• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant unlock - AMD sempron 140 2.7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
updated info.

after removing the fan the heat sink still had quite a lot of dust. fully cleaned heat sink and fan:

nehljc.png.jpg

after blend test:

ioq9hj.png.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you did case cleaning and helped a lot. Now it would be time to change the compound between the cpu and cpu heatsink since it has likely dried and is not transferring heat to the heatsink to be removed by the heatsink fan. If that does not lower the core temp any, then you have almost zero headroom for overclocking with the current cpu cooler. Just about no room for overclocking in fact.
RGone...

Looks like you did case cleaning and helped a lot. Now it would be time to change the compound between the cpu and cpu heatsink since it has likely dried and is not transferring heat to the heatsink to be removed by the heatsink fan. If that does not lower the core temp any, then you have almost zero headroom for overclocking with the current cpu cooler. Just about no room for overclocking in fact.
RGone...

I'll get some Thermal paste on Monday and report back.

for the mean time, could I try to unlock the second core again or is this a bad idea?

My FPS on Modern warfare has shot up to 60+ after the clean, was around 20 before.

I think the opinion of those posting to your thead earlier was that the locked core was locked because it was defective for real.

I'll get some Thermal paste on Monday and report back.

for the mean time, could I try to unlock the second core again or is this a bad idea?

My FPS on Modern warfare has shot up to 60+ after the clean, was around 20 before.

I would not try unlocking the second core again until you see if redoing the thermal paste brings temps down. If you unlock the second core it will run hotter. But I think you will still find it's a no go with unlocking that other core.

Your single core sempy should be running super cool right now at stock volts and clocks. You're at ~55C at the core, where as you should be seeing temps in the 30s idle, even with the stock heatsink and fan. So, there is definitely a problem somewhere, how many fans are in your case?

I would definitely sort this temperature problem out before considering upgrading to a quad core for that system. A quad is only going to run hotter.

how many more degrees can i increase this by? ( core 0 1 temp )

You have about 5-10c temp headroom on the cores I'd say. 55-60c wold be the limit. Now make sure these temps you report are after Prime95 has run for 20 minutes or so.

Yeh post 51 is after blend test.

ill try 4g then report back with blend test report.

You neglected to post a pic of the SPD tab from CPU-z which will display the capabilities of your memory and manufacturer recommended timings and voltages at various frequencies it's capable of. When you post pics of CPU-z you should post images of these three tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. Please repost those pics.

Most likely you got the restart because of one or more of these issues:

1. insufficient core voltage
2. memory frequency exceeds the capability of the memory
3. HT Link frequency and/or NB frequency are too high

Right now your memory is running at 1473 mhz. (736.5x2). It's only rated for 1333 mhz, correct?

Back