• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

change drives and matrix raid ... how to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i686

hi'
I would like to have the exact same drives for my raid array,
currently running with one 250gb maxtor 16mb cache, and one WD 250 gb 8 mb cache ... matrix raid 0+1 ...
I'm quite sure that I could get better perf using a pair of disk,
I found a WD 250 gb 16mb cache built for raid .."forgot the ref"

I guess that at first I have to unplug the second drive and plug back one of the new one, then ... ?
put the new drive as first one and plug in the second new drive?
is it going to rebuilt itself?
do I have to enter the matrix raid setup thing to rebuild it?
meaning ctrl+i at startup?

and btw, how can I resize the raid, I would like to change the raid0 from 100gb to 80gb, how to do?
is it possible to do it without loosing data?
how you guys do?

thanks for help ;)
thanks much, much :)

i686

i686 said:
I guess that at first I have to unplug the second drive and plug back one of the new one, then ... ?
put the new drive as first one and plug in the second new drive?
is it going to rebuilt itself?
do I have to enter the matrix raid setup thing to rebuild it?
meaning ctrl+i at startup?

Since you're using Matrix Raid 0 & 1 volumes in two disks. Replacing one of the drive "always" destroys that Raid 0 volume while Raid 1 will still safe and can be synchronized later.

My suggestion is use drive imaging apps like Acronis (best one) or DriveXML (more hassle but free)) to backup your Raid 0 into other drive 1st (assuming that Raid 0 is your boot/OS/apps drive).

Once the new drive installed, you can restore back the Raid 0 from the image you had saved. While the Raid 1 will be automatically re-synch once the OS is up by the Intel Matrix program.

It sounds like you never to try/exercise in simulating a drive disaster scenario do you ? :)
If you can succesfully replace that single drive, think again, you're now ready for "real" single drive failure failure.

Again, this is a high risk activity, the best option is always to have a external backup on your raid 1 volume, nothing can beat that. :)

i686 said:
and btw, how can I resize the raid, I would like to change the raid0 from 100gb to 80gb, how to do? is it possible to do it without loosing data?

I'm afraid you can not resize that Raid 0 without affecting the Raid 1 volume. Meaning, you will have to drain the whole Raid 0 and especially Raid 1 (important stuffs) to other backup drive. And re-do the whole thing again from zero, I know, its painfull, but that is the only method that I know. :bang head

That is why, in Matrix Raid configuration, the most important thing is to decide the size of that Raid 0 volume at the 1st place. Once the second volume created either Raid 0,1 or 5 "and" they're occupied, it is impossible to resize it anymore without some pain. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
hi'
thanks Bing ;)
I experienced a lot of disasters with drives and else(I'm a Techy as a job) ;)
but it's not the subject :)

just not this familiar with raid array :(
and always nice to share experience :)

currently raid0 /OS, programs etc .. is 100gb, so I'll go for the pain stuff, to get 80bg which is fairly enough, and then resize the raid1 will be around 200gb, fine :)

I already have backups, ext drive made with ghost, both raid0 and 1, plus some more backups on another small ext drive to be safe ;)

so, let's order these drives and then ... on work!

and then I can order or make a box for storage with these 2x250bg wich will give me a nice 500mb for backup and storage, downloads ... and sites that I build, nice option, and fairly affordable, can get them at around 160€ for both new WD :)

alright, let's go ... ;)

i686

The easiest way to change raid around is have a extra HD and clone the raid drives with Acronis. Make your raid changes and clone it back. I keep one in a safe and update it about once a month. I use a 80 gig Seagate that cost 43 bucks.
Just remember, if you use one of your existing data drives for cloning, it will wipe all the data and partitions during cloning.

thanks ;)

hi'
thanks for advices :)
I backup the two raid drives C (raid0) and D (raid1), I change from a cracked ghost to a legit acronis, home edition 10 /50$
now, I'm going to order these two WD (raid ready built) 2x250gb
and there I'll be off for a day, time to set it all back ;)

i686

Back