• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to solve the age old problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BTW, 3400 RPM max rated speed ($20 fan I listed) isn't that high. An ordinary desk fan runs at about 3600 RPM.

While we're making irrelevant comparisons to do with RPM, my car engine redlines at 8000rpm. Just wanted you guys to know that.

While we're making irrelevant comparisons to do with RPM, my car engine redlines at 8000rpm. Just wanted you guys to know that.

Mine redlines at 5300rpm. Cue Mike telling me this is why I don't like high speed fans.

Mine redlines at 5300rpm. Cue Mike telling me this is why I don't like high speed fans.

No, but if you had high speed deltas that go to 7,000 RPM you could increase your engine's maximum output by 3%!

Let's try to get back on topic a bit :p

I was comparing two like items (an axial fan and another axial fan) that work on the same principle and do basically the same thing. But unlike the induction motor in a desk fan, the ECM motor in a variable speed ("PWM") fan can efficiently slow down to about 20% of it's rated maximum speed.

The Yate Loons in my system are perfectly happy spinning anywhere between 200 rpm and 1500rpm via voltage control. The Yates start annoying me acoustically above approximately 1100rpm, and they move hardly any air at 200rpm. I see no reason, not a single one, that I would want to install fans capable of higher speeds.

You have a quad core machine with one video card. Some higher end machines have 6 or more cores (and the top end multiple CPUs) and SLI setups aren't exactly uncommon, but some video card cooler designs dump a lot of heat into the case.

And?

Yes, it's a *only* quad core, but a quad core overclocked that had a stock TDP of 130watts. Top of the range at the time. And I've run SLi in this machine, as I mentioned earlier. Still didn't have to run the fans particularly fast. Even with 95 deg F ambient. If you need a 3400rpm Delta to cool a 6-core CPU effectively you've done something horribly horribly wrong.

Also, I'd like to point out the original poster might also *only* have a quad core. His system is rather old to have a Gulftown chip in it, so I think quad is actually likely.

But you're changing the topic here. You claimed that Delta PWM fans were superior because of flexibility in speed selection. I just showed you that sort of low speed capability is not limited to Deltas. You further said that Deltas are required for adequate headroom in "high ambients". My apartment at 95 deg F wasn't hot enough? The system as configured at the time could draw 600 watts from the wall when benching/stressing. Not exactly ridiculously high, but certainly not meager, and I never had to run my case fans at full speed. Why would I need more? You also claimed Deltas to be "good value" at $20 a pop. Granted, PWM fans aren't cheap, but there are fans that move more than adequate amounts of air with less noise for the same price.

Can you just drop your ridiculous "Delta fans are the right fan for everything" schtick? Please? They work for some situations, sure. Evidently you're happy with yours. Great. That doesn't make them the right fan for everyone, or more specifically, the answer to the problem this particular poster came here with.

Off course Delta is not THE solution to everything... there's also San Ace :D
http://db.sanyodenki.co.jp/product_db_e/coolingfan/dcfan/cooling_dcfan.html

But the Delta's they have their place, esspecially if you are in need of the Clarkson solution: a hammer & powaaaar :D

BTW you guys crack me up, you'll sometimes sound like the Top Gear trinity :) :)

@Brimw234 :
I'ld start with either taking the hacksaw (or dremel) to the Gateway case to try to get better airflow
OR junk the Gateway case completely & get a better ventilated case (Fractal Design & Corsair are good options) and see where you end up with the fans that come with those cases... it might be enough. If not, you might need to add a fan or two.
A decent case + PSU will be in the 200 - 300 $/€ range

PSU reviews: http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php

PS: on the note of RPM: my bike redlines at 12000 RPM :D

Speaking of case and gulftown, the case i like best from my search is the cooler master haf stacker 935 and my board is built so that way i take off 4 screews and when i put it back together i have a gulftown on it which is what i was going to do once i fix the temps of this pc. I'm also looking at the thermaltake toughpower 725, i really like the cable set up on it and the fact it has a usbout so i can see accurate readings from the psu on my desktop, live feed. I still have to get a new graphics card tho and i have no idea what a good one/s are so tips?

I still have to get a new graphics card tho and i have no idea what a good one/s are so tips?

:shrug: Depends on your needs. The midrange stuff out right now is really strong for 1080p gaming. My 660ti is usually plenty for the 1200p gaming I do, for instance. If you like cutting edge, demanding titles like BF4 and the like then maybe something better. In a bit of a role reversal compared to history, the current nVidia crop is quieter and less power hungry than the AMD stuff, but they trade blows back and forth performance-wise across most price points, except the high end. AMD's stuff is in high demand on the high end due to their crypto performance so the crypto-miners are buying them all and driving up prices. Lots of good stuff out there right now though. If you pull the trigger for an AMD R9 series card, just make sure you get one with a non-reference cooler.

One thing im going to do when i get the new case im going to build a liquid cooling system, iv always liked the way the look and my motherboard is ment for one so any card i get i would like it to be compatible with that type of cooling but i was running a tri-monitor set up on dvi ports so anything i get i want to be equivalent but an actuly reliable card.

What do you mean your motherboard is meant for liquid cooling? The board available in your Gateway does not have waterblocks on the north or south bridge, and even if it did, you wouldn't need water running through anyway. It would merely add resistance for no benefit unless you were trying to push some SERIOUS overclock for a record or something, which... You wouldnt be able to do on that board anyway.

http://www.ascendtech.us/gateway-fx6800-01e-core-i7-motherboard_i_mb7gatwtbgm0110.aspx

My honest opinion for you would be to stick with a good air setup, unless you become temp limited in which case a custom loop would indeed help with the temps.

As far as vid cards, look at both camps as both NVIDIA and AMD offer great product. Each of their cards trade blows back and forth even into their flagships, but, if you want to mine with your GPU, you might want to stick to the Red camp as they would offer the most for your money in that case.

Last edited:
What do you mean your motherboard is meant for liquid cooling? The board available in your Gateway does not have waterblocks on the north or south bridge, and even if it did, you wouldn't need water running through anyway.

This pc came with water blocks for the cpu,original gpu, north bridge and south bridge. They were packaged in the box and the book said that it is recomended to use a water system on the pc if it is upgrade or changed at all due to the poor ventilation of the case. Plus i just like the look of a liquid setup.

This pc came with water blocks for the cpu,original gpu, north bridge and south bridge. They were packaged in the box and the book said that it is recomended to use a water system on the pc if it is upgrade or changed at all due to the poor ventilation of the case. Plus i just like the look of a liquid setup.

Can you show us a pic of those blocks that came with the MB? Are these components used and how old would you say they are? Some older components had mixed metals in them back in the days of H20.

Yea, I don't mean to burst any bubble here, but that PC from Gateway did not come new with anything water related, nor have I ever heard of a prebuilt manual stating anything recommended in such as custom water cooling.

Please take pictures of all 4 waterblocks for us to look at.

With the money you could put into a proper water loop (look at $500+ for cpu + gpu + RAM + mobo) you could put that money into far better and faster setup than what you have right now. This is my opinion here, but watercooling a prebuilt pc wherein you can't do much in regards to overclocking seems kind of stupid to me. Your motherboard's BIOS won't let you do much in regard to overclocking so, I dunno....

Well i dont plan on using the original blocks, they are mix metal. I didnt buy this pc straight from gateway it was through a computer store and one of the things they offered was to include water blocks and not thinking about mix metals and cheep parts i opted in, when i was trying to put the connectors on it the chip contact broke off the block so i returned the whole water block set. I was just saying for arguing point it came with blocks how ever cheep they were.

All this talk about high temps, deltas or water cooling being a solution is complete b.s. If you have a good case, two or three intake fans and two exhaust fans at reasonable rpm will do the job just fine, I ran 3820 @ 4.7GHz with 2 580 lightnings overcloked dumping heat into the case, and all I had was H80 on CPU and 3 yateloons as intake fans 1 as exhaust and 200mm on roof as exhaust all at or lower than 1500rpm and my CPU temp in prime barely broke 70c gpu temps during gaming were 78c max, but normally much lower like 60c

All this talk about high temps, deltas or water cooling being a solution is complete b.s. If you have a good case, two or three intake fans and two exhaust fans at reasonable rpm will do the job just fine, I ran 3820 @ 4.7GHz with 2 580 lightnings overcloked dumping heat into the case, and all I had was H80 on CPU and 3 yateloons as intake fans 1 as exhaust and 200mm on roof as exhaust all at or lower than 1500rpm and my CPU temp in prime barely broke 70c gpu temps during gaming were 78c max, but normally much lower like 60c

Guys stop with the whole delta high speed fans. He doesn't need those. He needs a new case

Reading the whole thread would help and knowing what case he's using. :p You comparing your case to his is apples and oranges as in ventilation.

I did read the whole thread, I been following it since its started, I know he has OEM case just didn't want to say anything to offend you guys, specifically about deltas solving his problem, he just needs to buy a good case and put some standard ~1500rpm fans in and he will be good to go. Deltas or San Ace have their uses but sticking with OEM case and installing bunch of 5000rpm fans is not a sensible solution to this problem.

I did read the whole thread, I been following it since its started, I know he has OEM case just didn't want to say anything to offend you guys, specifically about deltas solving his problem, he just needs to buy a good case and put some standard ~1500rpm fans in and he will be good to go. Deltas or San Ace have their uses but sticking with OEM case and installing bunch of 5000rpm fans is not a sensible solution to this problem.

Agree 100%. :thup:

Back