• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Company 2 - Retail Release - Smiley Grenade Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm looking to upgrade, possibly my graphics card because I believe that is the biggest detriment for me being able to achieve smooth framerates. I'm only looking to run around medium settings with 1680x1050, with no hiccups.

So far I have:

Intel E2180 CPU @ 3 ghz
Nvidia 8800GT
4 GB 800 mhz ram

I'd love to upgrade cpu and mobo, but thatd be fairly expensive if i went the i7 route, plus it might be overkill because I'm only looking to play this game for the future.

How would I fare with a video card upgrade, say an ATI Radeon 5770 or 5750?

Again, I don't need max, settings. Just medium at an average resolution. Would my cpu still be too outdated for BC2?

If you're just looking for medium setting I'll say you need a new CPU.

meh there are plenty of games that dont treat you like a criminal. im not going to be taken advantage of just to play a video game. have fun being used. civilization hasnt tried to abuse me yet and part V is coming out. thats another
do you really have 10 computers that you want to have it installed on?

yes i have 10 i wish to install it on between now and when i die. played mike tysons punchout on my tenth nes recently and installled diablo two for the unknownth time within the last year

I'm looking to upgrade, possibly my graphics card because I believe that is the biggest detriment for me being able to achieve smooth framerates. I'm only looking to run around medium settings with 1680x1050, with no hiccups.

So far I have:

Intel E2180 CPU @ 3 ghz
Nvidia 8800GT
4 GB 800 mhz ram

I'd love to upgrade cpu and mobo, but thatd be fairly expensive if i went the i7 route, plus it might be overkill because I'm only looking to play this game for the future.

How would I fare with a video card upgrade, say an ATI Radeon 5770 or 5750?

Again, I don't need max, settings. Just medium at an average resolution. Would my cpu still be too outdated for BC2?
This game REALLY likes quad cores. To give you an example, my brother with his Q6600 @ 2.4GHz and 8800GTS ran quite a bit better than my E6600 @ 3.0 GHz and HD 4870. This was, however, before the patch that improved dual-core performance, so I'm not sure how it compares now, but the game still runs much better on a quad-core. (I have since upgraded to an i5 and HD5870 and it runs great. :))

It's hard to say which upgrade would give you more performance, I'm afraid upgrading only your video card might mean your processor holds your card back, especially in this game, but I can't really be sure. I guess you could always upgrade your video card and try it and if it doesn't perform to your liking, you could drop in a quad-core. Hope this helps! :)

Server Files Updated

We have just distributed a new server version named R7 to the server hosts. Early signs from the hosts are good with 20% less load on the server CPU, improved hit detection, Veteran rank handling is fixed so you should get your M1 Garand back now plus some other fixes to better help the server hosting companies and better management of Punkbuster IDs."

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53828/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2-PC-Server-Files-Updated

To rainless, benf and whoever else was trying to argue with me that I need to "learn to aim" heres a damage chart showing how stupid the weapon damage is on normal mode and how many hits it takes to kill someone.

"learn to aim" doesnt help when it takes that many shots to kill someone, so heres the PROOF I was talking about, it has NOTHING to do with aiming

Also, we frown saying things that arent true, such as the post below.

-edit-

I looked up some of the stats for the different assault rifles in regular mode. Even at range none of them take more than 8 hits. If you aren't downing them in less than 10 hits then you aren't aiming at them well.

Last edited:
The amount of hits + server hit registration can be horrible in normal. This is not some crap people are making up.

I unloaded several rounds close range to someone even in HC today, and he said I didn't even hit him. This is both of is standing still shooting.

Made rank 25 today , unlocked every weapon in the game...

Now what? Guess I'll just work my way up to 50, but at a more casual pace. I am averaging 6000 points a round. Also got my 5th gold star on my knife :D

Made rank 25 today , unlocked every weapon in the game...

Now what? Guess I'll just work my way up to 50, but at a more casual pace. I am averaging 6000 points a round. Also got my 5th gold star on my knife :D

Get some platinum stars (10th gold star). I just got my 2nd tonight.

To rainless, benf and whoever else was trying to argue with me that I need to "learn to aim" heres a damage chart showing how stupid the weapon damage is on normal mode and how many hits it takes to kill someone.

"learn to aim" doesnt help when it takes that many shots to kill someone, so heres the PROOF I was talking about, it has NOTHING to do with aiming

Also, we frown saying things that arent true, such as the post below.

Unh-Hunh... And what makes your little chart any truer than what he said?

So somebody came up with a chart... big deal.

Doesn't make it TRUE.

-----------------------------------------

As a side note... I just played a 14,800 point game (Normal Mode FTW!) with no 10,000 point award.

I got some sort of Nemisis/Payback pin twice and a gang of other awards. (I was being ALL I COULD BE... ALL of it!)

@Wraith: Yeah... Give that AIMING thing a shot.

I just got... I don't even know how many kills with the MG3. Mostly head shots. Never took more than three bullets. NEVER.

But don't worry: I'll draw you up a new chart! :D :beer:

Rainless, I know you're full of it because I was just using the mg3 and it takes WAY more than 3 shots even point blank to kill someone, even on hardcore 3 shots is a stretch. Oh wait, you just alway get headshots 100% of the time, I forgot! Everyones wrong guys, rainless is right, might as well not bother with this one....

You know, If you're going to lie rainless at least do it well, the mg3 does next to no damage due to the rof, check the damage charts if you don't believe mine.

EDIT: I'm home now so I can provide more FACTS, so check out the chart below. These are cold hard numbers that I and anyone else can confirm in game. Perhaps rainless is playing the wrong game, or maybe you're ACTUALLY playing hardcore? I cant think of anything else but that or you're just blatantly lying.

http://www.joinaclan.com/?p=356

@Wraith: Yeah... Give that AIMING thing a shot.

I just got... I don't even know how many kills with the MG3. Mostly head shots. Never took more than three bullets. NEVER.

@rainless: Yeah...Try giving that 'not being full of it' thing a shot.

But don't worry: I'll draw you up a new chart! :D :beer:

You go right ahead and do that, but how about you come back with some FACTS instead of your typical anecdotal evidence and snide comments hmmm?

Last edited:
When I first started playing, I was frustrated with the damage scheme of this game. However, I have come around and now am okay with it. I understand why they do it, it is to encourage squad play and to encourage actually sticking with your squad. It takes several shots to down an enemy so you will have the most success when you run around with a couple other players and focus on the same target rather than go lone wolf.

I don't play HC because it removes too many important team-work oriented elements (such as spotting and minimap) and turns into a solo camp-fest. Normal mode is the way the game was meant to be played and rewards teamwork the most, just like all Battlefield games in the past.

With the rate of fire of the guns, the fast reload time, they kills pretty fast in normal mode. You also switch to your other weapons insanely fast. So I can get maybe 2 kills with my UMP before reloading, 1 or 2 with the sidearm, and 1-2 with the Carl Gustav.

Rainless, I know you're full of it because I was just using the mg3 and it takes WAY more than 3 shots even point blank to kill someone, even on hardcore 3 shots is a stretch. Oh wait, you just alway get headshots 100% of the time, I forgot! Everyones wrong guys, rainless is right, might as well not bother with this one....

You're cute. Are you single by any chance? :p

On a more interesting note: There's nothing more awesome than killing the pilot of a helicopter with a sniper rifle. Especially standing on top of a building with the helicopter floating up exactly to your level as you pull the trigger...

Ah the joy!

Seems like everybody is playing Assault now as the last guy they have to unlock everything for. I can't quite figure it out myself. The assault guy is really just like the "Soldier" class in Killzone 2. Just some dude with a regular gun... and the MEDIC is the real heavy gunner...

Interesting stylistic choice.

You know, If you're going to lie rainless at least do it well, the mg3 does next to no damage due to the rof, check the damage charts if you don't believe mine.

EDIT: I'm home now so I can provide more FACTS, so check out the chart below. These are cold hard numbers that I and anyone else can confirm in game. Perhaps rainless is playing the wrong game, or maybe you're ACTUALLY playing hardcore? I cant think of anything else but that or you're just blatantly lying.

http://www.joinaclan.com/?p=356

@rainless: Yeah...Try giving that 'not being full of it' thing a shot.

You go right ahead and do that, but how about you come back with some FACTS instead of your typical anecdotal evidence and snide comments hmmm?
I believe the console versions have more damage on their weapons than the PC version because they can't aim as well with a controller as we can a mouse so they need to be able to kill faster.

Since Rainless is playing on PS3 (correct?) I can see that being the source of the argument. I agree with Wraith though, it definitely takes more than 3 shots to kill anyone unless it is a) a sniper rifle b) a knife c) rocket launcher/grenade launcher/grenade. Hell it takes at least 2-3 shots with an APC weapon.

I believe the console versions have more damage on their weapons than the PC version because they can't aim as well with a controller as we can a mouse so they need to be able to kill faster.

Since Rainless is playing on PS3 (correct?)

That is possible. It actually makes a hell of a lot of sense.

A lot of people don't really "get" that the console versions of these games play different because they are designed to be played with a controller. That's what I keep telling everybody who asks about a keyboard and mouse for the PS3 or 360. I had COD4 for the 360 and the PC and the two versions were not the same in terms of aiming and shooting.

So yeah... it wouldn't surprise me if it took fewer bullets to kill someone on the PS3 (and yes, that's the version I have.)

I don't play HC because it removes too many important team-work oriented elements (such as spotting and minimap) and turns into a solo camp-fest. Normal mode is the way the game was meant to be played and rewards teamwork the most, just like all Battlefield games in the past.

Normal encourages teamwork eh? Cept it makes medics mostly useless...as ya know...actual medics. Considering all you have to do is hide for 10 seconds for your health to regenerate.

The damage is so horrible I've been able to run circles around people in a room and knife them because I knew I'll survive it long enough to stab a few.

It takes around 30 seconds for your health to fully regenerate. I don't know how that makes medics useless, it's actually worse for hardcore as it's harder for you to find a dead guy to defib back to life.

Back