• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Not Working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Old enough to use it.
And the first couple hits on google pretty much covered it.
It is not the only thing that will cause a boot loop though.
Ram
GPU
Drivers
Motherboard
Corrupted bios
A bad HD
Will all cause a boot loop. Process of elimination is the only way to isolate it. Going off the information given, to the best of my ability, I would go with PSU first, then the board. Without the rig in front of me all any of us are doing is educated guessing anyway. My procedure would be to start with only the CPU only in the board and see if it loops. If it does, it pretty much narrows it down to PSU or board. If it doesn't, you'll need known good parts to sub in for further testing.

Wouldn't he also need a stick of RAM? Essentially, I piece together a minimum bootable system (CPU, board, 1 stick of RAM, PSU, keyboard, mouse and monitor), and if that doesn't work, I move the RAM to all other slots. If that doesn't work, I try a different stick of RAM in the same fashion. If it still boot loops, it's usually the PSU, board or CPU.

Before you try all of that though, is there anything connected to the front panel I/O? I've seen grounding issues on front panel USB cause boot loops, and that would be an easy thing to troubleshoot.

I am not sure if she has anything plugged into the front. I will have her remove the connections from the motherboard all together.

This system also has some lights plugged in and a couple other things to molex connectors. I will have her remove those aswell and try

- - - Updated - - -

Again, will a bad PSU destroy a new motherboard?

Jayztwocents just released a video of a computer showing the same symptoms... And you can tell in the video that it is the same board! It was fixed after the board put itself in bios recovery mode. We are going to try only replacing the motherboard because I figure the power supply should be alright.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284062-28-q6600-q8200-power-consumption
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-9800-gtx-plus/specifications

from those two sources I figured that the system the power supply was originally powering must've only been using around ~300W of power under full load. Only 60% of the PSU's capacity.

Also, i think that seals the deal for me ever buying Gigabyte parts

Last edited:
WE FIXED IT! I had her remove everything from the system that was not needed to boot. No drives, no power to drives, no lights, usb, etc. After that, the computer looped a few times and went into bios recovery. Windows did not want to boot and said "Inaccessible boot device". I had her boot into safemode and reboot, which fixed it for some reason. - Gonna hold on to the motherboard we bought for a couple weeks then return it if all is still fine.

Well I think it's great if it works when it's supposed to! :p Also, i think money should have gone into circuit protections instead of having a fall back. But with that said, they really need to have some pins or a button on the motherboard that you push to force a bios recovery!

It is suppose to be forcible Backup bios by holding the start reset button at the same time for 60 seconds, however It did not work for me my Gigabyte kept boot looping.

Seems like I had a socket 1150 board a year or so ago that actually had a switch for toggling between the current and the backup bios. You had to make sure you didn't have it set to the backup when you flashed or you would defeat the purpose.

This will help you guys. ;)
I'll leave it here.

Method #1:
1. Shut your PC down (if you're reading this guide, than your PC isn't working anyways)
2. Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again
3. Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the main BIOS if there's anything wrong with it.

Method #2:
1. Shut your PC down
2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.

Method #3:
Had to use this one in order to get my 990FXA-D3 working again. Backup BIOS kicked in using method #2, but I was back to the good ol' no signal state once the procedure finished..
1. Short out pins 1 and 6 on the main BIOS chip (pin #1 should be marked with a red dot or whatever)
2. Tell a friend (or a relative) of yours to press the power on button
3. Remove the ghetto-like jumper you're holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.
4. Backup BIOS should kick in again and everything will (hopefully) be fine.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-Forcing-backup-BIOS-on-Gigabyte-motherboards

STOPPED WORKING AGAIN!!!!! :mad:

it froze while we were playing CS:GO. We went to reset it and it started boot looping. Motherboard, power supply, or both. We are replacing both anyway. :(

The old Gigabyte boards are known for boot looping, mine did that I had to send it in to Gigabyte under warranty.

Gigabyte does not use clear Cmos jumper, they use Bios sensing that will get stuck in a boot loop.

I already warned you about the PSU. You said "it's probably ok". :shrug: Can't say that without testing or swapping.
It's PSU or board. The board isn't exactly a high end one either.
Problems don't fix themselves. You need to swap in something to figure it out.

Back