• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build. Any final suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your GPU is rather expensive. What kind of monitor are you using?

Right now just one 1920x1200 but hopefully will have 3 (probably 3 1080p not 1200p) by the end of the year. (Either that or at the very least I will buy a second screen and have a game running on the 1200p and have a regular 1080p screen for other stuff.)

Think this card is overkill? I wasn't sure. I was looking at a 280x but seemed like this one was $100 more and would last significantly longer. I do hope to have a 4k if I ever get a good deal on them (so probably not for a long long time).

I was also looking at possibly getting an oculus rift in the future. Someone told me it was going to be one either 1080p or even 1440p screen per eye on the final version.

I don't think its overkill, especially with 3x1080p in planning.

I don't think its overkill, especially with 3x1080p in planning.
I don't know what I am doing for sure but this is a very probable possibility.

Also had a question about fan speed. Seem like I keep seeing topics mention changing max fan speed for the r9 290s from like 40% to 50% or something to that effect. Why would the max fan speed be anything but 100%?

Also had a question about fan speed. Seem like I keep seeing topics mention changing max fan speed for the r9 290s from like 40% to 50% or something to that effect. Why would the max fan speed be anything but 100%?

I would just leave it on auto, personally.

People do it for quieter operation.

Cause its very loud. If you want your cards to have a better fan curve* set up a custom curve in the options section of the afterburner/riva software that you're using.

*card hits x temp y% fan speed is reached to cool it back down

Hey guys quick question. I put together my computer and booted into bios. It said the cpu temperature was 44 and then was going back in forth between 44 and 52! I'm assuming this isn't normal.
Seemed like most forum topics I looked at said it should be something like 30. I'm guessing this probably means I messed up the thermal paste?
Or could it be something else?

I am using the stock heatsink and so I did not apply any myself.

If I do need to reapply it whats the best guid (prefer video) on how to do that. And are there any chain stores that sell it? I'd rather not ahve to order it off amazon and wait two more days!

(also any good guides on wiring? Mines just seems so messy but not sure what to do!)

Also I ended up with the amd fx 8350.
Thanks!

The BIOS isn't a pure idle condition.

The stock heatsink is meh at best, but it works.

Reapplying thermal paste you just clean off the old with some rubbing alcohol and apply a small (a bit smaller than a small pea) dot in the center of the CPU and then clamp the heatsink on.

Guide? Not really. Just route them behind the motherboard.

The BIOS isn't a pure idle condition.

The stock heatsink is meh at best, but it works.

Reapplying thermal paste you just clean off the old with some rubbing alcohol and apply a small (a bit smaller than a small pea) dot in the center of the CPU and then clamp the heatsink on.

Guide? Not really. Just route them behind the motherboard.

So do you think my temperature is fine? I was scared to continue withs setting up since I was worried about my cpu.

I do not have any now so I don't want to have to wait till I reapply if I don't have to.

You can get thermal paste at most stores that sell computer components like microcenter or frys. The FX CPU's are safe up to about 65c so not to much to worry about but 50 at idle is definitly high. You should seriously consider an aftermarket cooler.
I like this video for applying paste.

EDIT: notice the air bubbles that form using the spread method. Air bubbles are bad. I no longer use that method. Small pea works best like atmin said.

Last edited:
In case anyone wanted to see the final build.

Thank you all very much!

Attachments

• 20140524_123153.jpg
    20140524_123153.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 20140524_144154.jpg
    20140524_144154.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 27
Back