• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, Amd FX-9590, HyperX FURY RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cld

Registered
So i made a thread about this same build a few months ago, here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...rtooth-990FX-R2-0-Amd-FX-9590-Freeze-Unstable

I have some seemingly RAM stability issues (deadlocks or random bsods), in the previous thread while i was coping with some other problems i underclocked the ram from 1866MHz to 1333MHz, which greatly improved the stability.
Now i have some time to fix some things so i defaulted the ram speed to 1866mhz, it deadlocks within 20 minutes, and sometimes doesn't even make it through the booting.

I increased the voltage from 1.5 to 1.55, and set the command rate to 2T which seems to help a great deal, and its significantly more stable now.

However its still bsods every now and then, (maybe twice a day?)

I checked the exception code and the stack-traces from the bsod memory dumps and they are seemingly random, which pretty much indicates a ram problem.

Exact ram is: Kingston Technology FURY Red 8GB 1866MHz DDR3 HX318C10FR/8

Tp1Xt6f.png Rv7B1jn.png
rVyfBrP.png kIx1XZw.png

(I also bought a Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IV for my 290X because i was stupid enough to think the reference model "wouldn't be that bad" :rofl: )

Try running 1.65V for the RAM, that's still within safe spec as many modules ship with that as the default voltage.

Thanks,

I changed it and i'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Let us...

...us know if the increased voltage helps. I run most of my GSkill ram undervolted for the speed I actually run the ram at. However the Kingston ram has for the last 2/3s of a year have been giving problems for a goodly number of users. So let us know if the increased ram voltage is a cure. If not I see a couple of things I would change but not worth it to change this and that until you see what fixes or does not.
RGone...ster.

HyperX doesn't play well with these cpu's. The only way I could use my hyperX was by downclocking it significantly, around 1400mhz iirc.

So i made a thread about this same build a few months ago, here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...rtooth-990FX-R2-0-Amd-FX-9590-Freeze-Unstable

I have some seemingly RAM stability issues (deadlocks or random bsods), in the previous thread while i was coping with some other problems i underclocked the ram from 1866MHz to 1333MHz, which greatly improved the stability.
Now i have some time to fix some things so i defaulted the ram speed to 1866mhz, it deadlocks within 20 minutes, and sometimes doesn't even make it through the booting.

I increased the voltage from 1.5 to 1.55, and set the command rate to 2T which seems to help a great deal, and its significantly more stable now.

However its still bsods every now and then, (maybe twice a day?)

I checked the exception code and the stack-traces from the bsod memory dumps and they are seemingly random, which pretty much indicates a ram problem.

Exact ram is: Kingston Technology FURY Red 8GB 1866MHz DDR3 HX318C10FR/8

Tp1Xt6f.png Rv7B1jn.png
rVyfBrP.png kIx1XZw.png

(I also bought a Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IV for my 290X because i was stupid enough to think the reference model "wouldn't be that bad" :rofl: )

Were thes sticks bought as a set or individually. I ask because of the differing serial #s and production dates. Typically sets have the same # but differing by one digit like 3746 and 3747.

OK Thanks Bob I just thought I'd clear that up.

Never even noticed until you mentioned it haha. These hyper kits are weird animals on the amd side of the house. Didn't have matter how loose the timings were, how much voltage I pit in, only downclocking the ram significantly made it usable. Even 100% stock it was odd at times. So glad I got my gskill ram in now

Back when TCCD DDR2 ram was big and all were scrambling around to make up kits of this or that...well Kingston in an interview with one of their big-wigs made the statement that they did not care about anything but if the two sticks seemed to test out the same. They were not going to make a real effort to ensure the sticks were actually made up the same. That was the last time I had any intention to use Kingston ram and if you have been at this a while...well you know how long ago was the TCCD ram thing.
RGone...ster.

So it hasn't deadlocked yet since i upped the voltage to 1.65. It seems to help.

I bought the sticks as a set, idk why the production date is a few weeks off.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Hi guys, I am planning of buying this ram except that I want two 4gb modules 1866mhz. I have the same motherboard asus sabertooth 990fx/r2.0 and fx 8350 oc-ed to 4,5ghz. I run across internet that this particular setup (cpu and mobo) have some issues runing this ram at 1866mhz so my question is does it work or not on 1866mhz? I hope that author of this thread will respond because he had issues, I hope that he does not have issues with this ram anymore runing it at 1866 and for all others there with the knowledge regarding this potentially problem. You've helped me alot in the past with oc-ing my cpu so I hope you will help me again.:)

I would suggest G.Skill personally, seems to have the least amount of issues with the FX in general.

I would suggest G.Skill personally, seems to have the least amount of issues with the FX in general.

There is nowhere in my country to buy that ram, there is a geil but I do not think that is the same ram or is it?

While its fairly stable right now, I've seen other people with likewise problems who din't manage to fix it.

I guess if you have the exact same Mobo Ram combination its likely to work for you too. But officially it isn't supported.

Unless you have some crazy deal going on you might as well just buy a different brand of ram since the price difference is only a few euro's/dollars.

While its fairly stable right now, I've seen other people with likewise problems who din't manage to fix it.

I guess if you have the exact same Mobo Ram combination its likely to work for you too. But officially it isn't supported.

Unless you have some crazy deal going on you might as well just buy a different brand of ram since the price difference is only a few euro's/dollars.

Thanks for reply. I also set my eyes at patriot viper 3 black mamba but thing is that there is problem with all sorts of ram runing at 1866mhz on this board. People have same problem even with the g.skill, patriot, crucial and kingston. Most have resolved problem by manually set timings and raising voltage, others were not so lucky and had to down clock to 1600 or even to 1333.

I've run a set of Geil Evo's DDR3 1600's at 1866 with 9-10-9 timings on my Fx without issue.

Well we will see if it works or not when I buy ram. Now I think that patriot viper 3 black mamba is better then kingston hyperx fury because it has lower latency. What do you think guys?

Back