• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ahhh, well i guess i feel slightly more ok about it then :D.

is chip life actually reduced significantly with overclocks like this? I actually haven't read anything anywhere concerning how much life one might expect to lose from the chip with this OC.

Not unless you plan to be using it for the next 10-15 years. With the slight voltage increase we are using (1.4v and under) and as long as the chip is staying relatively cool (under 75-80C under load, which likely is a very small amount of time) I woudn't worry about it, especially as a person [myself] who upgrades every year and a half to 2 years.

Not unless you plan to be using it for the next 10-15 years. With the slight voltage increase we are using (1.4v and under) and as long as the chip is staying relatively cool (under 75-80C under load, which likely is a very small amount of time) I woudn't worry about it, especially as a person [myself] who upgrades every year and a half to 2 years.

haha, no- no 10-15 year usage plan. effectively, i'm just like the rest of you. want to buy great hardware so i can use it for a long time, but then i end up buying new toys a few years later when i see the potential difference in performance :D

What about taking things to the next level. With the Voltage still on auto, I'm getting 4500 at 1.32V and running perfectly stable. Temps under full load on Prime95 hover in the 60s occasionally going into the 70s with a Zalman 120mm set at around 1300 RPM (~50%)

I started playing around with trying to crank it a bit past 4500 and am having no luck. First tried with the voltage on auto and got a crash very quickly into starting Prime 95. Temps hadn't even started rising that much.

I then tried manually cranking the Voltage up to just barely over 1.4 just as a starting spot with a plan to dial it down from there once it worked. Same result.

What else do I need to be fiddling with to find out how much juice I can squeeze from this rock? Seems strange that I'm able to get good stability and low voltage (on auto, no less) at 4500 but can't get to 4600 with a significant increase in voltage.

What am I missing?

I am overclocking my Mushkin 1333 to 1600 which was perfectly stable at 4500, but maybe I should just go with the stock 1333 while I play with going up above 45?

Around this level of overclocking, you may need to enable PLL override voltage (listed in teh guide as well).

What about taking things to the next level. With the Voltage still on auto, I'm getting 4500 at 1.32V and running perfectly stable. Temps under full load on Prime95 hover in the 60s occasionally going into the 70s with a Zalman 120mm set at around 1300 RPM (~50%)

I started playing around with trying to crank it a bit past 4500 and am having no luck. First tried with the voltage on auto and got a crash very quickly into starting Prime 95. Temps hadn't even started rising that much.

I then tried manually cranking the Voltage up to just barely over 1.4 just as a starting spot with a plan to dial it down from there once it worked. Same result.

What else do I need to be fiddling with to find out how much juice I can squeeze from this rock? Seems strange that I'm able to get good stability and low voltage (on auto, no less) at 4500 but can't get to 4600 with a significant increase in voltage.

What am I missing?

I am overclocking my Mushkin 1333 to 1600 which was perfectly stable at 4500, but maybe I should just go with the stock 1333 while I play with going up above 45?

what clock speed were you trying to go up to? just thinking out loud here, but maybe your chip just doesn't want to take a higher clock. at 1.4 volts, i would imagine that should be plenty for even quite a bit more juice. if yours wouldn't take it.....i don't know.

is it common of processors that WILL take 4500 to overclock even further?

If thats his chips limit, it has to be the lowest clocked 2500k Ive seen ever. There is more in the tank, we just dont know how to get there at the moment.

is it common of processors that WILL take 4500 to overclock even further?
Im not certain I understand what this means... do you mean if a CPU reaches 4.5ghz that it can clock further? It really doesnt work that way. All chips have a limit, but the 2500k is 5Ghz+ in most cases...and like I said, never seen 4.5Ghz as the limit (so long as temps are under control of course). But if thats what you meant, naa, just b/c I get to XX doesnt mean I will get to XX +1. I mean if I get to 5.4Ghz am I going to get 5.5Ghz? The story changes both at teh high and low end of the story. ;)

I just bought an i7-2600k and can't wait to try this. I maxed the 950 at 4.62 and that was pretty unstable, looking forward to lowering my voltages.

My memory sucks as well so looking forward to the simple multiplier

I really appreciate everything here - I can not wait to get my P8z68 Deluxe board and i5-2500k... hopefully arriving next week.

I will be finally be able to bring my Gigabyte Z68 UD3H mobo, the i5 2500K, and the Crucial 8GB 1333 back and get them replaced with probably the same components today.
Hopefully the computer will work normally this time..

Is there a good 4.0GHz OC guide for Intel Sandy Bridge i5(i3-i7) CPU's? I would like to try OC next time, but not quite 4.5GHz yet..

If thats his chips limit, it has to be the lowest clocked 2500k Ive seen ever. There is more in the tank, we just dont know how to get there at the moment.

Im not certain I understand what this means... do you mean if a CPU reaches 4.5ghz that it can clock further? It really doesnt work that way. All chips have a limit, but the 2500k is 5Ghz+ in most cases...and like I said, never seen 4.5Ghz as the limit (so long as temps are under control of course). But if thats what you meant, naa, just b/c I get to XX doesnt mean I will get to XX +1. I mean if I get to 5.4Ghz am I going to get 5.5Ghz? The story changes both at teh high and low end of the story. ;)

Yeah, so the key was turning up the QPI/Vtt voltage to 1.12. After that, I'm able to pretty easily hit a stable 4.7 with vcore at 1.38 running Prime 95for about 3 hours. I thought I got the vcore lower than that so I need to play around with it a bit more (lesson learned - save your successful profiles).

Tinkered a bit with hitting 4.8. Thought I had something going with a vcore a hair over 1.4 after stepping my way up but running into Prime 95 errors (not crashes) along the way. At 1.4, Prime 95 was going a solid 15 minutes with max temp hitting about 76c in coretemp but mostly fluctuating around the low 70s when I got hit with a BSOD just when I thought things were peachy.

Also managed to get my 560Ti up to 1000MhZ, so I'll call that a fairly successful evening of OC fun.

I will be finally be able to bring my Gigabyte Z68 UD3H mobo, the i5 2500K, and the Crucial 8GB 1333 back and get them replaced with probably the same components today.

Is there a good 4.0GHz OC guide for Intel Sandy Bridge i5(i3-i7) CPU's? I would like to try OC next time, but not quite 4.5GHz yet..

4.5 is really remarkable easy (once you figure out to Disable the turbo). Getting above 4.5 took a bit more work, but I see little reason not to jump right to 4.5

Just started a thread for this question...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7060086#post7060086

EDIT: Sorry about the double post.

4.5 is really remarkable easy (once you figure out to Disable the turbo). Getting above 4.5 took a bit more work, but I see little reason not to jump right to 4.5

Yeah, the only thing is figuring out what to specifically do on one's own(my) specific motherboard..

Just set mine up exactly as stated here and am now into 30 minutes of Prime 95 with the highest temp at 62*C. Volts steady at 1.33 and core speed/multiplier staying at 4500/45. No issues at all so far and am loving it. Kinda new to this OC'ing thing, just yesterday I got my GPU stable at 925/1850/2100 at 1.024 volts. Never exceeded 53*C after 1.5 hrs of Heaven looping then right after played BF3 maxed out for a couple hours.
Anyways just wanted to say thanks for the awesome thread. It has helped a lot to get a baseline. Now I will try to lower the voltage and find where stable is.
I do have one question tho, after I find a stable overclock, can I enable the speedstep. (I think that is when the cores will clock down on idle)
Thanks

Ran some more test and all seems good except when I change the speed step thing in the bios the multi is still at 45 even at idle. Is there another option I am missing here to enable this.
Thanks

Back