• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to solve the age old problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't have time to read it all. At work. But I saw Thermaltake LCS. And triggered an alarm. Don't use anything custom water cooling based from Thermaltake. Their AIO units are fine because they don't actually make it Lol. Just avoid pre built water units from them...

The capacitors arent blown, i regularly check the components of the board to be sure and my psu takes in from the case and pushes out the back. I genraly have it about 1 to 1.5 feet from the wall but when the system heat spikes the psu fan stops

So this whole thing was vary helpful, i now know that my psu is crap, even tho despited, dalta fans or equivalent are highly recomended, and i need to look into a new, high air flow case. This all being if i stay with this particular build. I say if i stay with becuase i can salvage from this build, start from scratch (which is a recommendation) and hopefully not have this problem again now that i have a better understanding of pc cooling from both this thread and many others iv read all over overclockers.

A good case won't need deltas. They're pretty extreme. While PWM fans can be spun slow, if you're never going to run them higher than 40%, why pay the premium for them?

Unless you care nothing about noise, that is.

A good case won't need deltas. They're pretty extreme. While PWM fans can be spun slow, if you're never going to run them higher than 40%, why pay the premium for them?

Unless you care nothing about noise, that is.
It gives headroom for upgrades, unusually high ambient temperature, hard overclocking, etc. Cheaper to buy it now than to buy a "cheap" fan now and a better one later.

Also note that there are lower end Deltas that are cheaper, plus one Delta can easily outperform 3-4 "cheap" fans while actually costing less.

I'm not saying buy "cheap" fans. I'm saying buy appropriate ones. I've run my system in 95+ deg F ambients when I had an apartment with no air conditioning and an SLI setup. It didn't need 5250rpm fans to keep temps tolerable, even without the water cooling. You should have some headroom, but too much headroom is just as inappropriate as not enough IMHO.

Define 'cheap'. What is a cheap fan to you? Future upgrades? I still don't see the need for deltas. I made my case earlier. Running an m atx rig in an Antec p180 mini, which had average airflow with the door and all. My i7 930 was run at 4ghz just fine for a long while without any deltas. And again that's over Aussie summer. Need I mention my room is part of an extension of the house where the houses air con doesn't reach. And my roof is tin... So... Ya. :/.

:shock: You think $21 is inexpensive for a case fan?

No. Just no. You're delusional. At that price point I'd pony up for AP-15.

Am I the only one that used and liked the old Scythe S-Flex as case fans? lol

Most machines only need one of those fans.

You seem to be obsessed with loud obnoxious fans. I don't know but I guess to each their own. Those were the old days for most of us but for some its in their liking. At that price point you can buy a few case fans instead of one or even a quiet premium but not as high of a RPM range. I think those ranges are ridiculously high. I don't think people like having screaming GPU's in their rigs, let alone screaming case fans 24/7. I think its safe to say I can speak on behalf of the most of us, the minority out there either don't care or like hearing their machine scream.

Last edited:
You seem to be obsessed with loud obnoxious fans. I don't know but I guess to each their own. Those were the old days for most of us but for some its in their liking. At that price point you can buy a few case fans instead of one or even a quiet premium but not as high of a RPM range. I think those ranges are ridiculously high. I don't think people like having screaming GPU's in their rigs, let alone screaming case fans 24/7. I think its safe to say I can speak on behalf of the most of us, the minority out there either don't care or like hearing their machine scream.
Delta is actually pretty good value for the variable speed fans. They slow down pretty well but they still give loads of reserve to handle unusually high demands. Apart from the high static pressure versions (those are pretty noisy due to the director blades and a higher minimum speed), they're next to silent at low speed.

BTW, 3400 RPM max rated speed ($20 fan I listed) isn't that high. An ordinary desk fan runs at about 3600 RPM.

Back