• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P9 X79 Pro - Help with SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MUCH better. :)

Now just test load temps with a stress testing application and you are good to go! :)

Sweet :) I will try that out tomorrow...is Intel burn test ok? Or would you recoment a different one?

Btw the reason I wanted to disable core-parking was farcry3. Now I see people on youtube with my graphics card maxing out this game and playing on "ultra" at much higer resolutions than 1080p which is what I play at. And I see them get like 80fps

But when I play even at high I get stuttering. Im not really sure if this is just a driver issue. But im sure it should run smoother. Because I remember my old 480s manage to run this on high when the game first came out.

AIDA64, Prime95 Small FFT... IBT is massive overkill.

Core parking is a sleep state (C6 iirc). I vaguely recall this improving things on AMD CPUs, not intel though? But really do not have a clue, LOL!

ok thanks. Btw do you know any free uninstall tools? That gets rid the programs leftover registries as you uninstall it?

I was using ccleaner but im prety that gets rid of more than I want. I uninstalled something then ran the registry cleaner which turned one of my other application icons into those generic unknown file icons in windows.

I dont use programs like that ever. I use the uninstall programs from windows with zero problems. For reasons like you listed and worse is why I do not touch those programs. Some swear by them, others like me, not so much.

You have to set the number of workers now? I never had to do that. Must be in the new version or something?

Ok guys I ran P95...what is meant to happen? Basically I left it running for a few hours and came back. My PC had gone to sleep and when I woke it up the program was still running.

There are 2 text files named "results" and "local"
This is what I see in the results file:

[Sun Dec 22 12:31:24 2013]
Self-test 12K passed!
Self-test 12K passed!
Self-test 12K passed!
Self-test 12K passed!
Self-test 12K passed!
Self-test 12K passed!
Self-test 12K passed!
Self-test 12K passed!
[Sun Dec 22 12:47:04 2013]
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
[Sun Dec 22 15:38:33 2013]
Self-test 16K passed!
Self-test 16K passed!

Does this mean the test ran and completed?

AW! theres also a text file named "prime"
This is the content of that:

V24OptionsConverted=1
WGUID_version=2
StressTester=1
UsePrimenet=0
Left=90
Top=90
Right=1242
Bottom=686
W1=0 0 1132 251 0 -1 -1 -1 -1
W2=0 251 1132 502 0 -1 -1 -1 -1
MinTortureFFT=8
MaxTortureFFT=16
TortureMem=8
TortureTime=15

[PrimeNet]
Debug=0

If its say's it passed and no workers failed or dropped out then i would say yes its OK!! Also you ran the test for a long time, sometimes it will fail within 5 mins or 10mins. that usually means you need to add my Vcore by small steps at a time.

So what was the OC you where testing at the time??

EDIT: How was the Temps and everything else??

AJ.

Last edited:
I have not tried to overclock yet. Im not rly familliar with the BIOS, have not had the time to look over it. I only ran this on stock speed and the highest I saw in temp was 50°C the first core. All other cores remained in 40s

OK what you need to do now is Create a SIG so all the members can see your set up my friend. And in the meantime you can watch these 2 video's 2 or 3 times to get familiar with your bios and how it works. :thup:

This is part 1 and part 2 as well!!

When you feel comfortable with the Bios come back and we can start OCing you set up if you wish. :shrug: ;)

AJ.

Thanks for the links. This BIOS is great so many options but easy to use. I see it even has an auto overclock setting.

I wanted to ask you about the TPU switch on the board. Did you turn it on?
Think EarthDog said it also overclocks. Im a bit confused as to how they both overclock.

Is it just 2 options for overclocking? or can you use them together?

The best option is to manually OC through the Bios, and leave the TPU and the other switches alone. But i would humbly say that is your choice, i would ask you to read your Manual fully. Before you decide to alter anything, so if there is a problem you know how to fix it.

AJ.

TPU does it automatically, while the bios is manual. Preferred method is bios, but as ajay said, your choice.

Ok guys I have gone over the videos and read the manual. So do I start by changing the base clock & cpu strap? If so how much should I increase by to start with?

There are a few settings for CPU and DRAM, please let me know which ones I need to change and which to leave on auto.

I also see the guy chaning load-line calibration for CPU & VCCSA. Should I do this?

I have a basic understanding of these optons but I want to be sure the settings are safe before I try anything :)

Im still not sure how I have left out the molex labled "led strip" but the strip still lights up. Just not in the way I seen in seen on youtube.

the lead coming off the led light controller marked led strip is for you to plug in an after market light strip. to power itthats the one marked 12v there are also like 6 2 pin wires that allow you to control the lights on your fans if they are controllable in this way. I have the enthoo primo case and luckily for me I have bitfenix fans which have a secondary 2 pin wire for controlling the leds.

LLC adjustment is good almost only while OC. If you want to set higher clock then ( at least for me ) best on ASUS boards is high LLC. High LLC is usually keeping about as high voltage under load as you set in BIOS. Extreme is usually bumping it above values that you set manually. It's of course safe but not really required for light OC.
Best is to OC using CPU ratio as higher bclk usually needs higher voltages and is harder to stabilize while effective performance is about the same.
CPU strap is needed only if you set 125+ or 167+ bclk but I recommend to try max clock at 100bclk and higher CPU ratio before you start to play with straps and higher bclk.

the lead coming off the led light controller marked led strip is for you to plug in an after market light strip. to power itthats the one marked 12v there are also like 6 2 pin wires that allow you to control the lights on your fans if they are controllable in this way. I have the enthoo primo case and luckily for me I have bitfenix fans which have a secondary 2 pin wire for controlling the leds.

Oh nice, btw I also got bitfenix fans which I hooked up to the controls :)
It all works fine and works with the light on/off switch.

But can you confirm how the LED strip light up please?
In a video by Phantek I saw it lights up slowly, starting at the ground.
But mine just turns on instantly, same as the fan LEDs.

LLC adjustment is good almost only while OC. If you want to set higher clock then ( at least for me ) best on ASUS boards is high LLC. High LLC is usually keeping about as high voltage under load as you set in BIOS. Extreme is usually bumping it above values that you set manually. It's of course safe but not really required for light OC.
Best is to OC using CPU ratio as higher bclk usually needs higher voltages and is harder to stabilize while effective performance is about the same.
CPU strap is needed only if you set 125+ or 167+ bclk but I recommend to try max clock at 100bclk and higher CPU ratio before you start to play with straps and higher bclk.

OK thanks. Can you give me some safe test values for CPU ratio please?
I have never overclocked before and im still learning this BIOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would try for 42 on the Multiplyer and leave the Bclk @ 100 and then set your ram speed manually i.e. if its 1600 then set it to that. Also set your Ram Voltage as to what it say's on the box or Ram Sticks 1.50v or 1.65v. As for your Vcore voltage try 1.275v in manual not Off set, and see if it will boot into windows!!

Come back to us with the results and yes set your LLC to HIGH and DISABLE Intel Speed Step. And all your CStates Disable them as well.

AJ.

Last edited:
Back