• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to solve the age old problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brimw234

Registered
I own a gateway fx 6800-01e currently using an i7 extreme on an LGA 1366. I have upgradeed the ram to 26gb and have the original graphics card(no onboard graphics). I have 3 of thermaltakes most powerful brushless fans on this system and i still can't take the pc out of its power efficent state without over heating. Where should i go from here cooling wise?

Welcome to OCFs.

Can you be more specific on what is overheating. First and foremost give us a whole list of your components and what the temps are. Ambient, cpu and gpu etc.

26GB ram? Not sure if that's even possible on a 1366. I am thinking you meant to say 24GB.

I have the origonal graphics card(no model tag on it) but the gpu has actuly un soldered it self, i dont know how to see the spacific voltages or clock rate of the system i do know that i have a 700 watt powersupply on it (wont run with anything less). I have not done any overclocking, eventually want to tho. Iv burnt my self on the ambient heat comming from the main cooling fan.

System:
I7-900 extreem edation
3x 8gb ballistix ddr3 pc3 sdram
Chipset: x58
Graphics: ATI Radeon™ HD 4850
Hdd: seagate barracuda 1tb
Powersupply: 700w thermaltake silver

I want to update and upgrade but I dont want to put new stuff in untill i get the heat under control.
I'v looked into liquid for that fact.

If you have not done so, it is likely time to replace your thermal paste on cpu and gpu and blow out all of the dust.

All the thermal pastes are still new as in like maybe 3mounths old, includeing paste on the northbridge and south bridge. I clean out dust regularly,
My current cooling is
Cpu:stand alone liquid unit
Gpu: direct fan/heatsink
Chipset: direct fan/heatsink on nb just heatsink on sb
Case: 3 140mm 3.6 watt 2000rpm fans (2 in/1 out)

2000 RPM is too weak for such a high end machine. 3000 RPM or more (rated max speed) is more reasonable. For reference, my PC (a generation newer, but same tier) has a fan with a rated max speed of 5500 RPM.

Honestly, I would replace the case and move everything to a new or used better air flowed case. That case lacks good air floor. One issue though is the PSU and some other parts might be custom made for that setup/case as most of those companies do.

2000 RPM is too weak for such a high end machine. 3000 RPM or more (rated max speed) is more reasonable. For reference, my PC (a generation newer, but same tier) has a fan with a rated max speed of 5500 RPM.

What are you talking about? My i7 930 ran with a thermalright True 120 ultra and two gt ap 15s which I changed to a 13s. They were plenty for my cpu at 4ghz. Two simple intakes. Couple exhausts. With a HD 5850.

My system remained cool and moderately quiet. And I live in Australia. Why the hell does he need deltas?

First thing I'd do is throw up core temp or something, run prime95 for 20 mins and see what temps he actually has.

What are you talking about? My i7 930 ran with a thermalright True 120 ultra and two gt ap 15s which I changed to a 13s. They were plenty for my cpu at 4ghz. Two simple intakes. Couple exhausts. With a HD 5850.

My system remained cool and moderately quiet. And I live in Australia. Why the hell does he need deltas?

First thing I'd do is throw up core temp or something, run prime95 for 20 mins and see what temps he actually has.

Yeah I agree. I don't think he needs screaming Delta's but if he is overheating he needs better air flow.

OP can you show us some temps of the overheating you're talking about as well as the set settings?

I've also never heard of anyone 'burning' themselves on just the air out of a computer. Sure it gets warm. But to get that hot. I dunno... If it was that power supply then maybe. Thermaltake have some great psus out there. But they have many dud ones too. If it was a bundled system I'd probably argue it was a dud one. Can't tell without the model number and such.

700w is also plenty by the way. Assuming it is a decent unit. My prior listed system ran with 650w and probably only ever pulled 450 ish. But I'd definitely look at a new case first before anything else like Jack said. Pre built systems usually have pretty horrible cases...

Temps if what? Component? Exhaust? Ambient?
What set settings? You mean hardware? software? Bios?

There's a big difference between designing for being able to operate it at full load and designing it to work reliably at full load 24/7. Open up a modern rack server and keep in mind that if they could get away with cheaper, slower fans, they would.

There's very little downside to oversizing variable speed fans.

The system is a tower, psu ontop and i have replaced the psu once, the original burned out, my graphics card is at the bottom, cpu and harddrive is about middle, all my wires are in the wire channel but the sata for the harddrive, ambient temp ranges from 70f to 87f normaly but its spiked before to over 100f (actully 118).
My exhaust runs in the low 90s f (pealed paint of wall when there was paint there) all my bios settings have never changed, all set optimaly for system, im running vista pro on it, have two moniters both dvi-d. I dont know how to get temp of chips but the gpu has unsoldered, and i know the cpu runs cool

It funny, every time you mention or suggested Delta fan, and everyone hate it, saying it is to loud bla bla. Personally, I love Delta fan pwm. I use 10 of them total for my custom water cooling and love it. Now, I know what you all thinking, You must be deaf. The answer is of course I am not deaf. All the rpm is controlled via pwm and bios.

When I was running a air cooled Noctua NH-D14 my PC is boring. I can't hear a damn thing. Replaced the fan with Delta fan, and I love it. When I was rendering video, I hear the PC noise and i know it is still rendering. When I don't hear nothing, I know my project is done. Now , I understand, every body is different. Just like car. I love my corvette rumble with aftermarket exhaust. Other like it stock and quiet.

Back