• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coming soon: 1 petabyte 3.5" hard drive that glows!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
UHDTV requires 24GB/s, and some estimate it rolling out within a decade. That would justify many more people needing much more space.

Actually, its 24Gbps, not 24GBps.

Still, that's a 3GBps data rate for a uncompressed UHDTV video stream. Thats only 333.3 minutes of uncompressed UHDTV video on a current 1TB drive. And there aren't too many drives (unless you go RAID) that can maintain a 3GBps through output for a full length movie. Hell, I can't even imagine what kinda setup and hardware one would need to keep up with a stream that large, and that's not counting the audio stream. :drool:

For the naysayers out there just remember that Bill gates himself said years ago that he could not foresee a day when a computer would need more than 4mb of ram....boy was he wrong!
My 1st computer had only 4mb ram (single chips btw) and 2x20mb hdd's

Petabyte drives will be needed very soon because engineers and software dev's will always find a way to use any hdd space they can find...look at how Windows gobbles up space...You can put Win95 on a 64mb thumb drive, and the latest windows requires how much disk space? 4-5 gb? The next OS will be more bloated than the previous..that is the nature of the beast.

So, because we can't use that much space right now, we shouldn't look forward to the technology?

I think we should scrap quantum computing too. Who needs more processing power than we have now?

If you said yes to either of those, I have an abacus with your name on it.

I want my abacus! :chair:

I like this idea... as long as it doesn't make me radioactive in the process. I can see the health people throwing a ton of flack over this idea.

Less radioactive then normal uranium.
Rather more toxic than lead though, heavy metal wise. So it goes.

Less radioactive then normal uranium.
Rather more toxic than lead though, heavy metal wise. So it goes.

Toxic or radioactive, I'm sure the state of CA would requires special taxes on ALL hard drives just to cover the waste disposal like they do with LCD displays, etc.

China in 10 years :

*Walking through a bazaar*

Hey, want to buy every song ever written?

Sure! But can you throw in every book ever written too?

Yeah why not, I'm in a good mood.

Record legal precedent on the news! Man is getting sued for 80 quintillion dollars! Unfortunately his net worth is less than 10,000$, woops.

Last edited:
i could fill a 1pb hdd in probably a few weeks i already have a 200tb cluster filled with random files that i have kept for a few years. still need to add more drives to put the rest of my files on i have a ton more to copy over from data disks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back