• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best TIM for sub zero ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
as in title, I'm looking for best TIM that I could use with sub 0 cooling ... to be more specific something that I could put between CPU and IHS and don't care about changing it from time to time

probably there were threads about it but I'm looking for something that is quite easily available today

I think a lot of people liked ocz freeze. I never used it, I've always been happy enough with ceramique.

+1 for Ceramique Buy it by the 22gram tube. Lasts forever even with frequent cpu changes.

I see better results on MX4 than ceramique and when I'm using SS then I'm counting every *C. In this case I need something best as I removed IHS on my 3770K and I just need something as replacement for standard TIM. Probably it will be MX4 for now and I will be looking for something better.

Evga freeze? I think it's called is the "best" by like 2C over ceramique. But it's hard to find and expensive.

i just use the cheapo white stuff i think its coolermaster stuff i grab at the local pc shop 5 bucks for a 4g tube i think? or bigger? just convienent for me since you end up using alot of it

For really cold, Gelid Extreme, OCZ Freeze/extreme/whatever it is (gotta bin it now though, they changed the formula and the new one is meh) and EVGA Freeze/extreme/whatever it is. Those're the "best".
Of course, I haven't seen any EVGA results from anybody but KP...

That's ln2 temps though, where Ceramique fails or when you're running full pot and need that last few degrees.

For SS type temps MX4 or Gelid Extreme are probably the best bet, Ceramique is pretty bad comparatively speaking, and given the very small surface area and fairly large amount of heat I think it'd probably be worthwhile to use something better.

Of course, I use ceramique for everything :p

I can't find that OCZ anywhere in local stores ( or online in Poland ).
I have MX4, some Gelid, ceramique and large stock of some weird silicon but really I was thinking about something really good just to put between CPU and IHS. Something more like liquid metal stuff but I'm not sure how it will be acting after let's say 2-3 months ...

I personally just use AS5, as it's what I've been using for years. I always have some around, it always gives a good mount, is fairly inexpensive, and yields good results.

I'd probably say use the gelid extreme for what your talking about. Its one of the thinnest pastes aswell, Your gonna get a good spread on it just about every time. Ceramique is most valuable when your swapping alot cause its cheap, but as ed says you tap out at those last few degrees with the stuff when your really really pushing full pot.

I have generally been impressed with the gelid extreme its just more expensive than I like :\

Gelid extreme is what I have been using when every degree of temp matters. Otherwise I have used ceramique. The ceramique just ran out, now I have a 25g tube of ceramique 2. It seems a little thinner, but that may be because the end of the old tube was probably dried out a bit or old though.

Thanks all. I will use MX4 for now as there is no OCZ available anymore and from Gelid I see only that cheaper version ( that I also have at home ). If I find good info that liquid metal is 100% safe for longer then maybe I will get one small tube.

Back