• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I need some feedback, total noob here!

This is my first pc build, and of course the first time i overclocked, i built this pc back in september 2011, and yesterday i overclocked it to 4.5 GHZ following this guide

Specs:

CPU: I5-2500K @4.5 GHZ
GPU: GTX 570 PNY
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4 Gb 1600 mhz
MOBO: GYGABYTE Z68X-UD4-B3
CPU COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO with Push/Pull (i added yesterday)
CASE: HAF X
Fans: 2 intake (front, side) 3 exhaust (1 rear, 2 top)
Boot Drive: Vertex 3 120 GB

I followed all the steps on this guide:

-I disabled EIST, C1 AND C5E (something like this), everything else on AUTO.
-I found out my ram was being read as 1300 mhz when it is 1600 mhz, so i changed that....
-Multiple Load "something" (its supposed to be LLC on my BIOS) changed to 5 (50%),
-DRAM Voltage was already on 1.5V (i just tuned off auto and set it manually)

Test and results:

I have only been changing and testing with CPU VCORE Voltage, i started at 1.350 as this guide mentions, and after 30 minutes of Prime95 blend test i stopped it because i realized the CPU VCORE voltage had reached at some point 1.75!! accourding to CPUID:

135voltage175vcore30min2.jpg

Then i resetted my pc and changed CPU VCORE voltage all the way down to 1.300, i ran again blend test for little more than 3 hours (i fell asleep), when i wake up, i stopped it again, because CPU VCORE had reached at some point 1.68! according to CPUID:

13voltage168vcore3hours.jpg

Then i reset again my pc and changed CPU VCORE voltage to 1.28 (i dont remember last digits...), i ran again the blend test for 5 minutes and stopped it because according to CPUID, my CPU temp had reached at some point 126C!:

128voltage5min.jpg

I stopped the blend test and closed CPUID, the open it again and everything was normal... so im running the test again now .... 2 hour 30 min so far, everything is fine... just dram voltage MAX is currently 1.63.. value is 1.51.... is this safe?

1.30 max CPU VCORE voltage according to CPUID and value is 1.28, Max core temp is 62C (core 2). CPU-Z says core voltage 1.284....

I stopped this test, dropped cpu vcore .10 again, to 1.275 i think. tried now the intel burn test and it failed: (NO BSOD or FREEZE)

intelburntest1128v.jpg

Should i raise the voltage?? my pc didnt froze or bsod....

So, can someone tell me whats going on?? is everything alright?? do i have faulty hardware?? is my hardware damaged?? can i reduce even more the cpu vcore voltage?? do i have to worry about something??? do i need to change something on my BIOS??

Im really a total noob in overclocking......

Thank you for your time and this guide

Last edited:
Im not sure what is wrong, but something is, 4.5 ghz should not push the vvoltage to 1.6 or 1.7..... normal vcore range is 1.35 v as a starting reference.
some chips do more some chips do less....but 1.6 is wayy wayy to much, some get the 1.6 at above 5.0ghz and were talking mid 5 ghz like 5.5 from what ive seen...

take a picture of your bios setting and post them maybe someone can look and see whats under the hood.....

Note: You should be able to get to 4.5 with minimal changes... also check your PLL overvoltage and see what is says...

Also do you have some type of OC software installed like AI tweaker or anything that comes with your board?

Last edited:
Hey, I just finished buildin my dream computer. i7 2600k, 2xgtx480 on the maximus iv extreme motherboard, 8gb corsair dominator ram. Im a complete noob in overclocking, but i went into the bios and set the core multiplier to 45 and changed the cpu voltage to 1.27v and the dram voltage to 1.5v. Do u think this is fine for 24/7 gaming use? it seems to be working fine but my fans have turned up a little. Is this a good amount of voltage? do u think i should turn the frequency down to 4.3-4.2ghz?

looks about right to me, you should be fine......nice vcore @1.27...
what are you cooling it with? not that it really matters at 4.5 is nice 24/7 OC...

Hmmm now i don't know. the Intel Burn Test failed even at standard stress after 2 passes.
Should I try turning up the Vcore to 1.35v?!?!

Edit: sorry forgot to add, using the Corsair H60 cooling and 850w psu

Last edited:
Hey, I just finished buildin my dream computer. i7 2600k, 2xgtx480 on the maximus iv extreme motherboard, 8gb corsair dominator ram. Im a complete noob in overclocking, but i went into the bios and set the core multiplier to 45 and changed the cpu voltage to 1.27v and the dram voltage to 1.5v. Do u think this is fine for 24/7 gaming use? it seems to be working fine but my fans have turned up a little. Is this a good amount of voltage? do u think i should turn the frequency down to 4.3-4.2ghz?

There's no way to know if that voltage is enough for that cpu. They're all different. I really wish people would read the whole thread.

Is your ram 1.5V ram? set it to what it's listed as.

looks about right to me, you should be fine......nice vcore @1.27...

:bang head He hasn't even stress tested it. How can you say should be fine? It's like looking at the blueprint for a skyscraper for 1/2 a second and signing off on it. Come on guy.

Folks please if you're not sure that you're at least an entry level expert, please don't sign off on other people's settings. And don't assume what your CPU is behaving well at has any bearing whatsoever on anybody else's results. It does not.

There's no way to know if that voltage is enough for that cpu. They're all different. I really wish people would read the whole thread.

Is your ram 1.5V ram? set it to what it's listed as.

:bang head He hasn't even stress tested it. How can you say should be fine? It's like looking at the blueprint for a skyscraper for 1/2 a second and signing off on it. Come on guy.

Folks please if you're not sure that you're at least an entry level expert, please don't sign off on other people's settings. And don't assume what your CPU is behaving well at has any bearing whatsoever on anybody else's results. It does not.

You are correct OCnoob, I made an assumption that since i myself have a stable OC at 4.5 with 1.27 its forseeable that HE could be stable at the same.. I also made another assumption that he stressed it before posting...
my appologies in that regard...I hope there are no further reasons for you to:bang head.......

dont be :mad: i dont wanna :argue: so lets be :cool:..........:thup:

ok well i bumped my voltage up to 1.35 on the cpu and yea as i said before if u read my dram voltage is at 1.5v. the Intel Burn test made thru 5 passes on Maximum stress but it took almost 18 minutes. I'm in the process of the prime95 blend test and its been running now for 3 1/2 hours peaking at about 83c

ok well i bumped my voltage up to 1.35 on the cpu and yea as i said before if u read my dram voltage is at 1.5v. the Intel Burn test made thru 5 passes on Maximum stress but it took almost 18 minutes. I'm in the process of the prime95 blend test and its been running now for 3 1/2 hours peaking at about 83c

How hot did it get in burn test? Was the 83 in burn test or in Prime 95?
In burn test at that voltage with that cooler I'd expect to be hitting low 80s. If it was P95 temp perhaps a smidge high.. Still won't translate to dangerous real world operating temps as long as you keep the radiator clean. Running it push/pull with 2 faster fans also helps.

You are correct OCnoob, I made an assumption that since i myself have a stable OC at 4.5 with 1.27 its forseeable that HE could be stable at the same.. I also made another assumption that he stressed it before posting...
my appologies in that regard...I hope there are no further reasons for you to:bang head.......

dont be :mad: i dont wanna :argue: so lets be :cool:..........:thup:

The head bang smiley was a frustrated smiley it was not an angry smiley.
We have to remember we're giving advice to others regarding their 900-2000+ $ of equipment and we need to do so gingerly and in a way that's definitely going to produce positive results. We don't want people getting confused or overvolting stuff or anything. :)

Last edited:
from what I saw the temps were like 88C at the very most on IBT but usually around 85/86. and the prime95 was usually around 82 but maxed at 84C. im using the corsair H60. not sure what ur asking but it looks like the fan is on the inside of the cooling unit (closer to the cpu). should it be on the outside of it? Idk how to configure fan speed. I went into the bios and turned the cpu fan to turbo and it didnt seem like it made it any faster/louder

Those temps are pretty high with an h60 I only have a h 212+ and I never got temps that high, by push/pull he means two fans on the rad like this

<-(fan)(rad)(fan)<- air flow

hmm I can't figure out how to increase my cpu fan for the h60. I switched it to turbo in the bios but I didn't notice a diffrence

Hmm i have no idea how to do that :/ im the real OCnoob so... yea. waht else can i do to get cpu temp down?! seems like the h60 should be fine for this overclock...

Hmm i have no idea how to do that :/ im the real OCnoob so... yea. waht else can i do to get cpu temp down?! seems like the h60 should be fine for this overclock...

It's not going to be disgusting for daily use. My concern is when the rad gets dirty. I wouldn't be using the fan that came with that thing to begin with as I don't like Corsair fans. I'd have two faster fans on either end of it. Most fans come with molex adapters and that's the best and neatest looking way to do them if you want to run them 100%. It's got a small fan connector on one end and a big clunky ancient 4 pin connector on the other. Plugs into a similar connector from your power supply.

I need some help here.

I'm trying to overclock my i7-2600k to 4.5Ghz. I have the cpu voltage set to 1.32. It idles at low-mid 30's. When I run Prime95, the temps quickly rise to over 90C! I've tried reseating the cooler several times. I've tried the spread, line, x, and dot method.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I'm about ready to throw the Hyper 212 in the trash and buy a Noctua NH-D14.

Specs:

MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
CPU: I7-2600K
CPU COOLER: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO w/Arctic Cooling MX-2
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600 mhz
CASE: Corsair 500R
PSU: Corsair HX750

120205162116.jpg

120205162407.jpg

4.5.jpg

Just hit 4.5GHz on 2600k @1.272V with all fancy bells and whistles enabled (virtualization, ht, speedstepp, all c states. Highest temperatures are 65C. After prime95 is stopped i drop down to [email protected] (wow).

Super happy with it so far :). Trying to push it to 4.6 has been hard so far (STOP 0x124 and 0x9c keeps popping up, and do not get solved when I up VTT / VCORE.) So I will keep it at 4.5 for now, and push it later on if I have to. Right now I don't have a need to lol.

I need some help here.

I'm trying to overclock my i7-2600k to 4.5Ghz. I have the cpu voltage set to 1.32. It idles at low-mid 30's. When I run Prime95, the temps quickly rise to over 90C! I've tried reseating the cooler several times. I've tried the spread, line, x, and dot method.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I'm about ready to throw the Hyper 212 in the trash and buy a Noctua NH-D14.

Specs:

MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
CPU: I7-2600K
CPU COOLER: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO w/Arctic Cooling MX-2
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600 mhz
CASE: Corsair 500R
PSU: Corsair HX750

That Hyper212+ should handle 4.5ghz at 1.32v easily if installed right. Mine rarely exceeds 55. There's something bad wrong, not just thermal paste. I doubt mine would hit 80 with no paste at all. It's probably not making complete contact with the CPU. The screws should be progressively tightened cross-corner and in sequence. Maybe it's been dropped and a heat pipe is sticking up from the others, or something else major. Pull it off, clean good with alcohol, and check it on a piece of flat glass, using thin paper or plastic film to check for gaps.

There are many YouTube videos on tightening the Hyper212+ and keeping it level, you may want to check those out.

That Hyper212+ should handle 4.5ghz at 1.32v easily if installed right. Mine rarely exceeds 55. There's something bad wrong, not just thermal paste. I doubt mine would hit 80 with no paste at all. It's probably not making complete contact with the CPU. The screws should be progressively tightened cross-corner and in sequence. Maybe it's been dropped and a heat pipe is sticking up from the others, or something else major. Pull it off, clean good with alcohol, and check it on a piece of flat glass, using thin paper or plastic film to check for gaps.

There are many YouTube videos on tightening the Hyper212+ and keeping it level, you may want to check those out.

I think you're right about not making good contact. When I had it apart last night, I laid a razor blade across the heatsink to check the flatness and found the outer edges (the nickel plated part) to be higher than the copper heat pipes in the center. I could see light under the razor blade. Is that normal???

Looking closer at it, the edge of the heatsink is touching the cpu retainer bracket. I tried sticking a razor blade between them and couldn't. Is it suppose to do that?

DSCN0164.JPG

Back