• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to solve the age old problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes but the straight suggestion straight to deltas is a bit much. And we're not talking about a rack server.

If we looked at his current cooling. And other options and got an accurate read of his temps and set up and they were viable to jump straight to then sure. But we barely know anything about his rig and the first solution is 'get deltas. Need deltas for that rig' Lol. Don't NEED deltas. That's my point. 'really call for deltas' well not really. Might work well sure. But eh...

I still want pics of the OPs setup... And degrees in Celsius would help. Haha. And under load...

Just curious is liquid an option, i am in the process of getting a new case designed for high air flow and set up for a liquid system, even comes with the radiator, pump, and resivor built into the case.

Just curious is liquid an option, i am in the process of getting a new case designed for high air flow and set up for a liquid system, even comes with the radiator, pump, and resivor built into the case.
The only water cooling that is worth it is custom build. The prebuilds don't perform very much better than air cooling.

Delta (or an equivalent like Nidec or Sanyo) is the way to go for a system designed to handle high load and high ambient with ease. It doesn't matter if it's a rackmount case or not.

Im willing to do a custom build, iv done one before i just want to know is it an option for this particular situation or are straight fans the way to go?

It's a good choice if you're going to be overclocking a lot, but it does cost a lot more than air cooling.

Guys stop with the whole delta high speed fans. He doesn't need those. He needs a new case with a EVO air cooler on the CPU. That's it and go from there.

He's also stating that the heat inside the case and heat with the GPU generated so much that it soldered itself off.

THIS is the case he has. You guys are confusing that he might have a rack mount server or something and to get screaming delta fans when his case is a tower with almost no ventilation.

I want to add alot of hardware to this system and eventully overclock but i want to get the heat under control first. Im looking into a new case for this system, the one i like best so far is the Thermaltake Chaser A71 LCS.

The OP seems a bit vague to me about what he has to begin with.

*shrug*

Delta's probably aren't the answer from what I've read to begin with, but personally I'm still not sure WTF is actually in there unless I missed something.

*edit* after reading up and seeing that case, yeah a new case would be a good start IMHO.

I specified on the first page my system but again its a
Gateway fx 6800-01e
Motherboard TBGM01-1.0-8EKS3H
Processor i7 920 on a lga1366 socket
Chipset x58
Ram 24gb- 3x 8gb ddr3 pc3 sdram
Graphics ati radeon 4850 hd
Hdd 1x seagate barracuda 1tb

Last edited:
I say grab a new case (It seems you are a fan of Thermaltake, but I'd recommend looking at other options from Antec, CoolerMaster, NZXT, Silverstone, etc.) and pick up a Thermalright TRUE 120... Should do fine for your 920. You can move into liquid cooling, but I honestly don't recommend any of the AIO liquid units on the market as they tend to offer cheap and unreliable pumps along with a price for a good one being higher than that of simply getting a good heatsink/fan.

I agree with GTXJackBauer completely though, first step is to move into a better case. If you actually have an interest in water cooling (when I say water cooling I don't mean those cheap Corsair, NZXT, Antec, etc. units that you can buy for $100 or cheaper) then just get a case that can accomodate the radiators you can to use with plenty of room for yourself to work within and just work with the case as a starting point. If I did not have the Switch 810 for my watercooling setup, I would personally be picking up the Phanteks Enthoo Primo case.

I will say though, considering the amount you could be putting into a water cooled setup, you could simply put that money into processor/mobo upgrade such as 4670k and putting a CM 212 Evo on it. Just saying.

Yeah, I'm going to put my old TRUE 120 copper back on the 920 D0 HTPC when build it next weekend, but if you're going to redo the case might even be better off getting a Noctua NH-D14.

What I did at any rate.

My two cents, cya :)

Last edited:
its not about the fans its about airflow, you don't need 5000rpm deltas to have great airflow and great temps, if you have to run fans over 2000rpm to get enough airflow your case is too restricted.

I have the origonal graphics card(no model tag on it) but the gpu has actuly un soldered it self, i dont know how to see the spacific voltages or clock rate of the system i do know that i have a 700 watt powersupply on it (wont run with anything less). I have not done any overclocking, eventually want to tho. Iv burnt my self on the ambient heat comming from the main cooling fan.

You guys might want to look at what I have highlighted in yellow. Sounds to me like he needs a new graphics card.
If the graphics card is overheating because it "unsoldered" itself, it could be overloading the psu, causing shutdowns.

Brimw234, if I were you, I would consider replacing the graphics card. Borrow one from a friend/realative, and see if your problem stops. If it does, buy new graphics card and call it a day. (as long as the problem is solved) If it does not solve the problem, we need to troubleshoot a bit more.

When the gpu unsoldered i trashed the card and got a new one, and i run the system without the side pannel on it now. Depending on the time i have a small tabletop fan i point into the system, iv heard of capaciters poping on this perticular system when the case is shut and the system actully kicking.

its not about the fans its about airflow, you don't need 5000rpm deltas to have great airflow and great temps, if you have to run fans over 2000rpm to get enough airflow your case is too restricted.
That all depends on how hot the CPU actually runs and what maximum ambient temperature to design for. Doesn't hurt to design for high ambient even if that's not normally used. Extra cost of the higher end fans is very small compared to the total cost of the system and they'll last a long time if run at a fraction of their maximum speed using the PWM from the motherboard.

Also, if you're overclocking hard, it's hard to buy too much cooling.

You could park a C-130 blowing air on a CPU just to take it to extremes on top of the thing, and if its in a restricted case it will just be blowing hot air around inside it and not cooling anything.

Other than pushing out a small amount of really hot air from the sound of it.

Last edited:
Ok, thank you for clearing that up, now, you say "it is overheating", but in an earlier post, you claim cpu runs cool.
You also mention the exhaust air "peeling paint" off of a wall. Just out of curiosity, how close to the wall is the computer? Might be the power supply is overheating due to lack of airflow. (meaning too close to the wall to get full exhaust) Just a thought.

Can you be more specific as to what part is overheating?
It could also be that the capacitors on the motherboard are bad (CPU Voltage Regulator Module) above the cpu socket. Very common problem on oem motherboards.
If that is the case, I would consider a new build from the ground up. I think that would be more cost effective than trying to "upgrade" a real old system. You claim you would like to overclock at some point in the near future, so new system is the way to go.

Back