• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 2: Technicial Issues and Support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Patch is great

This game worked excellent for me before, although the menus did lag. With the patch everything works seamless! It runs perfect with all high settings except textures on both my machines. In order to bypass cd protection just D/L the game image and mount it using daemon tools. The image file is only a few kb.

pik4chu said:
dunno about EA but some games deem no-cd cracks as a banable offense because you are altering thier game (which you will find reference to in the EULA) So you might not want that here. due to limitations of discussions of hacking/cracking.

The other thread on these forums regarding the patch was closed I am guessing due to talk about a nocd crack. :rolleyes:

i like the new patch, the game fells smoother running, get much better ping, not getting kicked from servers as much for connection problems:)

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Glad I havn't updated the patch, gg EA!

I'm glad I installed the patch, the game is much better, especially the load times now, menu loading and time to get into the game is better. As far as some of you not seeing the low pings, I believe the patch is simply more accurately showing the true pings and before they were not accurately represented.(My opinion)
My system was almost a fresh format about a week ago and I can say without a doubt the patch is worth installing

IMHO, those that are deciding to not install the patch are making a mistake.

The patch introduced a bit of mouselag on my system. Kind of like 'mouse smoothing' has been enabled, but I can't seem to find such a setting in the options.

pik4chu said:
the Hz is just to keep the refresh rate high enough so you cant see it, as he said above if your much below 65 you can see the refreshing and it will give you a headache. So higher is better, but 144 makes no sense, absolutely no reason to go that high.

I know that. :) I only commented on his "144Hz puts huge stress on the videocard".

dreamtfk said:
I do use a no-cd patch and I though about that so I tried starting the game from the original .exe file with the dvd in the drive and I still crashed to my desktop.

Dream, go to your BF2 directory and do a search for defaultvideo.con file. Open it with notepad and I believe its the last line that says refreshrate 0. Change the 0 to a 1 and save. Then mark the file as read only. That happend with me in bf1942. It might work for you as well.

Silversinksam said:
I'm glad I installed the patch, the game is much better, especially the load times now, menu loading and time to get into the game is better. As far as some of you not seeing the low pings, I believe the patch is simply more accurately showing the true pings and before they were not accurately represented.(My opinion)
My system was almost a fresh format about a week ago and I can say without a doubt the patch is worth installing

IMHO, those that are deciding to not install the patch are making a mistake.

Same here the menus are much more responsive, and it seems like when you are in game you get less server lag.

What settings should I be able to run on my dell inspiron 9300, it has a m730 (1.6GHZ) 512 megs of ram and a 6800go, but I get a major framerate drop if I use anything other than the minimum settings, which seemed kind of wierd as I was able to run medium settings on my 9800pro, and both my laptop and desktop get about the same 3dmark scores, with my laptop actually getting slightly higher scores

Im currently running the 77.72 drivers

TheGreySpectre said:
What settings should I be able to run on my dell inspiron 9300, it has a m730 (1.6GHZ) 512 megs of ram and a 6800go, but I get a major framerate drop if I use anything other than the minimum settings, which seemed kind of wierd as I was able to run medium settings on my 9800pro, and both my laptop and desktop get about the same 3dmark scores, with my laptop actually getting slightly higher scores

Im currently running the 77.72 drivers
Well i would dare to say the 6800go is not going to be as well as a preformer as the 9800pro, but then again I have never used a 6800go.

Guess my thread got locked so I'll ask here.

Anyone know how to check your rankings?

A pm would be great!
Thanks

MRip said:
Anyone know how to check your rankings?

Thanks

Download this program "BF2 BATTLESTATS" HERE and it will tell you everything about anyone with the game . GREAT little program . ;)

I'm playing the game at 1600x1200/60 which is the default for my monitor. I followed the advice of the DriverHeaven link posted earlier in this thread. I have AA off, the two dynamics set to low, textures on high, everything else on medium.

Seems smooth unless I shake my mouse back and forth a few times. I'm buying more RAM.

*edit* I'm using an x800XL since my x850xtpe took a dive and I'm waiting for the RMA to get back. Thought I should mention that since my settings are lower than others with the xt's so I wouldn't confuse anyone.

Last edited:
I kept changing my settings to try and find the "sweet spot" of performance vs quality and I noticed that many times the game would not "optimize shaders" like it said it would. The result was gameplay that was no different than the original setting.

Then I found this:

Tipstaff said:
Little tweak I remember seeing (think it was off of TweakGuides).

Sometimes BF2 won't re-optimize shaders after changing display settings as it should. In order to force the game to optimize shaders again go into the "My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache" folder, and delete any subfolders in there. Then run BF2, and the game will re-optimize the shaders again.

Taken from here.

Worked like a charm, now, if I go change my video settings I quit the proggy, delete folders, and I'm off to fraggin'.

I need some help getting battlefield 2 runnign better on my friends computer. He got a 6600gt specificaly to play this game. No matter what I do he gets tons of graphics glitches and crashes. Sometiems it will run for 1min before crashing, othertimes it will be a few hours. By graphics glitches I mean things are obviously not beign rendered correctly, the ground disapeers sometimes, a big box will show up on the horizon, etc. All kinds of weird stuff. I don't understand why this is happening because I have zero problems on my 9700 pro. I've tried the old omega drivers, the drivers that came with the game, the latest on the nvidia site, as well as the latest betas I could find. Can somebody help me out?

Back