• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best memory for overclock 4500mhz +

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xdrqgol

Registered
Hi guys,

So I have recently sold my Corsair Vengeance 4600mhz RAM modules .and now I am looking to buy new ram modules that could be overclocked and used 24/7 at 4500mhz + , best price / model that can reach good speed / good timings.

What memory do you recommend buying, that can be overclocked with the best timings and decent voltage.

Looking forward to your comments.

:salute:

It's not guaranteed how memory will OC past 4500 or what timings it will require. Most memory kits have more relaxed timings "just in case". Some at tight timings don't want to work on some motherboards.
In general everything 4000 CL17, 4133 CL18, 4266 CL19 or higher CL19 will make 4500+. However I had Team Xtreem 4133 CL18-18-18 which couldn't pass 4266 on some motherboards and on one ASUS it could run at 4500 but it was its max.
There are also mixed reviews of Team Group memory kits. A lot of them have Samsung B but not all of them OC well.

For me safe is G.Skill as they are using good IC in all 3200 CL14, 3600 CL16, 4000+ kits and all that I had could make 4500+.

HyperX Predator/Predator RGB 4000+ can make 4500+ easily or at least I haven't seen any of these kits to run below 4500. Both my kits run up to 4800+, depends on the CPU. One passed 5266 on air but only for valid. It was the highest mem clock on air on hwbot.

It's not guaranteed how memory will OC past 4500 or what timings it will require. Most memory kits have more relaxed timings "just in case". Some at tight timings don't want to work on some motherboards.
In general everything 4000 CL17, 4133 CL18, 4266 CL19 or higher CL19 will make 4500+. However I had Team Xtreem 4133 CL18-18-18 which couldn't pass 4266 on some motherboards and on one ASUS it could run at 4500 but it was its max.
There are also mixed reviews of Team Group memory kits. A lot of them have Samsung B but not all of them OC well.

For me safe is G.Skill as they are using good IC in all 3200 CL14, 3600 CL16, 4000+ kits and all that I had could make 4500+.

HyperX Predator/Predator RGB 4000+ can make 4500+ easily or at least I haven't seen any of these kits to run below 4500. Both my kits run up to 4800+, depends on the CPU. One passed 5266 on air but only for valid. It was the highest mem clock on air on hwbot.

THANK YOU!

and one more thing if you could, what are the 24/7 safe Voltage for 4500Mhz:

DRAM - 1.55?
VCCIO - 1.35v?
VCCSA - 1.35v?

Motherboards will stop at ~1.35V VCCIO and ~1.40V VCCSA. I doubt that anyone tested max safe values but I wouldn't pass them for 24/7 work. Some motherboards have info that 1.65V+ SA can instantly kill the CPU. I went up to 1.82+V and it was fine but let's say I don't recommend that and it was only for short period of time without high IMC load.

It's better to keep DRAM voltage at 1.5V or below. In daily work, it doesn't matter if memory runs at CL16 or CL18 and it's not a good idea to keep it at high voltages 24/7. Most above average Samsung B will run at 4500 19-19-19 1.35-1.40V.

Motherboards will stop at ~1.35V VCCIO and ~1.40V VCCSA. I doubt that anyone tested max safe values but I wouldn't pass them for 24/7 work. Some motherboards have info that 1.65V+ SA can instantly kill the CPU. I went up to 1.82+V and it was fine but let's say I don't recommend that and it was only for short period of time without high IMC load.

It's better to keep DRAM voltage at 1.5V or below. In daily work, it doesn't matter if memory runs at CL16 or CL18 and it's not a good idea to keep it at high voltages 24/7. Most above average Samsung B will run at 4500 19-19-19 1.35-1.40V.

Yes, I was just wondering the maximum "SAFE" voltages that I or others could push.

I have seen as well the 1.6v SA tool tip in BIOS saying, that could instantly kill CPU and I am not planning to even go that high.

Again, wanted to know the MAXIMUM "SAFE" voltages for 24/7. So 1.3v/ VCCIO - VCCSA and 1.5v DRAM would be maximum for me and seems reasonable.

thanks a lot for the reply!

There is an old adage in the electronics industry that +/- 10% is safe. It comes from an era long before the silicon chip age. So take it for what it's worth. So for a module with a factory assigned voltage of 1.35 that would work out to 1.485 volts.

The fact that most memory manufacturers give lifetime warranties on their products gives some peace of mind when adding a little more juice for overclocking.

I have my DDR4 [email protected] (factory settings) overlocked to 3466 on 1.5v (with relaxed timings, of course) and it seems okay with that. That's a voltage increase of 11% and it doesn't object. Of course, it's only been that way for about three months so time will tell.

Another issue would be cooling and air flow across the modules. I should think in the scenario you are looking at putting a spot fan in the RAM area would be wise.

But you should also weigh the issue of higher frequency/relaxed timings vs. lower frequency/tight timings in this matter. No sense in going to all the hassle of tweaking (not to mention risk on the hardware) if that high aggressive overclock is not really giving any gain because of having to relax the timings.

Last edited:
The only problem with DDR4 is that all of them were designed to work at 1.20V so 1.35V is already covering that 10% and then some more as there are kits that have 1.4-1.5V XMP profiles. First HyperX Predator had 1.5V too. Later it was tested that 1.35V is more than enough.
I highly doubt that anyone tested max safe IO and SA. Even in Intel documents were values which were not really tested as their engineers later said. I mean when they said that VDIMM over 1.5V can kill the CPU (DDR3 generation).
But yes, 10% is generally unsigned rule of safe overvoltage.

Even in Intel documents were values which were not really tested as their engineers later said. I mean when they said that VDIMM over 1.5V can kill the CPU (DDR3 generation).

in regards to this... they stated that 1.5v, Vcore for the CPU is too much but I have seen some motherboards, for example the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme that comes bundled with a CPU that goes to 5.1Ghz...it has a dynamic voltage setup, and that voltages goes up to 1.56v at times...i have seen it in many videos..

But you all are right, 10% is a very good rule of safe votlages!

really appreciate all the replies! thanks!

In last maybe 3-4 generations, max CPU voltage is specified as 1.52V. Some lower motherboards don't have the option to set it higher. However, I've seen some videos also from MSI where they said that on their mobos it is possible to set 5.2GHz on a simple AIO cooler what would push 1.5V+ at auto settings. I will only tell you that 1.55V is enough to set many new chips up to 5.5-5.8GHz on dry ice or single-stage coolers so about -50°C or lower temps. It simply wont work like that at ambient temps. I have no idea why marketing is showing videos like that while users complain about overheating at 1.4V on a quite good water cooling.

In last maybe 3-4 generations, max CPU voltage is specified as 1.52V. Some lower motherboards don't have the option to set it higher. However, I've seen some videos also from MSI where they said that on their mobos it is possible to set 5.2GHz on a simple AIO cooler what would push 1.5V+ at auto settings. I will only tell you that 1.55V is enough to set many new chips up to 5.5-5.8GHz on dry ice or single-stage coolers so about -50°C or lower temps. It simply wont work like that at ambient temps. I have no idea why marketing is showing videos like that while users complain about overheating at 1.4V on a quite good water cooling.

true... what baffles me is that these extreme edition motherboards are supposed to last for how many years if they run at that 1.52v ...on ambient...that CPU will not hold long..really crazy, plus the problem with the warranty..I mean if you run like that you can say BYE BYE to warranty with Intel , because they will not accept it but nonetheless they are selling them like this... They are trying to do everything to end up on the top position.

I have seen some scenarios where peoples warranty was denied for using XMP ...

Back