• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P9 X79 Pro - Help with SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would look to try keep the Temps under 85c when testing with P95 on your hottest core, as you can see. When Web Browsing and Games the Temps are lower overall.

You could reach about 4.7ghz depending on your cooling and how it stands up to the heat!! But 4.4 or 4.6 is a good everyday OC and looking at your Voltage your doing just great so far. Sometimes that little extra 100hz is not really worth all the effort, yep 4.6 fully stable would be really good!!

Well done AJ.

If I can get it running at 4.6 I will be happy :)
Btw do you have "Turbo Mode" turned on in BIOS?

Another thing...my speed appears correct on CPUZ but on other programs it has different readings. Is that normal?

EDIT:
Think I found the reason for different readings. Seems some programs only read the base clock and dont account for the multiplier :screwy:

Last edited:
Make sure you have Disabled the "INTEL SPEED STEP" in the Bios as sometimes it can come back on again!! The reason why i have asked you to save the OC in steps and saved them in the Bios Profiles is simple. When you just Web Browsing you can choose your level of OC, then if you want to play a GAME!! Which needs some extra help from the CPU you can increase the OC, and because all these have been tested you should not have any problems. If so its just going to be a very small adjustment or tweak to the set up.

AJ.

Yea im saving each step in a different profile, definitely helpful to have a few stable settings saved :)

Btw I have disabled "INTEL SPEED STEP" but what about "TURBO MODE" should I turn that off too?
The description says "It allows CPU to run at faster frequencies if its running below CPUs spec frequencies, voltage, temp etc"

Turbo should always be turned on!! So how are you getting on with your PC?? Is it what you where looking for in performance etc.

EDIT: Hey are you asleep buddy!!

AJ.

Last edited:
Yea its going great thanks to all the help I been getting here :thup:
Everything is super smooth. Im running at 4.6 now....I ran P95 for about 20mins this morning. Temps hit about 75 on the hottest core.
I will run it for longer when I can. Its also way quieter than my old pc....even though this actually has more fans lol

One more thing, this is quite off topic. But have you ever shipped your PC abroad?
Because I think I will be leaving the country for a few years and I need to ship this half way across the world :-/
Will most likely be using air-mail (not actual ship)
Really dont want it arriving with all the components broken off...

Before you do that, what is the Mains Voltage going to be first!! Then try looking around for someone who does overseas shipping including boxing up items ect!!

As for your OC i would keep it running @ 4.6 if the Vcore is low and OK! If it ran for 20mins then it looks fairly stable, yep you could test it some more if you want to.

Looking at what you have now maybe 4.8 will be about Max for you, but i will say you will not see any improvement for the extra 200hz. Unless you where Benchmarking like me on the HWbot, so make sure that 4.6 is rock solid and use that for your everyday setting. As we have talked about you have all your other settings save, so JOB DONE AS THEY SAY, well done you.

Happy New Year,

AJ.

You too mate Happy new year!! :D
Btw im going to Srilanka, and according to this: http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/mains.htm
The voltage there is 230/240v

EDIT:

Also I will be more than happy with a solid 4.6
As you said the extra 200hz wont be seen, so probably not worth the extra temps for me.

Well i do not know how stable the supply is so maybe you look for a good secondhand UPS Device!!! Just in case they get Brown outs or black outs it would go some way to protect your PC if the power where to fail when your on line!!

Just a idea i had one it saves your PC from constant crashes which can do damage.

AJ.

What would a UPS device have to do with the voltage change he will experience? :shrug:

ost PSUs either do it internally automatically or have a switch. Look up the PSU and see what it has support for. :thup:

He is moving from the UK to Sri Lanka ED, so i was talking to him about a UPS Device as i am not sure the power there is fully stable!!!

When i visited my Wife's country they had regular power outs, which i noted they had UP'S on the floor next to there WALL SOCKETS close to there PC.

EDIT: Its 230v @ 50hz.

Last edited:
Thats actually a very good idea! Power there is not nearly as stable as UK from what I remember.
I have never used one before.....do you plug it into the mains then plug the USP into the computers PSU?

I will try to find a cheap one, because power cuts will become standard all around the world before long with the way things are going.

Hope I can sort out a good ISP there. It seems the most they have is less than 30Mbps atm and most of them have data limits.

You would need to match the input and output AC voltages plus the hz which can be 50/60 hz as standard. But its the power draw in amps that you have to get right plus a bit extra, i warn you these do not come cheap for the good ones.

But yes its good idea, but its up to you if you want to pay the money, but you could look on Ebay for second hand stuff.

Sorry i plum forgot to say how it works, yes you plug the UP'S into the wall socket, then you plug your PSU Power Supply into the UP's device. In the UP's device there is like a small battery that slowly powers down, this give you time to safely switch off you PC and power down all you parts. And that is how it works basically it just give you time to switch off everything.

AJ.

Last edited:
So I gotta find a 850W USP with 240v input & output?
And how do I work out power draw in amps....

Last edited:
In Poland we also have 230-240V and any regular PSU is working fine. Lately I got OCZ 750W Fatal1ty PSU designed for US market and is working fine too. Actually the only difference in the box is power cord.

Exactly. Like I said above, most automatically switch or have a switch for this purpose. Check the MFG website on your PSU and see if it does. There shouldn't be any amperage matching garbage involved. Do not make it more complicated than it needs to be.

I think we are talking about 2 different things, the OP and i was talking about power black outs or outages. You are talking about PSU's and what you and Woomack are saying is correct, but what if you have not got any Mains Power? And it suddenly goes off or dies it will effect. The PC you are trying to use and will do some damage as well, hence the chat about a UPS Device from the wall socket before his PSU giving him time to safely power down.

I hope now understand and get the picture of what we are saying ED!! :shrug: ;)

AJ.

Then UPS is needed as it was already said ;) ... but good UPS ~1kW+ cost a lot

Yeah, 2 different things, no doubt. The OP never asked about blackouts until you chimed in about them and getting a UPS. It is a good idea, true. But I don't get the conversion thing at all. I have never matched anything on a UPS before personally. Just the wattage really. For example, look at the specifications on this unit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070. Notice how it shows run times with monitors etc... that is (part of) the reason you want a higher wattage and capacity (vA on the battery).

Why is there any need for conversion Ajay? I am not understanding...

EDIT: Here is a guide on how to buy a UPS. Notice how there isn't any math there about converting this that and the other thing? It just says -
What is the voltage of the equipment you're supporting?

In North America, the voltage used to power servers and networking equipment is typically 120V or 208/240V.

Europe and Asia typically provide 230V power.

Be sure that the UPS input plug matches the receptacles of your input power source.

Last edited:
Back