• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buggy Asock Z170 6600K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
The Z170 in my signature, Asrock 6600K, has generally been OK since its build but at times it behaves very strangely.

1. On boot up I get Error code 40 > "Chipset error" according to my users manual with no solution to date. I posted about this sometime back.

2. Doing an immediate restart clears the error code to what it should be (AA).

3. I leave the computers on all the timer, I feel its less strain on the circuits than turning off and on, but I digress.

4. After the machine sat idle for two weeks without touching it, I'm on another computer nearby and I hear Windows startup 'tune' and don't you know it rebooted itself. I use a 10-minute power off for monitor and drives when not using, no hibernation.

5. I had previously ignored the chipset error and one time (I think) it caused a hard lockup to the point of pulling the plug to reboot. After this happened is when I would immediately reboot to clear the error.

I've run memory tests for hours until I'm blue in the face, RAMS are good anyway you check and my overclock is very mild as you can see.
I don't have a clue what would cause a random reboot after sitting idle for two weeks. I'm sure the reboot and hard lockup hasn't done the operating system any good. Any ideas?

Is there a newer bios available?

Was there a Windows update that had installed and needed to reboot to finish the install?

Last edited:
s]Is there a newer bios available?[/s]

Was there a Windows update that had installed and needed to reboot to finish the install?

Trents,

I haven't checked BIOS revisions since building, there could be. I haven't checked the one I have.

Windows update is possible but I'm set for doing a manual reboot after getting one.

Are you sure you have the right Intel chipset drivers installed for the Z170? All other proper drivers installed?

If the restart was a blue screen affair then look at the crash dump file. A free program called "Who Crashed" can make that easy.

If the restart was a blue screen affair then look at the crash dump file. A free program called "Who Crashed" can make that easy.

Trents,

Reboot was a normal restart so I'm wondering if an update superseded my manual restart after an update setting. System was on power down so I didn't see anything until the sound appeared.

JF,

I'll check my BIOS vesion.

You might want to check bios to see if Wake on Lan is enabled as well.

Trents,

I can't find a "Wake on LAN" or similar anywhere in the BIOS. I can tell you the Chipset Error never happened on my initial build, it happened after a Windows update about a year or so ago. I remember because I said to myself "Where the hell did that come from!"

JT,

BIOS is the first one: V1.00

Windows driver updates are sometimes buggy and it's necessary to return to an earlier driver version. Windows will update it again at some later date but hopefully they have it fixed by then.

Back