• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't solve hard drive issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

justin_m135

I have a strange issue that I’m not able to figure out and was hoping someone on here could point me to a solution. I have 2 WD 8TB red drives; when I plug them in externally through USB they work just fine, they show up on my computer I can format them and do whatever. When I take though same drives and plug them internally to my computer I get nothing, it doesn’t even sound like they spin up. I then tested this with a 1TB Seagate drive I had laying around to test the board and power supply. You could hear the drive spin up, and it showed up on my computer. I am using an Asus x99 deluxe 2 board with a Corsair RM750i power supply. What could be causing my issue and what could be the fix? Thanks

Do they show up in your BIOS when connected internally? What operating system?

They don't show up in my BIOS. I do have a SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe installed and working. It is running Windows 10 64bit. Because I have the M.2 I made sure to plug the hard drives into sata port 1 and 2.

Have you confirmed SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS?
Do they spin up if you only connect power and no data?

Yup, all the SATA ports and enabled through the BIOS. I did try just having the power connected and it didn't sound like they spun up. I thought maybe bad power cable, but I also tried another power cable with the drives and still nothing.

Do you happen to have another PC you can try the drives in?

I'll borrow one from work and try that later on today and post what happens from that.

First, have the drives been initialed?

Second, have the drives been used in RAID on another system or in NAS?

They don't show up in my BIOS. I do have a SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe installed and working. It is running Windows 10 64bit. Because I have the M.2 I made sure to plug the hard drives into sata port 1 and 2.
So to be clear other ports (not 1-2) disable when using a M.2 based drive? The manual shows PCIe slots/lanes disable in this case. What CPU are you using?

Have you tried different sata ports?

First, have the drives been initialed?
if the drives were not initialized, they would not have shown up when using USB either. They should still show up in the BIOS while in RAID or formally in a NAS too (does NAS do something different that it isn't a whole drive? A NAS is just network connected).

Last edited:
Do you happen to have another PC you can try the drives in?

I tried the drives in another computer and they still didn't show up.

- - - Updated - - -

So to be clear other ports (not 1-2) disable when using a M.2 based drive? The manual shows PCIe slots/lanes disable in this case. What CPU are you using?

Have you tried different sata ports?

if the drives were not initialized, they would not have shown up when using USB either. They should still show up in the BIOS while in RAID or formally in a NAS too (does NAS do something different that it isn't a whole drive? A NAS is just network connected).

Yes, I have tried other sata ports, but for my board ports 1 and 2 aren't disabled. Even when putting them in other sata ports they don't show up. The motherboard is a Asus X99 deluxe ii.

My CPU is a Intel Core i7-5820K

Ok, so its seen by USB connection............ try wiping out all partitions and format each of them and see if that helps. Not sure what is up, but that would be my next step.

Are they real WD Red drives or Shucked ones from an external enclosure? I got some of the cheap EasyStore USB 8TB WD drives from a deal Best Buy was running a few months back but they are enterprise level White Label 8TB Reds which use a different Sata power standard on the 3.3v line. In many cases if they sense the 3.3v line they will shut off the power to the drive. This is designed for enterprise servers to be able to power cycle drives remotely without having to physically do it. I had to modify my Norrco backplane to remove the 3.3v line in order to get the drives to power up. You can alternatively use the 5.25" to Sata adapters without the 3.3v line to power them also and bypass this issue, that is if you used shucked drives.

Are they real WD Red drives or Shucked ones from an external enclosure? I got some of the cheap EasyStore USB 8TB WD drives from a deal Best Buy was running a few months back but they are enterprise level White Label 8TB Reds which use a different Sata power standard on the 3.3v line. In many cases if they sense the 3.3v line they will shut off the power to the drive. This is designed for enterprise servers to be able to power cycle drives remotely without having to physically do it. I had to modify my Norrco backplane to remove the 3.3v line in order to get the drives to power up. You can alternatively use the 5.25" to Sata adapters without the 3.3v line to power them also and bypass this issue, that is if you used shucked drives.

Well now I feel stupid. You were right, once I removed that cable they spun right up. It seems when I was searching before I wasn't using the right keywords. Thank you to everyone for helping me solve this, I really appreciate all the help :thup:

Good info.
I learned something new today. :)

Back