• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 1150 Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not sure. After looking at a couple of reviews, I don't see any IR stuff on it/60A chokes. But, again, that isn't needed either for an ambient overclock/gaming/daily driver type thing. No reason to get more than something like the Extreme 6. But as always, to each their own. :)

I do not have one yet, our for delivery on Friday :)

Based on what many of my friends are telling me and their results that speak for themselves.

Suffice it to say some of the top guys in the game

The AsRock Z97 OC Formula all day long and twice on Tuesday's and Thursday's

One would argue why so much mojo for a dialy ride, but with a 40 dollar rebate bringing the price of admission down to $ 180.00 You have to look very hard to find a legitimate argument not to go with this beast being good mainstream boards are around $ 150.00 to $ 160.00

Newegg link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...CH&Description=Z97+OC+Formula&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Resume

http://hwbot.org/hardware/motherboard/z97_oc_formula/

Best of luck

Because he isn't taking it cold. Its up to him if he wants to fight a rebate and pay $20 more for what ends up no appreciable gains (Not sure what audio it has on it, sata ports, M.2... etc - but again that's up to the OP). :)

We inform, they choose. BOOM. :p :rofl:

I do not have one yet, our for delivery on Friday :)

Based on what many of my friends are telling me and their results that speak for themselves.

Suffice it to say some of the top guys in the game

The AsRock Z97 OC Formula all day long and twice on Tuesday's and Thursday's

One would argue why so much mojo for a dialy ride, but with a 40 dollar rebate bringing the price of admission down to $ 180.00 You have to look very hard to find a legitimate argument not to go with this beast being good mainstream boards are around $ 150.00 to $ 160.00

Newegg link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...CH&Description=Z97+OC+Formula&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Resume

http://hwbot.org/hardware/motherboard/z97_oc_formula/

Best of luck

Tempting indeed. Damn good price on that board.

Because he isn't taking it cold. Its up to him if he wants to fight a rebate and pay $20 more for what ends up no appreciable gains (Not sure what audio it has on it, sata ports, M.2... etc - but again that's up to the OP). :)

We inform, they choose. BOOM. :p :rofl:

Just trying to give our valued form members another perspective. :)

Absolutely warranted my friend. I was just giving legitimate arguments you mentioned in your statement. :)

Totally legit argument bro, I think it basically is a ex 6 with conformal and full digital power being the diff,

O yea, some of Nicks profiles FTW :)

Should have mine tomorrow, Newegg is lacking in the shipping department these days, ordered last Wednesday ???

@ the OP

There are many good boards out there, With ambient cooling feature sets are probably top of the list. The z97 OC Formula is just my personal favorite for reason you probably will never explore.

I think the best bang for the buck, and the best motherboard, generally, that an ambient overclocker can ask for with Haswell is the Z97 Extreme 6 from ASRock. Nobody else gives you the same featureset for the money. And it's got 12 phase VRM. Haswell/Haswell Refresh/Devil's Canyon have integrated VRM on the actual CPU itself called "FIVR". Don't ask me what that means, but in terms of motherboard choices it means that you can go with a much more stripped down VRM design than you could with P67/Z77/Z68. Even 4 decent power phases with a decent heatsink is enough to push a 4790K past 4.5Ghz in most cases. 8 or 12 is so much more than you're actually going to need on ambient, that it's actually a little ridiculous.

ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 gives you:

12 phase power
dual full length M.2 slots
Sata express
ALC 1150 codec with headphone amp, L/R channels on seperate PCB layers, seperated PCB section (anti "noise" feature) for audio, quality electrolytic audio caps.
Better Warranty support than ASUS (except for maybe ROG series)

The only thing that would make the Ex 6 a better board would be a PLX chip. It seriously can not be beat for the asking price. Unless you have liquid nitrogen in your future, you should buy this board. JM2C.

WS boards are not higher quality than boards designed for overclocking. Most high end boards are actually similar quality but what counts for overclocking board is that these boards are tested to keep stability at much higher voltages and have additional features like OC options in BIOS, additional memory profiles, full VRM adjustment options, more memory timings, access to modified BIOSes, longer manufacturer support ( for ROG/ASRock OCF boards it's at least half year longer BIOS support for memory compatibility and OC features ), voltage measurement points on PCB, OC buttons for bclk adjustment, power/reset buttons and diagnostic displays/leds, LN2 mode switches and some more.
WS boards are designed to support more devices/pcie cards. Except that they're not any different from regular but higher series motherboards. However you won't find many of the features mentioned above.

If you are overclocking CPU on air/water then probably any Z97 motherboard on the market will give you similar results but if budget is higher then I see no reason why not to pick better OC mobo to have additional options to play with and higher memory OC compatibility. Also best OC mobo series have additional protection against moisture so when you have a leak in water cooling then you won't kill your mobo ( personally tested on ASRock OCF and ASUS ROG boards ).

WS boards are not higher quality than boards designed for overclocking. Most high end boards are actually similar quality but what counts for overclocking board is that these boards are tested to keep stability at much higher voltages and have additional features like OC options in BIOS, additional memory profiles, full VRM adjustment options, more memory timings, access to modified BIOSes, longer manufacturer support ( for ROG/ASRock OCF boards it's at least half year longer BIOS support for memory compatibility and OC features ), voltage measurement points on PCB, OC buttons for bclk adjustment, power/reset buttons and diagnostic displays/leds, LN2 mode switches and some more.
WS boards are designed to support more devices/pcie cards. Except that they're not any different from regular but higher series motherboards. However you won't find many of the features mentioned above.
Out of thanks........

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are overclocking CPU on air/water then probably any Z97 motherboard on the market will give you similar results but if budget is higher then I see no reason why not to pick better OC mobo to have additional options to play with and higher memory OC compatibility. Also best OC mobo series have additional protection against moisture so when you have a leak in water cooling then you won't kill your mobo ( personally tested on ASRock OCF and ASUS ROG boards ).

Church!
(also some stuff I didn't know. Thank you for the knowledge.)

Magic-Don-Juan.jpg

Performs like any other Z97 board just lacks of some features which OC boards have so final CPU OC result won't be worse but may take some more time and memory overclocking can be limited ( because won't have some options available only on some best OC boards ). All who are overclocking on air/water won't see any special difference between most Z97 boards and even ITX boards will make 4.5GHz+.

Seems we need an experienced OC'er to play with this WS board and see how she performs.

It''ll perform just fine. I reviewed a z87 we board and overclocked on it to 4.9 Ghz.

Again 99% of boards will be fine for 99% of people. the ws isn't anything special outside of its copious amounts of sata ports really.

Back