• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Back to rumours... Link to a copy as source isn't available. Claims R5 coming April 11.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...-april-11th-6c12t-and-4c8t-options-available/

1600X 6/12 3.6-4.0 GHz $249
1600 6/12 3.2-3.6 GHz $219
1500X 4/8 3.5-3.7 GHz $189
1400 4/8 3.2-3.4GHz $168

If true, for me I think the 1600 is the sweet spot although the narrow price gap to 1600X leaves it in consideration. But I will fill in that spare mobo with either of these...

I'm finding it harder to see value in the quads. Although more expensive, I think a 7600k would be able to significantly offset its lack of HT for threaded workloads through higher clocks, while blowing away R5 in less threaded tasks.

I only wanted 8 cores or more and even though performance isn't bad then overclocking is really disappointing.

This was posted, then taken down at Guru3d. Sorry that it's a little fuzzy, but I can't go back. If this is true, kudos to AMD for getting these cheaper CPUs out so fast. The 6C/12T variant was always my primary interest.

Ryzen 5.jpg

That is what my point was, the clock will throttle. However Dolk is technically saying the Vcore will drop first with the AM4 B350.:eek:

OCP stands for Over Current Protection. In the case of over heating, we will see current drop. Voltage will rise instantaneously causing OVP to react. Chips are designed to first do clock and voltage throttling, but if the system is to over-burdened (Prime95) than it will crash because the CPU can't recover in time.

You're going to like the new BIOS/board Dolk. I did some more ram tweaking last night and it doesn't look half bad even compared to Intel. Latency is still a bit low but bandwidth is up there

aida 3300 CL14.JPG

You know what they say. "Good things come to Dolks who wait" LOL

My patience hasn't really grown over the years since those benching days :D

Oh well, a second RX480 is arriving today, so I'll have that which is nice.

Also that 1600X is looking like Thuban++

My patience hasn't really grown over the years since those benching days :D

Oh well, a second RX480 is arriving today, so I'll have that which is nice.

Also that 1600X is looking like Thuban++
I'm more interested in the 1600 so I'll come back to Ryzen in April for a 1600 and, hopefully, better sorted motherboards. My 1700X, ASRock and G.Skill are getting returned to Microcenter later today. ASRock finally got tired of my "feedback" identifying flaws in their BIOS updates and told me to just return the board. I sent them screen shots to clearly define the issues, but they are apparently happy with it not working correctly so I'm out for now.

Well there you have it. 75C after 5mins of stress. That's hot! I'm not surprised that some of the OC can only last for like 30mins under full load. Its not the CPU that is causing issues, its the mobo.

I'd say, keep those VRMs below 70C under 24/7 stress test, and you should see a bit more wiggle room. Really cool them, and you may get more but it will tapper off quickly.

I think the key to RyZen will be to keep the entire system as cold as possible rather than just the CPU like it has been in the past. Again no first hand experience just yet.

For those that are curious:

https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/AND8199-D.PDF

This paper by On Semi Conductors goes into a bit about what thermals looks like in terms of current output based on voltage input to the FET. Terms to be aware of:
ID = Current Drain from FET. This is the current that would be pushed into the CPU
Vgs = Voltage from Gate to Source. This is the voltage ratio difference between the FET gate to its Source. For MOSFETs you want the Voltage on the Drain Pin to be greater than the Vgs ratio to allow full saturation. When this number is too low, the FET will source lower amounts of current to the Drain pin. *NOTE* that the Vgs in the paper will be much much higher than what is on these mobos, this is just an example.

FWIW, my experience tends to match this. With my Gigabyte Gaming 3, I have adequate cooling to keep the chip only in the 60s under P95. It seems like the chip is stable (no failures), but then my PC will just abruptly shut off. More voltage doesn't make any difference, so it does seem like there is some other limiting factor. Either that or I just got a really terrible sample that can't even make it to 3.8 GHz.

Yay got my stuff:

Asus Prime X370-pro
16gb Gskill aegis ddr3-3000 (single sided, has a sticker instead of heat spreaders... Really gskill?)
XFX RX480 8gb 1288 factory OC (w/ hardswap fans)
Phanteks RGB LED light strips(aura compatible)
Factory cooler cause I am still waiting on my CM 212evo adapter. They FINALLY shipped it today...

Half built. Mostly wired. Gotta do some SSD magic to save my user data. Then I'm gonna try to keep my free win10 upgrade (came from a win 8 pro upgrade, which was used on a full version win 7. Supposedly the license for the upgrades is tied to the original license, IE if it was a full version you can install on a new system). Gonna try to boot the drive in Windows recovery mode, and make windows reinstall itself. Hoping that prevents hoops to jump through.

FWIW, my experience tends to match this. With my Gigabyte Gaming 3, I have adequate cooling to keep the chip only in the 60s under P95. It seems like the chip is stable (no failures), but then my PC will just abruptly shut off. More voltage doesn't make any difference, so it does seem like there is some other limiting factor. Either that or I just got a really terrible sample that can't even make it to 3.8 GHz.

What do you have for a PSU?

So it needs to be asked.

Ryzen has been out a little bit now so how are people feeling about making their purchase? Happy? Disappointed? Meh?

Just curious where others stand. I picked one up and returned it shortly after due to issues with pretty much everything mentioned in this thread. I am just curious what the general feeling is about the new architecture of ryzen and how people are feeling in every day usage performance.

So it needs to be asked.

Ryzen has been out a little bit now so how are people feeling about making their purchase? Happy? Disappointed? Meh?

Just curious where others stand. I picked one up and returned it shortly after due to issues with pretty much everything mentioned in this thread. I am just curious what the general feeling is about the new architecture of ryzen and how people are feeling in every day usage performance.

Well after about 5 days on my 1700 @ 3.8GHZ 1.25/1.2 (can't remember, at work now)... Haven't attempted much higher than that. But I have enjoyed playing Ghost Recon Wildlands and League of Legends mostly. I do noticed some frame drops in League... not noticeable to me, must be the GSync. I see it via Afterburners OSD. Ghost Recon seems mostly the same. However didn't pay attention to my frame rates on my 6700K @ 4.5ghz. I can set that back up this weekend and see how it runs in comparison. My issue is mainly my ram not wanting to clock any higher than 2400Mhz. Might need to snag some of the ram with the samsung-b chips on them based on everyone's results I've been seeing.

It feels smoother, I don't really notice hiccups watching streams and playing video games on the Ryzen; however I have not been on the hunt for issues and been playing video games. I play in 1440p and plan on getting a 1080Ti so I'm not terribly worried about having a cpu bottleneck. However, Ryzen is having growing pains via ram and motherboards. In the next few weeks I would imagine selling one of my sets of hardware, but as of right now I am not sure what one to dump just yet...

Back