• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Those are the boards I was thinking about... The disappointment was that higher speeds weren't available out of the box as it were, with the reported limits depending on number and type of module populated. Every OC Intel DDR4 system I have has run to around 3000 easy, with a module it likes at the least. If high end boards go to 4000+ that lower boards can't, fair enough. But lower AM4 boards here just seem a bit too low. On the Intel side, basically I would expect 3200+ out of a Prime X370 board or equivalent position/price without having to go to the expense of the Crosshair.

I recall quite a few speed increases along the way with Socket 1151... It used to be a golden pairing to run DDR4-3600+ and now DDR4-3866 is a set-and-forget.
BIOS maturity goes a long way for DRAM capabilities and compatibility.

What's this I'm reading about some boards not posting above 2666?

Is this one board in particular or just one?

I'm late to the party..... Sorry guys

I think higher tier boards/chipsets are posting the highest DRAM speeds? At least hitting those speeds with less effort. Pretty much standard operating procedure. Speed costs money-how fast do you want to go? I always love it when I can slip a car analogy into the conversation. :clap:

Don't have link but apparently the ram interface isn't very well optimised yet, and is expected to be improve with future bios updates. There are various speed recommendations depending on how many modules and what rank they are. Reports are the highest end Crosshair and the Gigabyte equivalent one are hitting the higher speeds (3200), whereas lower ones may not. Hope in not much more than a couple hours I can try for myself...

odd question: Anyone try OCing on the Wraith Spire cooler? Just interested in the results. If I go Ryzen (and am leaning that way) I need a new block and that wouldn't fit the budget for now.

Just copying these results from Hardware forum since it feels more appropriate here now that this is no longer the Zen BS thread and is now focused on reality. My setup is:

1. Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9 GHz w/ Cooler Master Hyper T4 - Core Voltage set at 1.4V
  2. MSI B350 Tomahawk
  3. G.Skill 2 x 8 GB DDR4-3000 Aegis

I did some quick experimentation this morning and it topped off at 3.9 GHz with 1.4V core voltage. It boots into Windows 10 at 4 GHz with a 1.425V core voltage but crashes under load. RAM OC is minimal with the the A-XMP setting failing at 2933 even though the memory is recognized and the timings and VDIMM are set correctly. I got the RAM to run at DDR4-2400 for the tests below. Temps are not really bad, going in the 60C to 65C range OC'd to 3.9 GHz. It does go over 70C after some time running Prime95 though, but I won't be doing that ever so ............ don't care.

Benches-3900.jpg

I don't know why all these reviewers are comparing the 1800x to the 7700k in gaming performance.

I thought the 1800x was supposed to be for the "workstation/productivity" crowd given all the comparisons toward the 6800 & 6900

The reviewers are already throwing Ryzen under the bus when the 4t8t real gaming chips won't be here until Q2 to compete against Kaby Lake offerings.

Am I missing something here or is this more corporate nudging of big YouTube reviewers to slander Ryzen?

Q2 the i7 7700k will still be around to beat Ryzen 4c 8t, Q2 Ryzen is the same architecture.

odd question: Anyone try OCing on the Wraith Spire cooler? Just interested in the results. If I go Ryzen (and am leaning that way) I need a new block and that wouldn't fit the budget for now.

I'll try the Spire initially since it comes bundled with the 1700. Got something better to try later as needed. Build time starts... now!

I just started my testing on the 1700 and was impressed with stock clock of 3.2 P95 blend running on all cores the CPU never got to 29c and ran at 1.05v using a Noctua D15

I see the Win10 desktop on the test system, but I'm stuffing my face at the moment before next phase. Bios CPU voltages confused me. One part with an offset was showing around 1.18, and nearly 1.3v in the monitor. Temps reported in bios were around 40C, not great for idle...

I see the Win10 desktop on the test system, but I'm stuffing my face at the moment before next phase. Bios CPU voltages confused me. One part with an offset was showing around 1.18, and nearly 1.3v in the monitor. Temps reported in bios were around 40C, not great for idle...

Right now, set at 3.9 GHz but idling at 1.55 GHz, my temp is at 33C with my Hyper T4.

Just an FYI for anyone interested, the Asus Crosshair VI Hero has both AM3 and AM4 mounting holes. So older blocks will fit on it.

Has there been any speculation on Ryzen multi-processor compatibility? I know they advertise it as scalable, but does that mean scalable to multi-proc boards or scalable like they can keep adding cores/modules to a certain extent with no issue? Im leaning towards the second option considering Naples is supposed to be 32 core.

Has there been any speculation on Ryzen multi-processor compatibility? I know they advertise it as scalable, but does that mean scalable to multi-proc boards or scalable like they can keep adding cores/modules to a certain extent with no issue? Im leaning towards the second option considering Naples is supposed to be 32 core.

In the AMA on reddit yesterday someone from AMD said there is no mutli socket compatibility.

The BIOS or UEFI firmware that enables power management is rare. Expecting your CPU to run off wildly doing nothing at all is normal.

Last edited:
Back