• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Announces Z87 Motherboard Lineup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There's the rest of the lineup we couldn't say anything about. I was wondering when they were going to announce them. The Impact is exciting to me - an mITX board with many of the ROG features? It'll be a gold mine for them from gamer LAN boxes and SFF builders alike.

The one we saw was an early ES version; this one looks much prettier. :)

They are bringing the armor to the ROG line? ASUS, seriously, don't mix smoke and mirrors with your good stuff...

It actually looks good in person. Not that I'm a fan of it, but it does look good, FWIW. Gamers are the target market for the Formula, always have been.

In a wonderful change, the water cooling part of the Formula now has G1/4 threads instead of built-in 3/8 barbs nobody will use.

Itx. Thank you Asus. I'll take that Lol. But it's so cramped on that thing. Looks don't matter to me for my next case is fully enclosed no window. I doubt I'll use the mpcie combo at all. I don't on my gene V. Price difference between the I deluxe and the impact will determine which I get.

ASUS must be including that armor for some reason on the ROG because their boards have been selling very well in the past without it, and it doesn't make much sense to add an unnecessary component that essentially cuts your profit margin.:(

Maybe it just makes a good dust barrier?
Heck, ASUS didn't even put that jacket on to cover the X79 Sabertooth, where only the I/0 area has a jacket.:shrug:

The other "gamer" z87 boards look very compelling and they might have felt pressure to bring something new to the line (feature wise)
If the armor is popular, it could have been the least expensive option available to minimizing profit loss and maximize sales. At least in their assessment.
Or maybe they felt like trying to take market share away from their competitors at the cost of their profitability.
There are many possible reasons that can be speculated outside of a possible performance gain to the end user

Profit loss? They are a for profit company. I would imagine the cost of that 'armor' is already included in the the price, no? I mean what business goes... "meh, let's xxx xxxxx xxxx.... for free"? I'd rather pay $10 less for the same board without it (armed with the current knowledge we have about what it does)...On that note, who knows what it actually does or doesn't do? Can anyone find some testing on this iteration? I read some reviews about the X58 or something and temps were around the same... making it, to me, an aesthetic type issue (to which I dont like the look myself).

Sure, the Armor could potentially already be included in all of their motherboard costs, I have no clue how they cost model their motherboard business.
I guess that's the problem, we don't know what Asus considers a "cost" or how those costs are bucketed out across their product lines/business.
It is way more complex than adding cost A to unit B, while maintaining price point C = less profit

I guess my point was even if that simplistic model were true, it would still be impossible to speculate as to the exact reason why they did it

lol, I like to take the long way around

In a wonderful change, the water cooling part of the Formula now has G1/4 threads instead of built-in 3/8 barbs nobody will use.
Hey now, I run 3/8"! :D I want that dual air/water heatsink on the Gene!

Also, seriously, when can we expect to start ordering these? I've seen a couple of Z87 boards in stock, but not any of the ROGs!

Last edited:
Hokie, when will this dang board reviews be out, so I can read and decide which to buy?

I was reading about the Giga Z87-OC (non force version) earlier, and it's looking nicer and nicer. I won't need a laptop to raise clocks from in windows, that board will be way easier to insulate, and it's only $200!

The only thing keeping me from buying it already is my desire to see the LN2 results from the OCF and the Maximus boards.

Not sure, hopefully next week, but without cold results. Not sure when I'll be able to make it to airgas.

What a fantastic way to raise your mobo's operating temps 5c...

Good job, ASUS... lol.

Back