• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright well I cant say I didnt see that question coming AJ. Dont know what happened but out of all the boxes I could have lost from my pc, It was my ram box. It is Corsair 2x4 and I believe the frequency was something like 800mhz(ish) dissapointely. Now Im not to sure how to find the exact info atm. Im gonna go google the web and hopefully ill be able to turn up with something that will be able to direct me into getting what you need.

Edit so its actually G Skill, going 4x2gb . Max bandwith PC3-10700H 667mhz. Lower then I originally thought. Model number is F3-10666CL9-2GBINQ

Last edited:
From your Edit at that rating if its correct, would be fine, so nothing to worry about. Just me double checking the settings in your Bios, as sometimes you need to set it yourself etc. So enjoy your PC and best wishes AJ. :thup: :popcorn:

Initially this guide wasn't working for my Asrock Ex4 because I couldn't find any of the options mentioned in the guide besides my OC tweaker, and once in there knowing what options to change was difficult.

I ended up updating my bios (quite easily on this board) and after that the options were almost 100% identical to what noob mentioned in his guide. Working great on 4.5ghz so far, gonna try to lower the voltage after a few more "safety" pases.

EDIT: Passes went find, played some arma III and the game performs unspeakable better now at Ultra settings... Been a while since I actually OC'd which is a shame given my setup. Ocnoob... you've renewed my love for performance crunching. Thank you!

Last edited:
I used this guide and had nothing but trouble... I think the 1.35v it WAAAAY to high.. I kept on blue screening left and right, and when I lowered it to 1.280, it seemed to stop.. I think 1.35 is a bit high to be the zero starting point. Since I'm running Prime95 now and it has not rebooted... Running @ 4.6Ghz..

Last edited:
I fail to see how a higher voltage that's within spec would create instability. And it's per chip regardless. My chip won't do 4.5 without 1.3v and it's a 2500k. No hyperthreading. The 1.35v is a generic 'yes this will probably work for 90% of people' number. But again I fail to see how short of your temps being too high how it would cause instability.

I fail to see how a higher voltage that's within spec would create instability. And it's per chip regardless. My chip won't do 4.5 without 1.3v and it's a 2500k. No hyperthreading. The 1.35v is a generic 'yes this will probably work for 90% of people' number. But again I fail to see how short of your temps being too high how it would cause instability.

90%? Not a chance in hell.. I'm running a 3770K, and it blue screened over and over.. I dropped it down to 1.28, all good now..

Too much voltage regardless of temp, can make it unstable..

There's definitely a difference for Ivy Bridge, but this is the Sandy Bridge OC guide :p

Makes more sense... Lol. Your temps prob shot up with that voltage on ivy.. You're excused <3 :p.

My point about voltage was with Sandy in mind (and I did specify within spec); you're probably posting from Mobile like I was so I could only assume you were on Sandy with no sig available. XD.

The process for OCing SB and IB are quite similar:
  1. Increase CPU multiplier
  2. Boot into OS and stress test
  3. If boot or stress test fails, increase Vcore and repeat 2. If stress test passes, repeat 1-2.
  4. Repeat until you reach your temp limit or voltage limit.

Is there like a average voltage just for the stock speed of 3.5Ghz? Also, is CPU-Z more reliable than HWiNFO when reporting voltages? Because atm I have my i7 3770k @ 3.7Ghz with 1.100vcore, and I'd like to stay around the lowest possible just for longevity and keeping the power usage low, as nothing I do even requires this processor's power so I don't need to overclock

Last edited:
Ran P95, and saw temps of 74 degrees on some cores, only ran the test for like 10 minutes. Anyone have any ideas of how to lower that temp?

I didn't even see a temp of 70 before my computer got hit by lightning, haha.

Hey fellas,

I did a clean install today (under stock cond. ofcourse) and now I'm running into a bit of an issue. The first time I did this OC I got 4.5Ghz fine but I never set the LLC.

This time I set everything as the guide said and I'm running into some problems. Without my LLC set I'm getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.37V which I think is to high so I set LLC and I stay in the 1.359V region. For whatever reason I keep getting blue screened.

I've also notice when I set my timings but leave my DRAM Freq. set to auto my ram shows as 1333, though it's 1600. I have two different brands of ram in my mobo but both have the same exact sspecs. 1.5V, 9-9-9-24

If you're curious of the manufacturers two are GSkill Ripjaws the other two are Intel Pats.

I've tried manually setting the ram to 1600 and 1333, still BSOD. Tried bumping the voltage slightly, still BSOD. I'm not sure how to get back into the 4.5Ghz region without going into the 1.38V region. Any suggestions? If I left something out please let me know!

(EDIT) No matter what I do this cpu wants to pull 1.386V under load, it refuses to go any regardless what the LLC is set to. So far at 4.4Ghz I can get further than I did earlier. But I still BSOD if I change the LLC from 3/5.

(RE-EDIT) I think I might be confusing my self here, am I supposed to be looking at VID or V Core in HWMon?? If I'm looking at Vcore I'm only pulling 1.328V under load.

desktop.png

So if I understand right, the VID is what the cpu is requesting. Since all the cpu is actually getting is a max of 1.36 I am essentially in the clear right? This is with LLC set to auto.

Last edited:
Hey fellas,

I did a clean install today (under stock cond. ofcourse) and now I'm running into a bit of an issue. The first time I did this OC I got 4.5Ghz fine but I never set the LLC.

This time I set everything as the guide said and I'm running into some problems. Without my LLC set I'm getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.37V which I think is to high so I set LLC and I stay in the 1.359V region. For whatever reason I keep getting blue screened.

I've also notice when I set my timings but leave my DRAM Freq. set to auto my ram shows as 1333, though it's 1600. I have two different brands of ram in my mobo but both have the same exact sspecs. 1.5V, 9-9-9-24

If you're curious of the manufacturers one is GSkill Ripjaws the other two are Intel Pats.

I've tried manually setting the ram to 1600 and 1333, still BSOD. Tried bumping the voltage slightly, still BSOD. I'm not sure how to get back into the 4.5Ghz region without going into the 1.38V region. Any suggestions? If I left something out please let me know!

(EDIT) No matter what I do this cpu wants to pull 1.386V under load, it refuses to go any regardless what the LLC is set to. So far at 4.4Ghz I can get further than I did earlier. But I still BSOD if I change the LLC from 3/5.

(RE-EDIT) I think I might be confusing my self here, am I supposed to be looking at VID or V Core in HWMon?? If I'm looking at Vcore I'm only pulling 1.328V under load.

View attachment 134304

So if I understand right, the VID is what the cpu is requesting. Since all the cpu is actually getting is a max of 1.36 I am essentially in the clear right? This is with LLC set to auto.

I've got a headache so I can't help you but one thing I WILL say is that you should not be running 3 sticks of RAM. 2 or 4. 2 in the colored or black slots. Use the same color slot X2 for your two sticks of RAM. Get yourself a proper 2x4GB or 2x8GB RAM kit.

I've got a headache so I can't help you but one thing I WILL say is that you should not be running 3 sticks of RAM. 2 or 4. 2 in the colored or black slots. Use the same color slot X2 for your two sticks of RAM. Get yourself a proper 2x4GB or 2x8GB RAM kit.

Sorry OC I should have stated more clearly, I make it sound like a have three but I have four it's all in dual channel. Two gskills and two pats just like in my sig

Sorry OC I should have stated more clearly, I make it sound like a have three but I have four it's all in dual channel. Two gskills and two pats just like in my sig

That's how much my head hurt last night... I couldn't even read your signature.

Well I think you can safely set your RAM to 1600Mhz. Reading the XMP profile on mixed sets like that would be a no-no.

It's possible that your cpu is a bit of a voltage pig. There is such a thing as a terrible overclocker.

You should be looking at the vCore, not the VID. You don't need to understand what VID even is to overclock your CPU.

If you're getting 1.32V under load for your vcore that's fine. 1.36 would be fine too if it were your actual voltage under load. Just keep it below 1.44V on these CPUs and you should be fine. Just a matter of keeping your temps reasonable, which, with that voltage on that cpu on that cooler, they should be.

Back