rumor.

:( No board. CPU is here, but no mobo. It seems like reviewers were the only ones to get the Crosshairs. Both my pre-orders at Fry's and Newegg are still on hold, so I have to wait to play :-/

I've got a lot of tests in mind and the stupidly insane delta phans (ph for fat) should give me an idea on what low water temps can yield in OC. I'm skeptical as to what people are doing with overclocking and not exactly enthused to hear about the board issues. Late lab nights may be in order to see whats up on that particular rumor.
There is the possibility that boards got pulled due to problems. Just a thought. Seems silly for Asus to not have their stuff together.

Microcenter sold out of them twice today. Once this morning, more showed up from a drop shipment and those were gone 4 hours later.

in which case I would agree that I would buy Ryzen over a 7700k

Unless I could drop it in my Z170 mobo, since a new board is completely out of the financial equation for me. :) A 5 GHz KL is no slouch, and the only "upgrade" path available to me at present. Then again, that's a lot of money for half a GHz. :)

Unless I could drop it in my Z170 mobo, since a new board is completely out of the financial equation for me. :) A 5 GHz KL is no slouch, and the only "upgrade" path available to me at present. Then again, that's a lot of money for half a GHz. :)

I think the same thing, do I want to spend money just to have a posibe 400-500Mhz more speed that I do not need.

Just saw this. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-amd-shares-more-500-173920106.html

Relevant takeaway.
"The 1800X lags behind its Intel counterparts in gaming, regardless of whether it's running at the same clock speed or higher. By how much depends on how modern the game is, and how much it tasks the CPU," said the review.

Thoughts? Bearing in mind I have no regard for NBC/CNBC/PMSNBC as a source of factual journalism.

edit: Then we have this one.http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176...ming-pc-or-why-you-should-never-preorder.html Which seems kind of hinky, but I can't nail it down. A 3570 at 4.2 GHz smokes a 1700x with the same GPU ( a mid range card, at that)?

Last edited:
Well despite my better judgement I broke down and picked up a 1700x yesterday after work.I wanted to use it to power my ark SE game cluster.

First off it is a beast for multitasking for the price. Second it does not overclock well... 4.1 on water.

My current setup for these servers was a 4770k at 4.8ghz. It would keep the max 32 server side fps for game updates until about 60 players on a server where it would still push 20s

The 1700x after migrating all the save files over was rather disappointing. I would have thought the 8 cores would have been much more up to the task, but as soon as I had 20+ concurrent users connect the server side fps would dip in the 15-20 range which is still acceptable but definitely not worth changing to for this use.

From what I have seen the IPC on ryzen falls between Sandy and ivy bridge so about 4 generations back.

Unfortunately I will probably be returning this today and trying to pursue a e3 or e5 dual cpu setup for my servers.

Just wanted to share my quick results

Try disabling smt and see if that helps...

Really, the only limit you'd be eliminating are temps...but it wouldn't be like overclocking their r5 quad.

Case in point, 6700k/6600k both have different overclock points. Without HT enabled the 6700k will typically clock further than the 6600k which start off a few hundred mhz behind

Last edited:
All of this was not expected by me. The early leaks showed low clock speeds and deficits in gaming performance. That's why I went for the cheapest Ryzen 7 1700 65W CPU over the higher priced 95W "X" versions, and went for the budget B350 motherboard over the higher priced X370s. And being I'm not a serious gamer, Ryzen's performance there is OK for me with the benefit of the 8C/16T architecture. I had really wanted to wait for Ryzen 5, but by the time they come out I will be at the beach, and my computer toys will be back in Virginia.

The only issue for me is that the total price for my Ryzen 7 1700, MSI B350 Tomahawk, 16 GB G.Skill DDR4-3000 setup came to $550 with tax while I prefer to be close to or below $400 for a CPU/Mobo/RAM setup. My previous i7 5280K and dual E5 2670 setups, built with used and open box parts, both came in around that figure. So, at this point, I will play with it and sometime next week decide whether to keep it or return it to Microcenter.

I don't know why all these reviewers are comparing the 1800x to the 7700k in gaming performance.

I thought the 1800x was supposed to be for the "workstation/productivity" crowd given all the comparisons toward the 6800 & 6900

The reviewers are already throwing Ryzen under the bus when the 4t8t real gaming chips won't be here until Q2 to compete against Kaby Lake offerings.

Am I missing something here or is this more corporate nudging of big YouTube reviewers to slander Ryzen?

They compared it to processors with a similar core/thread count... apples to apples.

Lol, no corporate anything is slandering/libel ryzen.....

Back