• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So it needs to be asked.

Ryzen has been out a little bit now so how are people feeling about making their purchase? Happy? Disappointed? Meh?

Just curious where others stand. I picked one up and returned it shortly after due to issues with pretty much everything mentioned in this thread. I am just curious what the general feeling is about the new architecture of ryzen and how people are feeling in every day usage performance.
Disappointed.

I'm a gamer and an overclocker, and both aspects were a letdown. Overclocking was disappointing in general due to the low ceiling overall, and in particular because I got an overclocking dud -- my 1700 takes 1.351v to get to 3.8GHz where good overclockers only take 1.2v for the same speed. And even at 1.46v I can't make 4.0GHz stable. I tried with two cores disabled as well -- still no joy.

And for gaming - I went from a 6600K @ 4.4GHz with an overclocked 980Ti to a 1700 @ 3.8GHz with an overclocked 1080. My main game at the moment is Titanfall 2 and FPS is down using the same settings at 1440p. Yes it's still smooth due to G-Sync ... but every time I see the FPS counter I cringe.

The only redeeming quality is the fact that I have to tweak settings and tinker with stuff to get it working right. I love doing that, but there's only so much to do. And then AMD is going to be releasing a "big update" ... in frickin' May. They should be getting it to us a hell of a lot sooner than that.

I loved doing the inFEKshun build as it was fun and challenging ... but the result was subpar performance.

I should have waited for the reviews.

I really hope these memory speeds increase with bios updates. I'm near this on DDR3 yet. Run 1400mhz daily Cas 12......

Ah! But that's why we Overclock!! :D

Can't wait to see your benching results. I will be watching out for them!!

My Ryzen build was put on hold when I got my hands on a 1981 El Camino SS. It's overclocked a bit with an upgraded Carb, heads and exhaust system with a bit larger fuel pump. Steep rear end gearing and bucket seats.

I think my hobby interest has changed. I haven't really benched in a minute myself.

facebook_1489557270409.jpg

What do you have for a PSU?

It's occurred to me that it could be the PSU. It's a 700W Raidmax Titanium, so you'd think it would be pretty good, but I only got it recently since it was on sale so I can't vouch for how solid it actually is. I really need another decent board so I can compare and see if I get the same results.

Actually, I suppose I can swap out the PSU, but I don't really want to take apart another one of my systems though and have to redo all the cabling again.

Just some mini-feedback: the Prime X370 seems fairly stable on latest BIOS, 0504. I did have one hard lock, and not sure why. Was before I enabled DOCP which kicked my RAM to 2933. On a cheap set of Aegis ram, ddr4-3000, that has stickers and not heat spreaders...(still floored by this, why bother gskill???). Haven't begun overclocking yet, as I am still getting her setup.

Couple questions:
1. My last Asus board was a first run 970 board. Does EZ update pull down application and driver updates, or only bios?
2. I haven't had an AMD card since a 5870m: does updating drivers for the AMD GPU also force a chipset update, or does that need to be installed separately?
3. Ryzen Master:. Keep getting a 'driver not installed' error, and one know anything about this?

Ryzen has been out a little bit now so how are people feeling about making their purchase? Happy? Disappointed? Meh?

I'd say meh for now. It was pretty much within expectations. Remember I approach this with a compute heavy hat on. For general usage, it's IPC is close enough to recent Intel. Its FMA performance and probably even x87 still lags significantly so it will limit the use cases. I'm not much of an overclocker myself since I'm more interested in performance per watt, than max performance. Still, I verified 3.6 GHz 1.2V although 3.7 at same would probably be ok too, I decided to keep more headroom. Something I haven't explained yet is I didn't see throughput scaling with clock like I would expect on Intel. There has been speculation about cache I've yet to explore. Ram wise, it really doesn't like the sticks I have in there, but I know those sticks seem disliked by most of my mobos. Looking forward to seeing if future bios will help in these areas, and for software to better optimise for it.

Having said all that, I've never thought about returning mine, and am considering an R5 to fill the 2nd mobo I have. To limit box proliferation at home, this might push me to shift some i3 systems. I simply have run out of places to put systems!

Catching up with the now-official R5 details, I find it curious even the 1500X is supposed to have the full 16MB L3 cache, with only the lower 1400 having 8MB. Core configuration is 3+3 and 2+2, which makes me wonder about the cache of the 1400. I have to assume they can disable part and keep it balanced, so down to 4MB per CCX. It would give unpredictable performance had it been 8/0. Still, if anyone has a need for big cache per core*, the 1500X I think has the highest ever of any x86 processor at 4MB per core, 4.5MB if you combine with L2.

*I'm excluding Crystal Well as effective L4 cache from comparison here since it never took off on desktop, and even in mobile it was pretty niche.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some mini-feedback: the Prime X370 seems fairly stable on latest BIOS, 0504. I did have one hard lock, and not sure why. Was before I enabled DOCP which kicked my RAM to 2933. On a cheap set of Aegis ram, ddr4-3000, that has stickers and not heat spreaders...(still floored by this, why bother gskill???). Haven't begun overclocking yet, as I am still getting her setup.

Couple questions:
1. My last Asus board was a first run 970 board. Does EZ update pull down application and driver updates, or only bios?
2. I haven't had an AMD card since a 5870m: does updating drivers for the AMD GPU also force a chipset update, or does that need to be installed separately?
3. Ryzen Master:. Keep getting a 'driver not installed' error, and one know anything about this?
Pretty similar to my experience with the Prime X370 and G.Skill Aegis, DOCP worked with 0504, getting it to 2933. Since the RAM doesn't get hot, I wouldn't worry about heatspreaders, they're mostly just to make the RAM look cool and often interfere with CPU HS/Fans. The board was still a bit funky with overclocks, it would run fine and then I'd get an overclock fail on a restart or cold boot. The day I decided to return it, it wouldn't boot at all.

With Ryzen Master, when I was running the 1700s, I got the error message stated that HPET wasn't enabled and could not use it for overclocking. I then followed the process to enable it, got some contradictory messages during the enable process, and then the HPET message would come back. When I installed the 1700X, that message was gone and I could overclock with Ryzen Master.

Well after about 5 days on my 1700 @ 3.8GHZ 1.25/1.2 (can't remember, at work now)... Haven't attempted much higher than that. But I have enjoyed playing Ghost Recon Wildlands and League of Legends mostly. I do noticed some frame drops in League... not noticeable to me, must be the GSync. I see it via Afterburners OSD. Ghost Recon seems mostly the same. However didn't pay attention to my frame rates on my 6700K @ 4.5ghz. I can set that back up this weekend and see how it runs in comparison. My issue is mainly my ram not wanting to clock any higher than 2400Mhz. Might need to snag some of the ram with the samsung-b chips on them based on everyone's results I've been seeing.

It feels smoother, I don't really notice hiccups watching streams and playing video games on the Ryzen; however I have not been on the hunt for issues and been playing video games. I play in 1440p and plan on getting a 1080Ti so I'm not terribly worried about having a cpu bottleneck. However, Ryzen is having growing pains via ram and motherboards. In the next few weeks I would imagine selling one of my sets of hardware, but as of right now I am not sure what one to dump just yet...

I would say I'm mostly frustrated. The boards I want are perpetually out of stock, and I've had mixed results with the boards I have managed to get my hands on. I'm fairly happy with the Gigabyte Gaming 3. It actually runs my memory at 3200 MHz, which it seems not everyone is able to achieve. I'm pretty unhappy with the Asrock Fatal1ty AB350. It won't boot reliably. In fact, after updating to the latest beta BIOS I can't get it to boot at all (it booted up once, so it wasn't a failed flash, but now I can't get it to do it again). I really want to get an X370 board, but the Asus I managed to find summarily died.

In terms of OC results, I'm thinking that some of the discrepancy in results is due to how people test for stability. I just passed 1 hour of real bench stress test at 3.9 GHz, 1.375v. At that voltage at even 3.8 GHz, my computer will shut off in less than ten minutes under Prime. In fact, even at 3.7 GHz with 1.3v I had it shut down in Prime after about 6-7 hours (as previously mentioned, I need to verify it's not a PSU or board problem). So, is my chip "stable" at 3.9 GHz, or "unstable"? The answer is: it depends.

This is one thing to watch out for with the numbers from Silicon Lottery, especially if you are actually considering buying from them. They rate stability based on one hour in Real Bench. By their standards my chip is actually a pretty decent 1700 at 3.9 GHz since it's only using 1.375v vs up to 1.408V for the ones they sell. However, when you get down to it, it's still not 100% absolutely stable since it fails in Prime. (I guess in recent years people have moved away from judging stability based on running Prime for hours on end, but I'm still a bit old school and don't like to give it up. :) )

Yesterday I was testing 2 vs 4 memory stick settings. Dual rank memory will be faster and I feel like this platform can actually use more ranks. Problem is different. 4 memory sticks could barely boot at 2666, after pushing it some more board made auto BIOS recovery. 2 sticks run stable at 3200 without issues as I said couple of times earlier in this thread. At the end performance of dual rank memory will be lower than single rank at higher frequency. It's 2400 vs 3200 in my case but I had no chance to test 2 dual rank sticks as all I have free are 4 single rank sticks.
Next thing is that Gigabyte AB350-Gaming is assuming that user is stupid and is forcing default memory settings when it finds 4 memory sticks ... so DDR4-1866 ( it feels like underclocking ). To make it boot at 2400+ I had to make doube BIOS save.

Since the RAM doesn't get hot, I wouldn't worry about heatspreaders, they're mostly just to make the RAM look cool and often interfere with CPU HS/Fans.

SNIP: it looks cheesy as hell with the stickers. It screams "hey, this ram doesn't need heat spreaders, but rather than give you plain ram, which is fine, we are gonna put a Dora sticker on it and make you feel all cheep and snazzy at the same time!"

Would've been better just to leave the sticker off. I'd pull em off, but the label is affixed to one of the stickers, so I think that would be a bad idea warranty wise [emoji14]

SNIP: it looks cheesy as hell with the stickers. It screams "hey, this ram doesn't need heat spreaders, but rather than give you plain ram, which is fine, we are gonna put a Dora sticker on it and make you feel all cheep and snazzy at the same time!"

Yeah but that's the reason for most heatspreaders also. Those tall spikey ones are just lame screaming: "hey look at me". They aren't normally necessary and some can make the RAM run even hotter.

Next thing is that Gigabyte AB350-Gaming is assuming that user is stupid and is forcing default memory settings when it finds 4 memory sticks ... so DDR4-1866 ( it feels like underclocking ). To make it boot at 2400+ I had to make doube BIOS save.

I can't remember which Asus board I was using when I tried 4 sticks, but I had initial boot at 1866 too. It went on to 2666 without sweat though.

Back