• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Not Working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Will try today. Will try shorting out pins 5 and 6 while the computer continues doing its reboot loops for about 4 times. If it doesn't work, we will try that a couple more times. If that doesn't work, we will see about pins 7 and 4, but she definitely cannot micro solder, so it'd be a small paper clip...

Should I make any changes in the bios? You think anything there may have caused the problem? (if this fixes it)

Just tried the 5 & 6 pin method about 3 times, holding it there for quite a bit while it tries to boot itself over and over. We did see a change in what the computer was doing. At a few points it would flash the lights we had connected to the computer. No beeps. Sometimes it would also try to boot and stop much quicker than before. I am not sure what this all means exactly.

Pins 7 & 4 yielded the same results. Anyone think the 4 to 8 pin cpu adapter could be doing anything?

Last edited:
Just try it with the original 4 pin, it should still boot
The other thing is the power supply might be dead and it took components out with it

Blue,

You should use this as a reason to make the trip and spend some time with your girl. I have a feeling you will never get this thing solved long distance.

Alright. TRYING to get her parents to allow me to go to her prom. Anyway. We are in an agreement that this is a motherboard problem? Anyone think there is a likelihood it could be the power supply? I am not too experienced with power supply problems. When a power supply dies, does it stop working all together or show signs of prolems like this case?

When some power supply's start to go out they sometimes shut down the PC or are hard starting up the PC however it wont make the PC boot loop.

How old are you for your use of language? I did google and I could not find where replacing PSU solved a boot loop. What happens inside the PSU?

Old enough to use it.
And the first couple hits on google pretty much covered it.
It is not the only thing that will cause a boot loop though.
Ram
GPU
Drivers
Motherboard
Corrupted bios
A bad HD
Will all cause a boot loop. Process of elimination is the only way to isolate it. Going off the information given, to the best of my ability, I would go with PSU first, then the board. Without the rig in front of me all any of us are doing is educated guessing anyway. My procedure would be to start with only the CPU only in the board and see if it loops. If it does, it pretty much narrows it down to PSU or board. If it doesn't, you'll need known good parts to sub in for further testing.

Last edited:
Do you think this power supply would be dangerous to other components to try it out?

Old enough to use it.
And the first couple hits on google pretty much covered it.
It is not the only thing that will cause a boot loop though.
Ram
GPU
Drivers
Motherboard
Corrupted bios
A bad HD
Will all cause a boot loop. Process of elimination is the only way to isolate it. Going off the information given, to the best of my ability, I would go with PSU first, then the board. Without the rig in front of me all any of us are doing is educated guessing anyway. My procedure would be to start with only the CPU only in the board and see if it loops. If it does, it pretty much narrows it down to PSU or board. If it doesn't, you'll need known good parts to sub in for further testing.

I concur. Process of elimination is suggested to isolate the issue otherwise as Scotty just mentioned; we're throwing out ideas and hope one sticks to the wall.

Back