• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you downgrade from windows 8 back to 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mckevstah

Just in case some important programs don't work when i upgrade, can i downgrade back to windows 7?
And if so, is the purchase still on my account so i cna download again at a later date?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums. If at all possible, install Windows 8 on a new hard drive partition then dual boot. That way you can simply reboot into Windows 7 any time you want. Have both Windows 7 and Windows 8 installed if you can.

Otherwise, you may have to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch if you install Windows 8 over it.

Welcome to the forums. If at all possible, install Windows 8 on a new hard drive partition then dual boot. That way you can simply reboot into Windows 7 any time you want. Have both Windows 7 and Windows 8 installed if you can.

Otherwise, you may have to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch if you install Windows 8 over it.

Well i was thinking of doing the upgrade, so i keep all my information and programs, games etc. And its only £24

Thanks for the response and welcoming :)

**Edit** Can i make an exact copy of my windows 7 system on a second hard drive?

Last edited:
Yes, that is exactly how you would accomplish your goal.

It is generally a good idea to set things up exactly how you like them to be then image the operating system partition so that you can reimage it back to the state it was in at the time you made the image.

Windows 7 has its own backup, Western Digital offers Acronis to registered users, or you can get Acronis or Norton Ghost or this one I use:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

Slashdot quote:
"Windows 8 is a downgrade, not an upgrade, because it steals users' freedom, security and privacy."
obvious-lol

Back