• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant unlock - AMD sempron 140 2.7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ptswt

Registered
Tried unlocking the second core on my AMD sempron 140 2.7 through Bios with no luck.

Once I check the box in bios to enable, boot windows then check again with system requirements or cpuz it shows up as two cores , but within a minute or so the computer will restart itself.

1. anything I can do to fix this?
2. is it worth doing anyway?
3.any other info you need?

Thanks for your time.

----------------------------------------------
update page 3.

UPDATE*

installed athlon ii x2 270 3.6

2hzls1c.png.jpg

Last edited:
Responded!!! Ain't nobody in here paid to do this stuff.

Second core locked because it is actually bad. Up Vcore and test. If that does not help, then forget unlock.

thanks.
what about overclocking it?

Ive tried with AMD overdrive but the CPU core 0 multiplier is already at the max - 13.5 x.

According to the youtube noob vid I watched you can turn that up on the sempron 140 2.7.

( yes Noob )

a pic:

351uwsp.png.jpg

PLEASE RESPOND, UNLESS....

aint_nobody_got_time_for_that.gif

Last edited:
The core speed multiplier is locked on that CPU but you can still overclock it by raising the HT Reference frequency (what we usually call the fsb or "front side bus") up from the stock 200 mhz. The processor frequency is a product of the fsb and the core speed multiplier. So at the stock 2700 MHz the multiplier is 13.5x (200x13.5=2700). When you can't raise the multiplier, you raise the fsb. For instance to get the CPU to run at 3000 MHz you would raise the fsb from 200 to approximately 222 MHz since 13.5x222=3000 mhz.

However, if you do that you will need to start the memory frequency, the HT Link frequency and the CPUNB frequency at lower than stock values so that they don't become sources of instability. The memory frequency, the HT Link frequency and the CPUNB frequency are "tuned" to the fsb and any changes to the fsb will also make changes to these other three frequencies.

I know this must all be very confusing at this point but if you will download and install CPU-z I can show you how this works and how these frequencies interrelate with one another. The task is to increase the fsb in order to overclock the cores without driving these other component frequencies faster than they can tolerate.

Last edited:
Are you using the stock cooler than came boxed with the CPU?

Yep stock cooler.

k15aqd.png.jpg

qsmusk.png.jpg

Ive changed the value to 230, should I now change the values on the red box to the right? what would be a good amount?

Need you to add "Memory" and "SPD" tabs to the CPU-z attachment. We would prefer you use the bios to overclock rather than AMD Overdrive. Overdrive can be unstable and flaky and it can report wrong values for frequencies and voltages sometimes. If you could take digital camera pics of the overclocking sections of bios and attach them we could pinpoint the items you would need to adjust. We like to encourage people to learn to do things the right way rather than rely on crutches like Overdrive.

Disable "AMD K8 Cool N Quiet control".

CPU Host Clock Control = FSB. This is the CPU "speeder upper". Take it off Auto. Stock speed is 200 mhz.

HT Link Frequency: Take it off of Auto and set it to 8x or 1600 MHz to start with to give it room to grow.

CPU Northbridge Freq.: Take it off of Auto and set it 8x or 1600 MHz to give it room to grow.

Set Memory Clock: Take it off of Auto and but leave it on x5.33 which at the stock 200 MHz FSB will give you a ram frequency of 1066. This will give it room to grow.

System Voltage Control: Take it off of Auto so you can manually adjust the voltages of the controls below it as necessary.

Next, repost with attached pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD so we can check out some of the changes you made in bios.

A bit off topic but my sempy 140 would not unlock with coolNquiet enabled, but with it dissabled it unlocked no problem FYI

Looks like his cpu and all 140 Semprons are C2 stepping processors. Take a little more voltage than C3 stepping processors and end a little short of what the C3's will do most likely and more so from heat rising on C2 stepping.

Looks like his cpu and all 140 Semprons are C2 stepping processors. Take a little more voltage than C3 stepping processors and end a little short of what the C3's will do most likely and more so from heat rising on C2 stepping.

Yep, the one i have is a C2 and caps out at around 4ghz, don't know how stable it is at that speed but it runs benches.

No, your'e cpu is fine,those sempys are probably one of the best chips you can get to learn the ropes of overclocking, and they can give good processing power for such a small price, don't knock the sempy's, I love them and have had loads of them, there probably one of, if not my favourite processor to overclock.

Sweet. Ill probably upgrade to quad at least in the next few months but this will be good practice.

The time to try the core unlocking would be now, before you overclock the CPU: "CPU Unlock" would need to be enabled. That's really all there is to it. Even if it seems to work at first you would need to stress test it to check for stability. To do that, download and install Prime95 and HWMonitor. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 "just stress testing" blend test. Watch the CPU and core temps in HWMonitor. If either begin to exceed about 65c, stop the test. The CPU temp may be expressed as a generic sensor reading in the TMPINx section of HWMonitor. If so the CPU temp would correspond to TMPIN2 since you have a Gigabyte board. CPU temp is really CPU socket temp, read from a sensor on the motherboard. Core temp is the temp of the processor itself.

If you fail the test (blue screen, lockup, spontaneous restart or one of the Prime95 core workers drops out) then try adding .025 to the CPU Voltage Control which would need to be taken off of Auto, of course. Then retest.

CPU-z reflects that you correctly changed the bios values I outlined. You are ready to start overclocking when you are done with the core unlocking experiment.

Last edited:
Agreeing with Trents. Disable all power saving BS, manually set your Vcore, and try to unlock again. If it's do-able, you can overclock from there.

Back