• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P9 X79 Pro - Help with SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its really great to hear you have it up and working, yes i would phone them where you purchased the GPU! And tell them what's wrong with the card and see if you can get a RMA number to return it. Before the time limit expires on the return.

EDIT: What was the Bios number now you have it working, what does it show you???

Last edited:
Aw man! wish I checked that before packing up the card :(
When it booted up it basically said, "could not find boot device" or something
Because I only had an empty hard disk and the optical drive hooked up

Atleast we know we can get it to work now. Even if we had to flash BIOS.
I will tell you the BIOS version when I boot up again :thup:

Well i have to go now will see you later, try not to get upset too much lol!!

AJ.

Did you bother to check the card before you packed it up and RMAd the thing? For example, is there perhaps a fan wire hitting the blades? Be sure you give it your due diligence before you send it off...I can't believe we are so quick to tell people to pack stuff up and return it!

Anyway, glad it worked out!

I don't know the law or the rules ED in USA, but here in the UK some have a 7 day return policy others 14 days. So depending when On_Point purchased the GPU he could run out of time. Yep the next question and i see it coming did you ask him??

But what are the rules over there ED for returns??

AJ.

The rules depend on the vendor here as well.

For example, Newegg is 30 days to return to them for most items. Past that, you return a faulty card to the manufacturer. So, I am not sure why the rush when it just takes a bit of time to check before sending it off.

I think he has had a rough ride so far and a bit tired out, so maybe rather than take a chance ED he is playing SAFE!

Yes your right, but its his choice we can only help.

Last edited:
I hear that, however, it easier to move a wire to stop a noise than to RMA because of a wire, ya know? Just saying, like in life, do your due diligence first.

Ok guys you were both right!
The BIOS was up to date so I had no problem starting up.
And the fan rattle was actually a wire.

Now I have it up and running but I get the feeling I may have wired it up in some odd way lol

Basically I did not have to connect anything to the molex labled "LED Strip"
But the Strip does light up and I can control it with the LED Strip button

The thing is in the video I saw that its should turn on slowly, but mine just lights up at once.
I gave power to some molex that was labled "1.2v input" - Not really sure what that was because I did not see it mentioned in any videos

People just mentioned the molex for the LED strip and one for the Fan Controller

If you guys know what this might be, let me know. But its not the end of the world.

Here are some pic btw :)

Attachments

• IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 44
Nice to see it all light up and working, HOW does he do it i mean ED a fan wire lol!! Well its on to the next stage setting up everything and checking things out!!

AJ.

Its just logic Ajay...using that large round thing that rests on my shoulders. I mean if you hear whistling from your Kitchen and your wife isn't in there, wouldn't it be logical to think she is making tea in a tea pot? It is simply using the information you have to theorize a resolution. Now, it could have been ANYTHING, no doubt, and I got lucky, but a ticking from a card when it is only on, the first and easiest thing to check would be a something hitting the fan. ;)

Lol yea that was crazy. Was one of the card wires too hidden inside the heatsink, thats why I didnt spot it.

Im still not sure how I have left out the molex labled "led strip" but the strip still lights up. Just not in the way I seen in seen on youtube.

I actually asked Phantek about supplying power to the fancontroller when it first failed to boot. But still no reply, otherwise I would bother to ask them about how the strip is lighting and what this and the "1.2v input" molex was for.

Also you have to provide them all your details to even ask a question! Impressed with thier product but not with their customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Ajay....I was wondering do you use this boards EPU and TPU functions? Do they actually improve how the PC runs? I have never had these options before.

Also have you overclocked your CPU using this BIOS at all?

This BIOS is so different that what im use to. All my old pcs have had standard blue back ground BIOS with 2 columns.

This BIOS looks way better but im a bit unfamilliar with the setup.

Not sure what you mean by "improve how it runs". TPU is automatic overclocking IIRC, while EPU is for power savings. Clearly the power savings feature will not 'improve how the PC runs' as it lowers the voltages and such while idle to save power. The TPU function is auto overclocking so it can improve performance.

As far as the bios, Ajay should be able to help you out there since he owns the board and, if you look at his signature, he clearly overclocks. We see how far he can get ya.. ;)

Yea I meant TPU in regards to performance. And I noticed he had the same board thats why I asked if he overclocked with BIOS.

I may use TPU but im a little worried about overcloocking now because my CPU temps are idling at around 60°C now

This maybe because I put another fan on the radiator today for a push/pull config today before turning it on. I have to take it out and test to see if thats what added the extra temp.

But im sure yesterday the temps were lower.

LOL, your CPU should not idle at 60C.. Where are you getting that value from? Realtemp or Coretemp in Windows are a couple of applications to use...

Putting an additional fan on it, assuming you put it on the right way will cause LOWER temps not higher..

I realise putting an additional fan "should" lower the temps....thats obviously why I put it in the first palce lol

Im using an app called "SpeedFan"

I also messed around with core parking yesterday and disabled core parking in "high performace" mode.
But currently I have it on "balanced mode" where I changed no settings.

Get rid of speedfan, it is usually garbage. What does Real/Coretemp say?

Core Parking? Dont use that. Keep em all active.

EDIT: I have to say, for your sake and our sanity helping you, to please refrain from messing with settings until we get things up and running and stable. You can then save a profile and mess with settings to your heart's content. We are 77 posts deep in this thread with no end in site and fiddling with things you do not know about will not help wrap this up quickly. :)

Ok I got real temp, and this is what it looks like:
Readings seem alot different than speed fan lol

Attachments

• Realtemp.jpg
    Realtemp.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 60
Back