• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choices choices..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viol8ted

Looking to build a new pc. I've got it narrowed down to two boards, which would you build with? The Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H or the Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2. For cpu I'm going to use DC. Looking to overclock some of course and mainly for gaming.

I have a Gigabyte Z97-UD3H and there have been 4 BIOS upgrades so far and none are fully functional. I wish I would have ordered another Z87 chipset. The BIOS's seem to be a lot more stable. I can't tell you about the Sabertooth, but good luck with the Z97 chipset. I think they tried to push them to market too fast.

I read that the gigabyte bios on these boards are a bit nerfed. Maybe the deciding factor.....

For the kind of cooling the average person (basic water/air) is going to be using, I don't see any reason to go beyond the ASUS Z87-A.

I made the mistake with 2 of my builds of going with a premium motherboard. I never use all the features and my measly 4.8Ghz overclock (on air) is hardly pushing the board to its limits. I could have achieved what I'm doing on a lower end board in the $150 range and spent more money on my SSD, etc.

Gigabyte's bios's for Z97 may suck but ASUS RMA support sucks all around. Keep that in mind. You can't beat those Q connectors though.

Back