• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BAR UPDATE THREAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Went to the mailbox this afternoon, and there, waiting for me, was a shiny new 8800GT! Got it installed, and it was running really slow. Giving only about 1800ppd. In the process of stripping out drivers to try reinstalling, I messed up and removed the SATA-RAID drivers that Windows relies on to boot. UGH! Well, I got Windows reinstalled, and didn't lose any data, but my computer is a bit of a mess at the moment. BUT, thanks to you guys, (and gals?) I now have an 8800GT chugging along at ~3700ppd. Stock speeds so far. (I'm off to work for the next few days, so I won't even play with it until at least Sunday)

Now, if I could just get my 8600GT to play nicely, I'd be happy. But the two cards don't want to Fold at the same time. The 8600GT did nothing with the priority set to idle, and when I set it to "slightly higher" all it did was immediate EUEs.

Once again, thanks to the BAR donors. :)

Hey cw823,
The BAR donated GPU Gigabyte 8800GT arrived Today,

Although it was Well Packaged with ample Bubble Rap looks like it still got a bit knocked around During Transit (USA to Aust) and slight minor damage to the Cooling Heatsink and Fins

Hopefully when I test it Later the GPU will be Fine and work !
And the minor superficial damage with a little TLC will be fixed by me, and card will be FINE,

here are some Pics taken,

The Package

Gigabyte 8800GT

Bent Heatsink

Heatsink Fins Minor Damage (top view)

Heatsink Fins Minor Damage (side view)

Will let you Know how it turns out, hopefull its only Minor superficial Damage and the Card is OK, after testing,

Now just have to Think which PC to put it, Linux or the other PC has Diskless client in athe moment will need to put Windows OS,

TTYL

JS

I hope it's ok, I'd hate to think the $25 or so I saved using that envelope rendered it unusable.

I should have tucked foam between the heatsink and card, in hindsight. LMK when you get it hooked up.

I still have one more 8800GT and 8800GTS to send out. :beer:

Received mine yesterday. Got in installed and running today. Haven't overclocked it, yet.

I was really excited about this one in particular, because I knew it would have such a dramatic effect on your PPD. :beer:

I forgot to mention that the donor that donated 5 8800GT's? Actually donated EIGHT 8800GT's.

Proud to be a member of T32

I was really excited about this one in particular, because I knew it would have such a dramatic effect on your PPD. :beer:

Yeah, just about doubled it! Thanks!

I forgot to mention that the donor that donated 5 8800GT's? Actually donated EIGHT 8800GT's.

Proud to be a member of T32

THANKS!!! We appreciate it and i'm sure stanford does also!! :beer::beer::beer:

That's awesome! I hope more donations keep coming. And a big THANKS to cw823 for taking your time to help out our teammates. :beer: salute!

I hope it's ok, I'd hate to think the $25 or so I saved using that envelope rendered it unusable.

I should have tucked foam between the heatsink and card, in hindsight. LMK when you get it hooked up.

I still have one more 8800GT and 8800GTS to send out. :beer:

Fragile items need a hard box around them, then shipping noodles or bubble wrap, or both.

A soft envelope will risk crush damage when adjacent packages put pressure against the envelope. Bubble wrap will disperse that pressure, but can only help so much. A box will prevent such pressure against the item.

Fragile items need a hard box around them, then shipping noodles or bubble wrap, or both.

A soft envelope will risk crush damage when adjacent packages put pressure against the envelope. Bubble wrap will disperse that pressure, but can only help so much. A box will prevent such pressure against the item.

Since I covered 80% of the cost of shipping, next time I'll hit you up for the difference.

ouchie.. this is a good thread, let's not start knocking on each other here. This is a great program, and CW is doing a fabulous job in keeping it active, as compared to where it was before.

Hindsight is 20/20, he made what at the time seemed to be the apropriate decision on how to handle international shipping. Live and learn, and no harm done.

Well after a few Crashes here and there, with Drivers and Linux Its Now Installed under WinXP Pro SP3 and some TLC fixing the GPU Heatsink Fins all straight,

So here it is Installed in My Smooth-n-Fold Machine

Thanks Again CW and all involved in the BAR donations project, more PDD for Team32 and Science to help find a Cure.

Edit - Seems like it is Doing OK so far only had one WU , with problem - Nans detected @ 10% it deleted the WU and has continued,

Havent chnged any setting that the card came with except the Fan Speeed to 80% CPU is Running @ 700 - 1700 - 750.

Temps depending on WU are 44C - 65C.

Folding On!!.

Last edited:
dumb question, for the recipients of the donated cards, do they have to fold under a certain name or just T32 ?

Either way it doesn't matter, how do I get on the list ? My mobo has an extra PCI-E slot, it wont run sli but that doesn't matter because you don't use sli to fold :) its a p5q pro :)

dumb question, for the recipients of the donated cards, do they have to fold under a certain name or just T32 ?

Either way it doesn't matter, how do I get on the list ? My mobo has an extra PCI-E slot, it wont run sli but that doesn't matter because you don't use sli to fold :) its a p5q pro :)

You just Fold with your usual Folding ID Name + Team = 32

Donation of 8600GT. (I'll cover the shipping within the US, for other countries, we can work something out)

OK, it isn't much, but it will be sitting idle otherwise. I have an 8600GT that I'll be removing from my main rig in a couple of days. It's currently Folding and getting 800~1350ppd, depending on the WU. If someone has an 8600GT and would like another to run along side it, or if you want to run two different cards, then speak up. (This has been running alongside an 8800GT since the 190.xx drivers came out.)

This card is an MSI 8600GT, 32 shaders, does NOT require 6-pin power source, passive cooling (no fan, the cooling is on the TOP of the card when installed in a tower case, so unless your PCIe slots are far apart, it will not fit in the lower slot with a double width card - it pretty much takes up two spots above it.) It overclocks a little bit (shaders at 1242 from 1188)

You can see it in this pic, it's the card with the heat pipes. It's in a very big case, on a very big motherboard, so don't be deceived by the apparent size. That's my B.A.R. 8800GT (Thanks!) just above it.
dscf0092r992.jpg

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 09 13.37.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 09 13.37.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 8600GTstats.gif
    8600GTstats.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 237
:cry: WAAAH! The fan on my 8800GT that I received from the Build-A-Rig program has quit. It is difficult to turn, even by hand. My rig started locking up a couple of days ago, but seemed better if I turned off Folding on the 8800GT. Today, it locked up again, and when I went to check things, I noticed that the card was INCREDIBLY hot! (It was doing nothing but running my second monitor at the time - Folding was OFF!) So I pulled it out, and found that the fan is difficult to turn. PNY says that they no longer have any fans for this card.

So, does anyone out there have a cooler that will fit this thing? I'll probably be buying one if I can't find one here, but I figured I'd give it a try. Someone might have converted to watercooling and have their old cooler unit sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

I'm going to try to take it apart this evening and see if I can lubricate it.

EDIT: Well, I pulled the fan apart and put a little bit of 3-in-1 oil on the pivot. Spins freely now, so I've bought myself some time.

I noticed that Newegg doesn't have nearly the selection of graphics coolers that they used to. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what would be a decent one to put on this card?

Last edited:
Back